this thread is not "new" just fyi

my brother is buying a bass around Christmas, an ESP LTD F-54 in black if we can find it, but most likely a Traben array 4 string. But there's a chance that he'll get a ESP LTD F-104, depending on how much he feels like spending after Christmas. Ive been looking up some bass stuff and i found that people have put the lower 4 strings of a five string bass on a 4 string bass, B-E-A-D, this is cool because we play metal/hard rock.

my question is, is there a reason to buy one of those 2 basses over the other for this purpose? or is there any complications with sound/playability that doing this will cause?

these are the basses
Traben - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traben-Array-4-String-Bass-512053-i1147527.gc
ESP LTD - http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-F-104-Electric-Bass-516771-i1149095.gc

i just started guitar and neither of us have ever played bass so if I said anything retarded just lemme know

inb4 "buy ibanez for first bass"
ESP LTD AX-50
Rocktron VG08
Last edited by Meta||ica at Oct 15, 2009,
why not just get a five string? there isn't usually much if any of a price change
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by moody git
why not just get a five string? there isn't usually much if any of a price change

Some people don't like the wider neck. If he's starting out and gets a 5-string then he's not going to encounter that problem.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by Meta||ica
inb4 "buy ibanez for first bass"
Why? They make good basses, and I've heard good things about their 5-strings, which is really what you should be getting.
^Yeah, Ibanez basses are basically the best for the price (except for the GIO ones, they suck complete ass).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
^Yeah, Ibanez basses are basically the best for the price (except for the GIO ones, they suck complete ass).

I didn't know the GIO basses were that bad.. My gio guitar is pretty nice
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Personally I'd pick the ESP because it has the 35" scale length. then again i did like the traben i played a lot tonewise. tough choice.

You will have to get the nut filed down(or replaced for an upgrade in material...either way pretty cheap) and it'll need a new setup.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by cal1
I didn't know the GIO basses were that bad.. My gio guitar is pretty nice

The two I've played have been mediocre at best, really not something a beginner would want to play... They're very badly set up. The neck relief was far too much, and the action was high. Otherwise, it wouldn't stop buzzing.

The mid range Ibanez basses I've tried have been quite nice... low action, played almost like a guitar. Very easy to solo on.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
doesnt the guy from slipknot have a signature bass thats tunes b-e-a-d?

this 1: http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/Series-pgb
Playing since december 2004
Quote by BloodMoon666

*sports commentator voice*
And this thread is over!

Wonderful match by TS but in the end simply overwhelmed by the pure skill and simplicity of unfluffed. A true professional in action.
Last edited by unfluffed at Oct 16, 2009,
The links are dead, mate
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.