I've been tweeking the EQ on my Engl Screamer for a while now and I've been managing to get some good distorted tones from it...that is until I move position. When directly in front of the amp it sounds like a swarm of angry hornets, but when I'm at an angle, it's much better. I heard of a trick of covering the grill right in front of the speaker with duct tape, and this has helped a bit, but it still could afford lose a bit more. So, could you suggest some low tech/cost methods of dampening these directional highs? Could an EQ pedal help this maybe? Not got much money just now, and want to save for a few more goodies, so low cost is definately prefered.

Thanks GG&A!
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Your problem is your pickups in guitar are reacting with your tubes. This is pretty common.

either:

back away and at an angle all the time
make sure your guitar is grounded properly
shield the inside cavity of your guitar with copper foil
make sure you don't have any overly microphonic preamp tubes
make sure your amp is running on good power
make sure your amp and pedals are not sharing the same power strip
make sure your amp is grounded

Use process of elimination and if you think it might be one of those, then post back and I can give you more specifics on how to fix/troubleshoot.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Your problem is your pickups in guitar are reacting with your tubes. This is pretty common.

either:

back away and at an angle all the time
make sure your guitar is grounded properly
shield the inside cavity of your guitar with copper foil
make sure you don't have any overly microphonic preamp tubes
make sure your amp is running on good power
make sure your amp and pedals are not sharing the same power strip
make sure your amp is grounded

Use process of elimination and if you think it might be one of those, then post back and I can give you more specifics on how to fix/troubleshoot.

Epic reply, try all of this stuff.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
311 i think you misundersood. hes not getting feedback. his tone is extremely trebley right in front of the amp.

anyway, i had this same problem. in order to fix it, i got in the position i found most trebely, which was right in front of the amp at ear level with the speakers, and i eq'd from there. now wherever i stand, it sounds good.

you could also look into some beam blockers. i think thats what theyre called. they help to disperse the frequencies evenly in all directions
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Your amp's perceived sound will always sound very bright and loud if your positioned directly on axis with the speaker.

Not to mention engl amps are voiced to have a very prominent mid-high frequency range.

What ever you do, please refrain from doing anything directly to the speaker. No Blu-tak no sellotape, nothing.

Have the speaker facing away from you completely or throw a pillow in front of it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the responses folks (although I think you answered for the wrong problem, thanks for trying to help all the same 311 ). Haven't touched the speaker, I tried putting tape on the wire mesh protecting it, but not the actual speaker. Throwing my gig bag in front of it has help actually. I searched for those beam blockers (these things, right? http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html ), they sound like they might help, I'll see if I can find them around. They come in a few different sizes though, any ideas which one to go for?
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Quote by adam02
I still think a pillow is the way to go.

After a quick search, I think I'll actually just stick with this in the mean time at least. All I can actually find for them are forum reviews raving about how great they are, but few places to get them - all of which appear to be international (I'd rather buy stuff as close to home as possible). Once again, thank you everyone, the advice is much appreciated!
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Last edited by lyonk55 at Oct 15, 2009,