Page 1 of 2
So I wanted to know what is the best way to get a first gig that may have scouts there? If it's possible to get a gig with scouts at it, awesome, if not then ok.
Now I know scouts can just be at gigs but it would be nice if there's an easy way to find a plac with scouts
Thanks for any suggestions.
is there a place in your area that has a lot of bands play there? generally a place that frequently has gigs would be more likely to have a scout there.
but its hard to say since I dont live in your area...
hope that helped. if at all.
if by scouts you mean talent agents/ record execs, good luck, they don't just go to shows, especially featuring no-name bands. Focus on writing good songs, getting a following and doing some steady touring before you even think of cutting a deal. Trust me, we recorded our first 3 songs, and BAM we hit up Fat Wreck who (obviously) turned us down.
So how should we get on tours?
Also what would be good for recording songs that gives decent tone to give out promo CDs?
well to get on tours, you generally should be active in the music scene, and be known in your area, you know...get your name out there.
You have to have a reputation, specifically a good one, before you get on a tour or ever get signed.

and can you specify on what you want to know for recording? I mean, like software or mics or what?
Last edited by guitarmaniac182 at Oct 15, 2009,
I'm not familiar with either, I've never done any mixing or anything so I'm not sure what's good as far as software or mics
Just ask around.

Thats what my band did to get their first show.
If you get lucky it will be with big bands like ours was.
We played with Eyes Set To Kill!

Its not hard. Just ask clubs.
I don't like grapes, I like brownies.
If you have local band jam night, get there and do a couple of your songs before jamming with others. You never know who will be lurking at the bar.
Get to know a regular gigging band and ask them for a support slot.
Best of all is to get the other band a headline at a decent venue by hawking their demos around and they'll offer the support, no bother. I did this and ended up playing a half-hour opener with It Bites as the headline and my mates band in between. Scared the pants off us playing our third gig to about 3000 people.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Try asking around with other local bands in your area. Let 'em know you're looking for gigs, they'll probably hook you up.
Rig:
Ibanez RG270
Crate BV-120
Quote by Bearded_Seth
That's probably one of the most insightful things I've ever read in the Pit.
Grats, TS

Bastard Chain UG profile - Here
So what i'm getting out of this is it's not too hard to get a gig. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Quote by pedroskins
So what i'm getting out of this is it's not too hard to get a gig. Please correct me if I'm wrong

It's not hard at all, in fact I would say that it's easy to overreach. The way I've done it with most of my bands was to get whatever POS recording equipment was available and make a few demo tracks. They may not really sound good, but if you can tell that the performance is good and it's just a shitty recording, that's all you need to start off. Most venues that book fresh local bands are used to hearing tape-deck demos and booking bands based on them. Put the tracks on myspace, add bands and venues in your area, message venues asking to open for someone. If your local scene doesn't revolve around myspace as much as the one I'm in, then find venues physically, bring them a CD and ask to talk to whoever does booking, or just leave them a demo with your contact info on it. Then, once you get that show, practice like mad and promote the hell out of it. If someone else designs a flyer for the show put up a ton of those, or design your own and put it up everywhere.
Do most venues pay you for tickets sold? I've heard of a local venue(jaxx in Virginia) that they don't pay for tickets, the only money you get is from merchandise.
Quote by pedroskins
Do most venues pay you for tickets sold? I've heard of a local venue(jaxx in Virginia) that they don't pay for tickets, the only money you get is from merchandise.

i live less than five minutes from jaxx, so i know what you're talking about. that's because jaxx is a shitty venue that rips off new bands. unless you play heavy metal exclusively, look at jammin' java or the rock n roll hotel or black cat in dc.
Alright, thanks. I didn't really want to play at jaxx because they rip people off, but I will if no other venues take us.
Here's some key things to remember as you start gigging.

1 - No one outside your immediate fan base of friends knows anything about you, and that can be great. It helps becuase you havent been pigeon holed into a genre. Just tell people that you play Rock, Heavy Rock, etc. It helps with booking. In some extreme cases, metal can be a bad word, and vise versa. Be as diverse as possible when you start.

2 - Get lucky. Open mic nights are a great place to network, but if you want to open, your going to have have a venue set you up, or....have a another band give you some of thier time. Time = Money. My suggestion to you is simple, open for free or a small fee when you start. It eases the pain on the bands assisting you, and gets your name and faces out there. Get to know some of the local bands, be a regular at their shows. You might be suprised at the outcome. As they get to know you, they will begin to trust you.

3 - Dont pay to play unless you feel it wont hurt, but dont be afraid of playing for free at this time. Touring as a band is a huge toll on folks with regular jobs, and usually dosent happen to many local bands in the early gigging phase. Call some clubs, get a demo, make some cheap merch and have a ball on the local pub scene.

I hope it works out with you. 90% of the time, just gettin' chumy with a booker/pub owner is good enough to get a gig. Set up some of your own if you have a good list of contacts. play a few free shows around town if you can. Just get your name out there, and have fun doing it.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
In your last paragraph you said set up your own, do you mean set up some of my own gigs?
If you have never played a gig, you are in no position to be seeking out A&R reps. In fact, if I were you, I'd be praying that they DON'T come to the shows, because you guys are inexperienced and will almost definitely not have a cohesive stage show nailed down yet.
As for setting up shows, it depends on what the scene is like in your city. Some clubs are pay to play, where you're essentially renting the room for the night. The nice thing is, you get to keep all door receipts. The bad thing is, if not enough people come, you end up out of pocket. Other places will give you the room for free, and will give you a cut of the bar after they've sold a certain amount. It's rare for a bar to give a young band a guarantee, because you are not a known quantity; they have no idea if you're going to bring in 50 people, or five. The best best is to find independent promoters; most big cities have a ton of hipsters active in the music community, setting up shows. They probably won't pay you much, if at all, but you need to get your feet wet before you swim, so it's a good place to start.
So making our own flyers and merchandise and myspace stuff won't be as good as an independent promoter?
And also what about stage gear? What should I use for amps, and should we make sure it's set up or get someone to set it up?
Quote by pedroskins
So making our own flyers and merchandise and myspace stuff won't be as good as an independent promoter?
And also what about stage gear? What should I use for amps, and should we make sure it's set up or get someone to set it up?

It won't hurt if you make your own flyers and merch, as for stage gear, bring extra of EVERYTHING. Cables, picks, strings, sticks, heads, mics, etc everything that COULD go wrong will.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by pedroskins

What? One has nothing to do with the other. A promoter isn't going to make a myspace for you, or merchandise. What he is going to do is organize a show for you and the other bands on the bill, and if he's doing his job right, he'll advertise it. If you suck, or don't bring any people in, then he won't work with you again in the future, so be sure to promote the hell out of it on your own. Again, if he's doing his job right, he'll have flyers printed up. If not, print them on your own.
As for the gear... how long, exactly have you been playing? And how old are you? Because if you have to ask questions like that, you are not ready to be getting up on stage.
I'm seventeen and there's no way I'm ready to get up on stage. Maybe the summer of 2010, we actually just recruited our drummer today. I'm just trying to get an idea about this stuff so we know what's up
What I mean about gear is, is it a good idea to use a half stack or would a tube amp be better?
Also another question, Ive been told it's a really great thing to tell all your friends to come to the show. If some of our friends can't make it and we have just an ok crowd, would venues understand if we sold a lot of tickets?
It's hard for me to word this but would it be good to tell our friends, even if they can't come to the show they should still buy tickets?
Okay first thing first, edit button, use it.

It is good to get friends to gigs, but it doesn't matter if you can't get many of them there. There will be other people there, and if you put on a good show and entertain the crowd they wont mind.

My last gig I felt was a bit flat fan wise, but we entertained the audience and we're playing there again this week, with some pretty big name local bands.

As for age, I'm 17 and I play on stage, I know younger people play on stage. It's nothing to do with age and all to do with confidence.

Finally, amps. Use what sounds good. A good venue will PA you anyway, so volume isn't a massive problem.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by pedroskins
What I mean about gear is, is it a good idea to use a half stack or would a tube amp be better?

What kind of music? What do you own? I'm assuming by tube amp, you mean a combo amp (many half stacks ARE tube amps). What kind of sound do you want?
If you don't own an amp, you're in trouble. Most venues do not own their own guitar amps, and it would be a really bad idea to ask the bands you're playing with to borrow gear the day of the show. It's not fair to them, and it reeks of amateurism.
Also, you would ask your friends to buy tickets to a show they aren't going to attend? You must have some damn generous friends. Personally, I work hard for my money, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend it on something I'm not going to use. Seeing as this is your first show, if they were real friends, they'd find a way to attend.
Last edited by koslack at Oct 19, 2009,
Right now i'm just using a practice amp so it's nothing great.
How should I keep the crowd entertained? I know having lots of energy on stage is a good thing but what else? And what can I do to show lots of energy?
also abou confidence, what's a good way to keep calm? I've noticed I get kinda sweaty and nervous when people watch me play guitar.
Ok that was for the first post

second post: also like above, I only have a practice amp so it's nothing great
I play rock/metal
Ok, so go do some research. Go find an amp that sounds good and that you can afford.
As for entertaining the crowd, first worry about writing good songs. Then worry about playing them in the pocket. Get the basics down first, the rest you can worry about after.
If you want to stay calm while playing shows, you need to play shows. Same thing as anything else. If you want to be a good tennis player, you play a lot of tennis. See where I'm going with this?
Quote by pedroskins
Right now i'm just using a practice amp so it's nothing great.
How should I keep the crowd entertained? I know having lots of energy on stage is a good thing but what else? And what can I do to show lots of energy?
also abou confidence, what's a good way to keep calm? I've noticed I get kinda sweaty and nervous when people watch me play guitar.
Ok that was for the first post

You need to stop asking so many questions.

There are some things we can't teach you. Stage presence is one
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Hey, I'm just wondering what to expect. I don't wanna go up on stage and have it a complete disaster.
Is it going to discourage fans or venue owners? I would assume the venue owners would understand if they knew it was a first show.
Quote by pedroskins
Is it going to discourage fans or venue owners? I would assume the venue owners would understand if they knew it was a first show.

If it was your first show, you would have no fans. So don't worry about that. You won't gain any more with a poor show, but that's not a concern when you're having a very first gig.

Dude, you really have to buy a guitar amp that you can gig with. A practice amp will not do.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I was planning on getting a tube combo after Christmas. I would think a 30 watt tube would keep up with a drummer
30 watts should do you fine. Dont worry so much about the journey, getting to the stage is part of the lure. When your ready, youll be there, and yet you still wont feel ready. For now, practice is the key. Practice, rehearse, practice, and practice some more.

My advice is simple. Not that it applies to you, but.....If you dont know how to change your own strings, gigging should be the last thing on your mind. That is to say, dont rush it. You have a lot or learning to do, and its fun the whole way.

Good luck and Godspeed.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
If your school has it, battle of the bands or a talent show is a great way to get the jitters out, also, if a friend has a party that needs a band is another good way but as far as a first "real" gig, I would suggest finding someone you know who is in a band that is gigging, and kind of attach yourselves to their underbelly like a remora on a shark. Go to their show, get a show at the same place, play before them, whatever.
First post: It would help to practice changing them quicker though in case something happens.

Second post:
yes my school does have a battle of the bands so it would be nice to do that and get us out to the school.
The only problem is we're not the people that hang out with all the rock/metal heads at our school. We do truly love metal and rock and all that and these people probably don't get that and would not take us seriously cuz all those metalheads at our school are mostly jerks and dicks.
Well that was kinda off topic but I don't want us getting a bad rep cuz of people who won't take us seriously because we don't hang out with them
Last edited by pedroskins at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by pedroskins
First post: It would help to practice changing them quicker though in case something happens.

Unless you are a successful band with a stage crew, which you aren't, if a string breaks while playing, you are going to continue the gig with less strings. A back-up guitar is useful for these situations, but not always possible.

Quote by pedroskins

Second post:
yes my school does have a battle of the bands so it would be nice to do that and get us out to the school.
The only problem is we're not the people that hang out with all the rock/metal heads at our school. We do truly love metal and rock and all that and these people probably don't get that and would not take us seriously cuz all those metalheads at our school are mostly jerks and dicks.
Well that was kinda off topic but I don't want us getting a bad rep cuz of people who won't take us seriously because we don't hang out with them

This is not relevant to you getting a gig, at all. If you want to play, play. If you are good people will like you, regardless of who you are friends with.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Page 1 of 2