So people...

I'm looking for a new acoustic guitar cuz my cheap Fender is falling apart.

I'm looking for something under 500 bucks.
What would you suggest?
On acoustic I basically play anything except metal of course.
I usually play original songs that are kind of pop punkish so I use it a bit for power chords as well. But mainly I play open chords.

Thanks in advance UG.

Edit: I need quite a bit of sustain and I prefer brighter sound. But something in between bright and dark would be the best.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Last edited by Kozlic at Oct 15, 2009,
Not sure if you get them in the US but Crafter make some brilliant models around that price. And most of them are available in electro-acoustic which sounds like it would suit you.

Look out for solid tops
Real wood (obviously)
Great sound
Overall feel
Action

Take a friend along to hellp judge

Good luck
Quote by Chilli 3000
Not sure if you get them in the US but Crafter make some brilliant models around that price. And most of them are available in electro-acoustic which sounds like it would suit you.

Look out for solid tops
Real wood (obviously)
Great sound
Overall feel
Action

Take a friend along to hellp judge

Good luck

I've got my brother...my bands bass player. Hes got a good enough ear.
What do you think of Takamine EG523SC?
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
seagull original s6 has lots of sustain and a bright sound that can be tamed by using silk and steel strings - which you can afford with the money you'd have left over. if you prefer a narrower neck, you could go with the seagull slim s6 or the yamaha fg730s, which might come closer soundwise without a string change. both are well-made and sound great, and i would consider them at the top of their price class.
Well I kinda need bright guitar..that's why I might like the takamines...
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Quote by obeythepenguin
^ I counted about 14-15 seconds on my Seagull Entourage, although I'm not sure offhand whether you'd call that "bright"; it has very heavy bass, and the treble tends to be muddy.

Takamines are certainly bright, but I don't know about the sustain because I've never played one.

my seagull has good bass, but also a lot of clarity on the high end. mine is a regular s6, though.. not sure how much it differs from the entourages.
I have tried several Takamine and what I can tell you is : go with Seagul. Best bang for the buck.
I would get a Ovation Celebrity CC28, I played it at GC its sounds great, looks great, built in tuner, and its really thin for an Acoustic.
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by obeythepenguin
^ I counted about 14-15 seconds on my Seagull Entourage, although I'm not sure offhand whether you'd call that "bright"; it has very heavy bass, and the treble tends to be muddy.

Takamines are certainly bright, but I don't know about the sustain because I've never played one.

My teacher's Takamine has about a 20-30 second sustain with silk & steel strings depending on how hard you pick the strings. Then again, he has a bone nut and saddle on it.
Quote by obeythepenguin
^ Thin acoustics are OK if you play mostly plugged in, but don't generally have much unplugged sound. Deep bowl Ovations can sound pretty good unplugged, if you happen to have the right touch (I don't).

I dont know, it sounded great for me
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight