Hi, I'm looking into buying a new amp. I'm in a band and we play hard/heavy rock and metal. Would a Peavey Valveking halfstack be suitable for this? I've heard some good and some bad things about them, so Im trying to get an idea as a whole.
Also, I've heard the standard Peavey cab doesn't pair well with the head, so what other cabinets of a simular price range would do a really good job?
Also, if there are any other amps that would suit my genre, then i'd be happy if would say.
Thanks for your time,
Paul.
- Get the head used
- Don't get the VK cab
- Swap the output transformer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
What's your budget?
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Ideally, I will spend up to £800, that's with the head and cabinet included, but I don't mind going a bit over, if I feel it's worth the extra money
i'd have thought you could do a lot better than a VK with £800. some of the laney heads are good value, the gh50/100L if you can live with one channel (i've only tried the vh version, which has 2 or 4 channels, depending on how you look at it).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Raijouta
- Get the head used
- Don't get the VK cab
- Swap the output transformer.

Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to swap the OT (parts+labour)?
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I've been looking into the Marshall 1960A cab, which I understands retails at around £460 leaving me just shy of £350 for a head...but this is just one option. Im trying to get as many different choices available.
To anyone who has replied so far, thankyou for taking the time to check this thread out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd have thought you could do a lot better than a VK with £800. some of the laney heads are good value, the gh50/100L if you can live with one channel (i've only tried the vh version, which has 2 or 4 channels, depending on how you look at it).

+1

I think the Laney's would be a better value too. They make good cabs as well. You could also look for a used Marshall cab instead of a new one. If you could look into used amps and heads you could get yourself one a killer set up.

Also look for used Orange Rockerverbs and Marshall JCM800s from the '80s.
^

you could also consider a 2x12 cab to save some more money- the framus 2x12 with v30s is around the £200-£250 mark (which I haven't tried, but hear it's good for the money), which'd leave you more like £600 for the amp head, which would give you an awful lot more options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jason43
The Heyboer is about $90US IIRC. No idea on the labor. Its an easy job though.

Okay, I'll look into it. Is replacing the choke also a worthwhile mod?
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000