So I joined this band, (which is very good musically and we get on well) a while ago but things are a bit of a struggle. The guy who formed it takes ages to do anything and is somewhat unorganized. He asked us to all chose songs to cover at first then he decided to drop them all except the ones he chose, so we all spend a few hours for no gain.

Basically after that he send an mp3 with a tune on it that i wanted to learn but it was so badly out of tune i couldnt play along, so asked him to do another which he said he would do but hasnt in 3 weeks.

Rehersals are a bit of a nightmare because we mindlessly jam through stuff not even recording it so for me its an expensive way of getting to know the band. Because of this i sent mp3s pdfs and guitar pros of my tunes and asked the guys to put their own parts on them and do whatever they wanted. Nothing was learned so again we jammed something that no one could remember. The bassist tried to intervene and step in saying what should be done but nothing was. Now he hasnt contacted anybody back and hasnt given the mp3 to us, or if he does there will only be a few days to jam over it rather than the week off we have had.

So im not sure if i should leave. The bassist is right on, learned everything and is a great player and bandmate, however he is leaving the country next May. I really dont want to form my own band again because its impossible to find the right guys especially if they dont learn the tunes (being prog its imperitive everyone learns the stuff before the band get together otherwise its a nightmare).

It is very difficult to get any musicians in this area especially those into prog music.
Last edited by lucertia. at Oct 15, 2009,
If I go there will be trouble, but is I stay it will be double.

But seriously if you go you wont have a band but if you stay you're just going to keep being frustrated. So I say leave and wait a bit and try to start up a new band, maybe do some writing in between so you already have material.
do like malcomb mclaren and get everybody mad at each other ,and say its his fault and get as many as you can to start a new band
Quote by sk8nalmost1394
If I go there will be trouble, but is I stay it will be double.

But seriously if you go you wont have a band but if you stay you're just going to keep being frustrated. So I say leave and wait a bit and try to start up a new band, maybe do some writing in between so you already have material.

I had my own band for 3 years and wrote about 15 songs, but again most of the band wouldnt learn the stuff.
Just leave. It just sounds like a bad situation.
That or tell them how you feel and if they aren't willing to change, then tell them you're leaving.
But really its all about what you want to do...hope I helped in some way, anyway.
I guess it really depends on how much the band means to you. If you want to try and get everything organized with it, then be prepared for a bit of hard work. Consider whether or not it would just be easier to join another band, or start another band.
I think you should try to make things work, before leaving. Get them all together and sit them down to have a talk about your problem, the direction of the band etc. Heck, lock them in a room if you have to. Trust me, I recently quit my old band because we never had good communication. Start it up, or else you'll pretty much have to leave.
luce, sounds to me like your problem is that you play prog... er, WANT to play prog. it's difficult to find guys that have the chops to handle what that genre dishes out.

most guys in prog metal bands hear the "metal" part and get excited, only to later realize they're not really into dream theater as much as they thought they'd be.

also, your bandmates sound lazy... or intimidated by the parts you write, or they think your parts suck, but lack the "prog" mindset to revamp them. i'm not saying which it is, i haven't heard you, but those are common pitfalls of prog bands. on top of that, your singer gave you a demo that ws so out of key that you couldn't play along. one of you has a terrible ear, and i think it' him since he hasn't gottan back to you with a new copy. a bad ear is kinda' the 2nd worst thing a singer can have (besides a terrible voice)... you can either work extra hard to show him what "right" is, or pack your shit and hit the road craigslist style. you might not end up in another prog band, but i'm sure you'll find something more productive than your current situation.

sorry to hear about losing your bassist... seems like he would've been a nice cornerstone to build a new band with. the other guys seem like turds tho.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 22, 2009,