The C major chord is related to Ionian mode of the C major scale.
It would be possible to make a list of all the chord's that start with C that correspond to modes of major scales.
Ionian/ C major CEG
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian/ C minor CEbG
and
Locrian.
I am having trouble figuring out what the notes for each triad version of the chord's would be.
Can someone help me out?
Edit:
I think they are:
CEG
CEbG
CEbG
CEG
CEG
CEbG
CEbGb
but I'm not sure if I'm right and I don't know what the notes for fuller(as in C13 versus C) versions are.
Last edited by Zombiechao at Oct 15, 2009,
I Shall assume that you know the intervals to each mode, which gives you:

Ionian: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Dorian: 1,2,b3,4,5,6,b7,8
Phrygian: 1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7,8
Lydian: 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7,8
Mixolydian: 1,2,3,4,5,6,b7,8
Aeolian: 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7,8
Locrian: 1,b2,b3,4,b5,b6,b7,8

Now if you where using the M,m,m,M,M,m,dim,M formula the mode you would use over each separate chord simply goes

C = C Ionian
Dm = D Dorian
Em = E Phrygian
F = F Lydian
G = G Mixolydian
Am = A Aeolian
Bdim = B Locrian

But if you wanted to keep each mode in C, and see what triad is formed which i think is what you where looking to do it gives you:

Ionian: 1,3,5 = C,E,G = Cmaj
Dorian: 1,b3,5 = C,Eb,G = Cmin
Phrygian: 1,b3,5 = C,Eb,G = Cmin
Lydian: 1,3,5 = C,E,G = Cmaj
Mixolydian: 1,3,5 = C,E,G = Cmaj
Aeolian: 1,b3,5 = C,Eb,G = Cmin
Locrian: 1,b3,b5 = C,Eb,Gb = Chalfdim

I hope that helps you out, cause the 1st half of this was kinda off track from you actual question so sorry for that
Last edited by Axe Samurai at Oct 15, 2009,
Thank you I think I understand this.
So if the tonic chord of a I II V I chord progression was a mixolydian one then the progression would be C Dm Gm C even though C major is enharmonic with it but produces C Dm G C?
Last edited by Zombiechao at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by Zombiechao
Thank you I think I understand this.
So if the tonic chord of a I II V I chord progression was a mixolydian one then the progression would be C Dm Gm C even though C major is enharmonic with it but produces C Dm G C?

thats an interesting way to look at it... that would fall into modal progressions if you wish... though the last line from Cmajor throws me a bit in the comparison