I bought a matching quad for my peavey triumph 120w 1x12 ( 6L6 GLC ) and I took the old tubes out but now I have no idea what to do.

I was told I need to "rebias" it but I don't even know what that is, I bought a multimeter and the tubes from Eurotubes.com

any help?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
Yeah, use google. There are a billion tutorials online (including on the site you ordered your tubes from) that will show you how to bias.
well I was on the ET website but it started talking about shocking yourself to death then I kinda freaked myself... I don't exactly know what im doing with a multimtere lol
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
You read it right. Tube amplifiers can be dangerous to work on if you don't know what you're doing. Your best bet is to have a qualified technician do it.
Find someone, like a tech, or amp shop, or even some guy (or gal!) who knows what they're doing. You can even ask GC or any music shop who they send their amps to for service.

Offer them an extra $50 to let you peek over their shoulder, or give you the run-down as you observe. Some will let you, some will tell you to get lost, but you can always ask.

It's not hard, but a simple mistep can be fatal. No joke.

If things like plate voltage, filter caps, and cathode current mean nothing to you, you cannot bias an amp.
Plate voltage, filter caps and cathode current mean nothing to me.

So now I'm stuck with a matching quad 6L6 .. and my amp is rendered useless until I come up with like 100$ to get it biased, even when ET website is telling me not to go to a tech because they might just eff you over and tell you you're tubes failed so you have to buy new ones?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Quote by Rutch
Find someone, like a tech, or amp shop, or even some guy (or gal!) who knows what they're doing. You can even ask GC or any music shop who they send their amps to for service.

Offer them an extra $50 to let you peek over their shoulder, or give you the run-down as you observe. Some will let you, some will tell you to get lost, but you can always ask.

It's not hard, but a simple mistep can be fatal. No joke.

If things like plate voltage, filter caps, and cathode current mean nothing to you, you cannot bias an amp.

^this

I did a fair amount of research before I attempted to bias my amp and I had a friend help me.

There are actually not that many good biasing videos on youtube. *coughColindo1cough*

If they are matched you could always put them in and try without biasing but you run the risk of damaging your amp. I would at least email Peavey and get their recommended 'cold to hot' bias range in milliAmps so you know what the range is.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by MxPxPanic
Plate voltage, filter caps and cathode current mean nothing to me.

So now I'm stuck with a matching quad 6L6 .. and my amp is rendered useless until I come up with like 100$ to get it biased, even when ET website is telling me not to go to a tech because they might just eff you over and tell you you're tubes failed so you have to buy new ones?

No offense but why did you run out and buy 4 power tubes without researching what you were going to do once you got them?

A multimeter is great but you need a bias probe too.

Because you don't know what a capacitor is there is no way we are going to walk you through it over the internet. We have actually had people like you never come back to tell us they got their amp biased correctly.

Also, I don't trust Eurotubes anymore after some of the things I've learned. Let me guess, they shipped you JJ tubes right?

See if you can find someone on craigslist to help you. That's what I would do.
What's wrong with Eurotubes? I'm very slowly getting ready to do my first retube (eventually) and am still trying to decide on where to get them. So far I'm planning on Doug's Tubes, but I am not completely sure yet.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
yes JJ tubes, why?

so if I took it to a local music shop ( Music 6000 ) how much would they charge for a rebias/put the tubes in or what ever it needs.

Well my friend told me to buy new tubes ( because the tubes were bad ) and a rebias is easy so just get a multimeter, which was obviously crap...

Is it even worth having a tube amp?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Dr. Pain -

They strike me as part hype and part hogwash. Plus, they only carry JJs, which is a problem for me. Nothing wrong with JJs btw but don't simply put JJs in your amp because Eurotubes tells you too. They are based in Eugene Oregon and there is nothing 'Euro' about them.

I would much rather do business with Doug at dougstubes. Not only did he get me my tubes super fast he actually responded to a question I had same day, at night, and from his blackberry.

Yeah, Doug seems like a great chap. I've sent him 2 emails asking for tube recs to improve the sound and he always mailed me back in a helpful manner. Methinks Doug is THE tube man.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by MxPxPanic
yes JJ tubes, why?

so if I took it to a local music shop ( Music 6000 ) how much would they charge for a rebias/put the tubes in or what ever it needs.

Well my friend told me to buy new tubes ( because the tubes were bad ) and a rebias is easy so just get a multimeter, which was obviously crap...

Is it even worth having a tube amp?

Because that is all they sell.

I'm guessing $40 per hour x 2 hour minimum.

You may very well need new tubes. Some amps are easy to bias if they have external biasing trim pots and test points. I have no idea if yours does or not. Your manual should tell you. Otherwise, you have to open up the chassis and do it the old fashioned way which is what I did.

Yes, tube amps are worth it
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
They are based in Eugene Oregon and there is nothing 'Euro' about them.
*ahem* They sell tubes. The tubes they sell ... come from ... Europe.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I get that part, but they sure don't offer much of a selection of tubes from Europe

I was just poking fun of their name. Tons of people think they are based in Europe and often recommend them to UG'rs who live in Europe

So I have a question: Would taking it to a tech cost me a LOT? ( Any idea how much? )

Would they "Rip my tubes off" and try to get me to buy new ones, likely?

Is this what I should do and I've been really careful with the tubes but are there any precautions to take just in case?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
1.) I answered your first question already.

2.) You've been brainwashed by Eurotubes already. If it is a reputable tech and you tell him you just bought a matched set then I doubt you'd get ripped off. If they know what they are doing they can get the job done within an hour.

3.) Have you been reading what I'm taking the time to type?

4.) Again, ask for an Amp Tech in your local craigslist under Musical Instruments or Services Wanted and see if you get any responses.