Can you buy things for Acoustic to optimize sound, like certain strings? Besides amps and electronic hookups.
Last edited by USA at Oct 15, 2009,
You can get different gauge strings and different brand/types of strings but "optimizing" tone is kind of subjective. It's just opinion on what strings sound the best. Generally it's a good idea to try out a bunch of different strings and different gauges to see what sounds right to you.
Changing the strings and saddle are the simplest changes and will have the biggest effect. Beyond that, changing the nut and bridge pins may have a slight effect.
Generally, there are a few things you can do to "improve" your sound.

1. If you have a plastic saddle, swap it out and get a bone one.
2. Do the same thing as above for the nut.
3. Find a type of strings that you like a lot. You'll like the sound more.
4. You can do the bridge pins too, but that change is rather insignificant compared to the others.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
my guitarist at church switched to brass bridge pins and finds it much nicer sounding. it does hold more harmonics in the total mix in my opinion.

if that's your thing, do it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'm pretty sure you have to shape the saddle specially, and I'm positive the nut has to be shaped right, but bridge pins are probably the easiest. I've heard from some people If you've got the right tools, it's not too bad.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by clayonfire
I'm pretty sure you have to shape the saddle specially, and I'm positive the nut has to be shaped right, but bridge pins are probably the easiest. I've heard from some people If you've got the right tools, it's not too bad.

Nah, unless you're buying blanks, you shouldn't have to shape the saddle beyond sanding down the bottom to lower the action to your preference.