i know someone who is selling a hartke 4x10 bass cab but one of the speakers needs replacing. would you still be able to play with the 3 speakers or would it sound bad. what i really want to know is will having a missing speaker effect the sound quality much or just the volume? cheers.
should be ok.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well it depends on if it is just producing no sound or if it is fried, the speakers add wattage so if one speaker is broken, that it is not pushing any watts, it decreases the amount of wattage the cab can push out. Now I assume if you are accounting for this wattage difference and the cab should be wired parallel then it will work ok. The simplest solution is just replace the speaker it isn't much of a challenge.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
that'll change the impedance of the cab up or down depending on how it's wired
using a head with an improperly matched cab impedance is bad news
replacing the speaker isn't hard or expensive
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 15, 2009,
You will need to replace the speaker. The cab will be wired in series/parallel so if one speaker is open circuit then two speakers will not work though you could do some internal rewiring to get round this. You then have the problem that you have one of the speaker holes covered only by a speaker that is not working. Effectively you have replaced part of the cabinet wall with a piece of loosely fixed card. Check you can buy a matching speaker before you buy the cab and discount the price you pay.
do the speakers have to be the same brand/kind as the ones that are already in there or will any that are the same wattage do? also where would i buy such speakers?
Quote by olimar2
do the speakers have to be the same brand/kind as the ones that are already in there or will any that are the same wattage do? also where would i buy such speakers?

They don't have to be the same brand but it is probably better that they are. They must be the same impedance (ohms) and the power handling will be 4x the power of the weakest speaker. Not all 10" speakers actually measure 10" and the fixing holes wont be in the same places, It is fairly common for designers to mix speakers but they usually do so in pairs, two of each.
The speakers to rplace in that hartke cab are around 40 on thomann.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by justinb904

What he said.
And yes justin, I DO recognize your avatar, it's from the website UGO player, previously called flashplayer
Quote by justinb904

WEll it wouldnt hurt the head in any way. Of course as the wattage of the cab is lower, but really it wouldnt make a huge difference. To be safe just buy a replacement speaker and replace it. Job solved. Ring larry hartke up and ask him to send you one. From what ive heard it will probs be for free maybe.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul