I'm kind of curious as to how many people like when a band plays in between songs. What I mean is when bands will be playing something while the singer talks, usually just a drumbeat and a bassline, which helps to kind of keep the energy going from the last song. My question is, do you like when bands do that live, or do you prefer they don't?

Edit: As much as I want to know about this topic, let's just make this thread about everything bands do in the transitions.
Last edited by herby190 at Oct 15, 2009,
I like it when the band tells stories about their time in 'Nam between songs. Especially when they have a flashback in the middle of the songs because of the stories, and start screaming jibberish about getting to cover and crap.

Quote by joshua122593
I like bands who tell jokes onstage.

Me too!
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
depends on the songs it's inbetween
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I like the way The Used do it if you've seen them... just like ambient sounds from the bass. Lots of the time it sounds stupid though :/
A band has to do something between songs or just go into the next song. If there's silence or just talking, it loses energy and seems a bit awkward.
I like when bands eat on stage. Dunno why. It's funny to watch.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
Quote by qvchater
blink 182 has some damn good banter in between songs
Yeah; they were hilarious when I saw them in August.
Quote by qvchater

this

me and my friend memorized the banter from TMTaTS and recited it every day in like 7th grade
i dont like when they sit there and talk for ten minutes straight
doesnt bother me if they introduce the song
I find that Metallica does a pretty good job at transitions.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Never seen them live, but on Gallop Meets the Earth (Protest the Hero's live album) Rody will just talk forever and then all of a sudden they'll go straight into a song. I saw In Flames a couple weeks ago, they interacted with the crowd a lot, and i really like that.
See above post ^
Underoath can keep a set going between songs, i don't its ever silent if they're on stage.
ಠ_ಠ
Originally Posted by qvchater

Everyone says this but I saw them at the garden and all there was was Tom asking Mark to hold him, asking everyone to flip off Travis, and saying that Mark is the best bassist ever. I didn't laugh.

Edit: Now NOFX, they're funny on stage.
Hendrix at Woodstock before Isabella is perhaps the greatest onstage banter/monologue I've ever heard. Here's the middle chunk of it:

"I’d like to do this song dedicated to maybe a soldier in the army, singing about his old lady that he dreams about and humping a machine gun instead. Or it could be…could be a cat trying to fall in love with that girl, maybe, but a little too scared. That’s where the problems come from sometimes, isn’t it? I mean, the cat is really insecure a little bit so they call girls groupies and they call girls this. And they call passive people hippies and blah blah woof woof all down the line. That’s because they ****ing, not in LOVE, man. That’s what’s happening."
Erotic puppet shows.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by sk8nalmost1394
Edit: Now NOFX, they're funny on stage.

yeah man, fat mike is hilarious on stage!! They did this song of one liners, with a sax riff at the end, it was great. The worst ive seen is Anti-Flag. They just stand there and yell at the crowd how we are all being oppresed. I timed 10 minutes between songs once. it was rediculous.
crazyness
There's this guy we saw a few months ago, Dave Alvin, he is amazing but there's a 90% chance you haven't heard of him, who was hilarious. He didn't need anything going between songs because the laughter filled up the space, well that and the fact that he told one short story then it's back to the music.
Foo Fighters are pretty awesome when it comes to talking between songs. Especially if you throw Mentos at them before they play Big Me and get him to tell the candy story.
Quote by timo1
I used to go on the computer in the morning and look up 'naked female breasts' on Google.
It came up with a picture of a duck
Jokes are cool.

Little instrumental bridges combining 2 songs is cool too.

Pour examplar:

The transition in this ("Song for Dan Treacy" into "4th Dimensional Transition", by MGMT) is just pure epic.
George Fisher can be pretty funny (whether on purpose or not) between songs.. When I saw Slayer there seemed to be very little in between songs but I may just not have been paying attention.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by joshua122593
I like bands who tell jokes onstage.

+1

Blink-182 and Bowling for Soup both kick ass at this.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.