Page 1 of 2
what are some basic metal songs that i can learn. Also, what are some good techniques i should learn/want to learn to start to play faster and stronger

heres where im at

- Disturbed- the night besides the solo
- Disturbed- Inside the fire, almost all of it (but the solo sounds bad, and some of the alternate picking sucks)

and anything along that level. i need to start to move up to faster picking like

-slipknot- pyschosocial
- metallica- master of puppets
- disturbed- indestructible

-id like to learn how to alternate pick faster (i can do the tremelo picking, but not when its middle speed, like parts of the solo in unforgiven)

-i need to get my left hand to start to move around fast enough to keep up with my other hand

-i need to learn how to mute correctly (it seems like when i mute my note im actually making the note i play sharp..is this normal)

i want to start to get GOOD... ive been playing for 3 yrs and i don't think im close to where i should be.

---- im looking for good techniques, or metal songs that will help me build up to the songs i want to play
Take a look at some of the stickies.

And, if you can't do ''middle speed'' picking, then you can't do ''tremolo picking''. It might seem like you can but the lack of control/timing is covered up by speed. Learn slower things.
um, no offense, but everyone I know who plays metal has master of puppets mastered (no pun intended). if you've been playin' three years and haven't learned it yet, I would highly recommend it. it's not terribly hard, especially for someone of 3 years. get on it man!
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Jim Dunlop, Dava, First Act Picks
psssh
Speed's for losers.

Now on to the serious part:
Speed should not be your goal - accuracy should. Accurate playing decreases tension and improves muscle memory. The nifty byproduct of this is speed. In order to play well at the faster tempos you so desire, there are a few easy steps:
1. Download TuxGuitar or Powertab and a metronome if you don''t already have them (all of these can be found for free online)
2. Find a Guitar Pro file of the song you want (UG has a lot of songs, especially ones you'd like)
3. Practice at very slowly (think 40 bpm at fastest) to start out. Try to play along to the track (you can slow it down without changing the pitch in TuxGuitar) if you can.
4. Make sure you can play this perfectly accurately at low tempo (muting correctly, right timing, etc).
5. Speed up very slightly (maybe 2-4 bpm at a time).
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until you reach your desired tempo.

These easy steps will improve you alternate picking (provided you practice it while doing the song slowly), your left and right hand coordination, your muting, and will set on the track to being GOOD.
ok..

and lol @ the master of puppets thing.. i can play the beggining part, up to the chorus part pretty good, but i dont think its fast enough nor accurate enough...

im gonna try out going over that song (master of puppets) at 40BPM like suggested,
also try some mastodon. "mother puncher" is harder, "wolf is loose" is easier.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
ok..what about the muting thing..is that what normally happens..

on my tuner, it says basically when i mute it it goes up from E to halfway between E and F
You could be pressing down too hard - palm muting has a really punchy sound with higher gain stuff, but it is really soft and sometimes confusing to tuners - if you're pushing down hard, don't. You don't need to and that can create unnecessary tension, which slows down playing and makes you less accurate. Palm muting requires only a light touch to get the desired sound.

Total muting is different, but it relies on a similar principle. Go on Youtube and watch Freepower's video on muting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc&feature=channel
It's easy to understand and he gets the point across well.
Technique wise, go learn Technical Difficulties. It's not much harder than the songs you mentioned.

Helps your technique (or alternate picking I should say) much more than any of the songs you mentioned. Just learn the intro up to the shreddy part, ignore everything else. If you can get that to full speed, you can easily play a good portion of metal songs already.
Anything new you learn will help you improve, you don't have to keep beating "harder" things to get better, it's not WoW.

What you practice is nowhere near as important as how you practice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Actually, I'd recommend against playing Technical Difficulties before you can play the songs you listed, TC. Remember, you should be playing for the fun of it and because you like the music. And plus, getting your songs down will give you a real boost of self-confidence in your playing.
ok..well i started out on master of puppets on 40, and first i realized i should probably learn the whole song b4 i try it out, and secondly i realized its much toooo slowww.. so ill probably move it up to 60-70 just so i can actually not have to pause between 16th notes or something! thats AFTER i learn it
Everyone's pretty much nailed the techniques... so I'll give you a few songs and you can practice them after you get Master of Puppets. Good, fairly easy metal songs that you can pick and choose from and they will help with alternate picking especially the Trooper..

Older:
N.I.B. by Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath
The Trooper by Iron Maiden (Maybe not learn the whole song if you wish, but at least try to nail the gallop alternate picking and you'll get better at alternate picking. But this song is a little harder and maybe you should wait to attempt it.)
Pull The Plug by Death (If you like death metal, this is a great death metal song to learn. Fairly simple alternate picking in the verse that can help.)

Newer:
Sad But True by Metallica (Helps with palm muting and alternate picking and coordination using your left hand.)
Psychosocial by Slipknot (I think you should really attempt to learn this song because aside from the intro and solo it shouldn't be that difficult.)

They may not be the greatest suggestions, but they're all songs that I learned that really helped me get better using the techniques the previous posters have given. So give any of them a shot if you wish, and good luck.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13
um, no offense, but everyone I know who plays metal has master of puppets mastered (no pun intended). if you've been playin' three years and haven't learned it yet, I would highly recommend it. it's not terribly hard, especially for someone of 3 years. get on it man!

bull**** bull**** bull**** don't listen to this guy you are good.
Keep playing the metal songs you like and you will turn better.
1. Don't listen saints post, you are allowed to go at whatever pace you want. There are people who can play MoP after a couple months and some that take them a decade. Go at whatever pace you like, as long as your progressing and not taking steps backwards.

2. For alternate picking, get a metronome, and I HIGHLY recommend this technique lesson. My alternate picking is imperfect. I've been playing 18 months. I'm not very experienced. But my alternate picking was nothing until the last month or so when i printed this exercise and it has helped a lot. Link

3. Try stuff that you think is too hard for you. After you are comfortable with alternate picking, I recommend Children of Bodom's intros on Bed of Razors and
Lake Bodom. They play in Drop C and D Standard btw just in case you want to know. These are much faster than inside the fire and they go across 3 and 4 strings respectively so try it whenever you feel like it, probably not right away.

and steven, true, but you can, and it works if you start out super slow and work your way up once you master it on the current speed.
Anything you can't already play will make you a bit better.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try some songs from Iron Maiden. They are really good and use a lot of different techniques you can learn of. I'd say start with Aces High or The Trooper. Although they are a bit harder than the rest mentioned, you should attempt them. Remember that you can learn from your mistakes and that will make you a better player.
Last edited by Braiton at Oct 16, 2009,
Try learning "Tyrants" by Immortal. I think it's easier than Master of Puppets and it'll help you out with a lot of techniques.

The most important thing is making your picking work with your fretting. If there is an imbalance, then trying to play fast is something you will fail in quite quickly, because like someone said above, accuracy > speed.

I'm not the handiest with technique links, but in terms of songs, here's what I've got:

Fade to Black - Metallica

Everytime I Die - Children of Bodom (obviously not the lead, unless you feel like a challenge, although there are sweeps and I don't think you are quite ready for them. Never hurts to try, though. But at a slow tempo, preferably.)

Crystal Mountain - Death

Blackwater Park - Opeth

Anything else from these bands should be pretty simple, and should help you out a lot. Let me know if you find any of them too difficult and I will try and help you out.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
I found "Home" and "Pull Me Under" from Dream Theater to be very good to practise different stuff..
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
ok.. i found out the major problem

i can play 16th notes up to like 130-140BPM good on 1 string only.. once i start switching strings i get cut to shreds

i can play 120BPM perfect on 1 string 16th notes

BUT i cant move my left hand fast enough for 16th notes, (if i tried to play 1234 2345 3456 4567 id get behind my right hand)

EDIT..my left hand is apparently so bad i cant play 8th notes (1234,2345,3456) perfectly on 136BPM
Last edited by FODICO at Oct 16, 2009,
Really?
With me it's the complete opposite..
My left hand is more than 30 BPM faster than my right hand..
I guess just keep practising huh
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Learn Sabbath stuff, then Metallica. Bare in mind, many guitar parts of metal require two guitarists. Reach outside the genre.
im gonna try fade to black.. it had a good beginning solo part that threw be off b4 when i tried it.. im gonna try it now
well if you wanna try metallica, go for:

blackened
ride the lightning
and justice for all
battery
master of puppets
enter sandman (very easy but its up to you)
fade to black
the day that never comes
maybe cyanide

The songs above sound great and are a challenge to play depending on where you are now.

you might already know some of these but I'm just throwing them out there. i still recommend bodom, but I recommend COB to everyone. XD
im trying fade to black, and i can barely play the beggining solo at 60BPM perfectly, and i think there may be something wrong with how im doing it/what im doing..

if anyone can look..the first really fast part goes 15 on the B string, then 14, 19,14 on the E string, etc etc. how do i alternate pick that part.. and also why do i keep missing the strings sometimes when im alternate picking (i end up picking OVER the string, missing completely)..is it a way im holding it or a way im playing
You are playing for three years?
I think fade to black that section 15, 14, 19, etc is sweep, not sure...
GLuck
im not gonna lie, im not close to where i should be at guitar.. my teachers have been awful and idk if im even doing all the basic stuff right!

update: i stopped practicing for the day, got that beggining solo part perfect at 75BPM.. which is great...

i think i can do 80 as well, but i cant try cause i need to play with the track atm..and the track is noisy!
Quote by steven seagull
Anything new you learn will help you improve, you don't have to keep beating "harder" things to get better, it's not WoW.

What you practice is nowhere near as important as how you practice.

First - I couldn't agree more with this. From a technique standpoint, playing a song means having the core skills up to the standard required to play that song. By core skills, I mean things like your technique at alt picking, your sync between your hands, the size of your movements, your tension level, your co-ordination and dexterity, your timing.

Anything you practice will improve those things. The only difference between a hard song and an easy song, is that a hard song requires a greater mastery of those basic skills.

So sometimes, you need a really hard song about as much as a nice blow to the head. What am I going on about? Ok, if you are practicing something too far above your ability, there are so many things to improve that you are unable to isolate and focus on any one of them. For example, a lick that is flying all over the neck and has a difficult picking pattern. You can't get the picking right because the left hand difficulties are throwing you off. You can't get the left hand right because the difficult picking is throwing you off. ie. you have a moving target.

Second - don't worry about where you "should" be at after 3 years, especially compared to other people. Just focus on being better than you were a month ago.
You have been playing for 3 yrs? Ppl usally master MOP and Fade within a year. What did your teachers teach you? Anyway keep practicing with a metronome and get better.
^
Not everyone has a teacher and not everyone has the same priorities.

TC, the opening bit in Fade to Black you're describing is what's called sweeping - it's a technique that enables you to play arpeggios quickly and cleanly. Check it out if you're interested, but don't fret, because it isn't an integral skill to get down.
Quote by FODICO
what are some basic metal songs that i can learn. Also, what are some good techniques i should learn/want to learn to start to play faster and stronger

heres where im at

- Disturbed- the night besides the solo
- Disturbed- Inside the fire, almost all of it (but the solo sounds bad, and some of the alternate picking sucks)

and anything along that level. i need to start to move up to faster picking like

-slipknot- pyschosocial
- metallica- master of puppets
- disturbed- indestructible

-id like to learn how to alternate pick faster (i can do the tremelo picking, but not when its middle speed, like parts of the solo in unforgiven)

-i need to get my left hand to start to move around fast enough to keep up with my other hand

-i need to learn how to mute correctly (it seems like when i mute my note im actually making the note i play sharp..is this normal)

i want to start to get GOOD... ive been playing for 3 yrs and i don't think im close to where i should be.

---- im looking for good techniques, or metal songs that will help me build up to the songs i want to play

Indestructible really isn't that fast/hard. I've only been playing for about 14 months and I can play the whole thing fine (except the solo). My advice (this is what I did) is just practice... a lot. I practice... well, on the weekends all I do is play my guitar, on the weekdays I play at least 2 hours a day. Just learn a bunch of different songs buy your favorite bands, and just keep practicing until you get it
God what is it with all the bpm quoting? I doubt you can play cleanly at whateverbpm above 120 anyway. And where you said 40 bpm was too slow - this could be a reason for your failure to nail a song. If your techniques aren't good enough to play it, you have to slow right down and fix said techniques. If you never do this all you'll do is play it fast but full of flaws.
Take the intro riff to "Unholy Confessions". Learn it at a very slow pace. Make sure you pedal in between each note on the low E string. Now, once you have it down and can play it perfectly, play it as fast as you can while still playing it perfectly. Then the next day, try 2-3 BPM faster. Keep doing that until you're playing the riff at the same speed Avenged Sevenfold plays it at (something around 200 BPM). This will definitely improve your down picking speed/accuracy.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by zuhairreza
You are playing for three years?
I think fade to black that section 15, 14, 19, etc is sweep, not sure...
GLuck

I alternate pick it, and do a pull off on the stretch.
just an update.. i played the fade to black for a bit longer..but got really bored of practicing that rift

so i moved on to practicing the "the night" solo by disturbed, so i can get the full song down...the actual beat is 94BPM

after 2 days of straight practicing i got the first 2 measures at 94BPM (the first part of the rift), and the next 2 measures at 75-80BPM perfectly

and to whoever who said i couldnt play it at 120BPM...thats what i goal was on that song, because thats the actual tempo of the song..
to slayer569

my teachers (both of them) werent mainly guitar teachers, my mom just found the cheapest possible person, and these were $20/half hour or something..so it was cheapest they could find

1 taught me basically just the pentatonic scale, and the other one taught me alot of music theory

none of them really corrected any of the mistakes i had, and i kinda had to sort around through them. The most advanced song i learned by them was my friends by the red hot chili peppers..
Quote by FODICO
to slayer569

my teachers (both of them) werent mainly guitar teachers, my mom just found the cheapest possible person, and these were $20/half hour or something..so it was cheapest they could find

$20 for a half hour? Damn, Im paying $15 for a half hour, and my teachers been playing for 40 years
ya..RI was screwed up for teachers

should i be practicing WITH or WITHOUT distortion...im thinking without cause with distortion my amp makes it sound awful (its the amp.. im positive..not me )
Page 1 of 2