I am writing a rather large research paper on Charles Cornwallis. I'd like to know what kind of things you learn about Cornwallis in school. I'm trying to get some different perspectives on how he is presented in history classes on the other side of the pond.

The only thing that really gets mentioned about him in the US is that he was the general that surrendered at Yorktown.

So basically tell me what you've been told about him in school. Maybe you never even discussed him. That would be useful for me to know as well.

Any help is appreciated.

If you have no idea who I am talking about and are just curious, here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cornwallis,_1st_Marquess_Cornwallis
Absolutely nothing. The revolutionary war wasn't taught when I was in high school, and still isn't as far as I know.
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
I'm Scottish, never heard of him sorry
Oh and it's 3 am here, good luck on responses
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King

Oh and it's 3 am here, good luck on responses

Yeah I know. But I just thought of asking now so I posted it.

Quote by VANGELIS!
Absolutely nothing. The revolutionary war wasn't taught when I was in high school, and still isn't as far as I know.

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if they taught about any of his work in India or Ireland maybe.
Never heard of him never studied American war at school. Its such a historically rich country that there is a lot to cover in school.

Britain has been in over 100 wars y'know?
Last edited by lucertia. at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by lucertia.
Never heard of him never studied American war at school. Its such a historically rich country that there is a lot to cover in school.

Britain has been in over 100 wars y'know?

Oh I know. I've taken like 4-5 British history classes at university so far.

Like I said, I wasn't sure if they discussed his role in India or Ireland at all. My paper isn't just about the American war.
I never learned a thing about him in school. At A-level I did have the option of an American history course but as far as I know it mostly covered the civil war and the civil rights movement. I wish I'd taken it to be honest. It was probably much more interesting than the course on German nationalism I took instead...
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by daytripper75
Oh I know. I've taken like 4-5 British history classes at university so far.

Like I said, I wasn't sure if they discussed his role in India or Ireland at all. My paper isn't just about the American war.

Check out the Scottish/Edinburgh Enlightenment, very interesting (hence my location Athens of the North) . David Hume wrote A History of Britain...it was a reference standard for 200 years.
Last edited by lucertia. at Oct 15, 2009,
Also, if this is for an essay or something of the like, aren't you going to have to cite a source for this information? I don't think your professors will appreciate UG in your footnotes.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
In Ireland we learned about his artin the American revolution, like you said in the OP.
We also learned about his role in Ireland as Lord Lieutenant obviously.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

We also learned about his role in Ireland as Lord Lieutenant obviously.

Ah, ok. I assume they didn't portray him in the most positive way?

Quote by IDread
Also, if this is for an essay or something of the like, aren't you going to have to cite a source for this information? I don't think your professors will appreciate UG in your footnotes.

I'm not going to try to use any statements made here. I just want an idea of how he is portrayed outside of the US.
Quote by daytripper75
Ah, ok. I assume they didn't portray him in the most positive way?

It's 4 years since I did that period, but IIRC it was pretty neutral. Sure he crushed the rebellion, but he was in favour of Catholic emancipation.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's 4 years since I did that period, but IIRC it was pretty neutral. Sure he crushed the rebellion, but he was in favour of Catholic emancipation.

Ok thanks.