quick question: do you need a tube amp to be able to use an ibanez tubescreamer? halfway sure that its just an overdrive pedal, but just wanna find out for sure before i buy it.
Quote by ry4n23bell
quick question: do you need a tube amp to be able to use an ibanez tubescreamer? halfway sure that its just an overdrive pedal, but just wanna find out for sure before i buy it.

I don't want to point out the obvious...but they're called TUBEscreamers.

That being said, you don't NEED one, no, but they do sound better in front of them compared to SS amps.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
despite what you may have heard on this website, you can use it with any amp you would like. it is just a distortion unit.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by BaffAttack
I don't want to point out the obvious...but they're called TUBEscreamers.

That being said, you don't NEED one, no, but they do sound better in front of them compared to SS amps.

when it comes down to it, almost anything sounds better with a tube amp
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by chea_man
despite what you may have heard on this website, you can use it with any amp you would like. it is just a distortion unit.

It's an overdrive pedal, I wouldn't call it distortion.

It works with SS amps as well as tube amps, but they can use it for different applications. You could use it on either as an overdrive pedal for a somewhat overdriven sound. However, with a tube amp, you can also use it as a boost, which pushes the tubes harder for arguably better tone. It would also tighten up the sound.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Oh, does it really push the tubes? So using overdrive pedal on a tube amp is like pushing the amp with its gain knob? Does it mean that if i use the overdrive on my tube amp, tubes wears out faster?
Quote by Guitar_vibrator
Oh, does it really push the tubes? So using overdrive pedal on a tube amp is like pushing the amp with its gain knob? Does it mean that if i use the overdrive on my tube amp, tubes wears out faster?

yes, but not quickly enough for it to matter. besides, alot of people turn the gain on the amp down a little, so the overdrive doesnt increase the gain they wouldve used but instead tightens the sound. not all, of course, but play around with that idea. it also can increase sustain if your amp is low on that.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

It's a distortion pedal in the overdrive category. It will give you mild to moderate distortion and can boost the signal level, which is the same as turning up the gain knob on both a tube or SS amp. The difference with SS is that there is a limit to boosting the input before the circuit starts clipping harshly. You can use it with either.