So I need a new beast!

Anyways, while I could try to mcgyver this back together (the latch is destroyed and it's out of warranty at both the store and the manufacturer) , I've been having a few issues with this tuner for a while now (having to engage/disengage/reengage to get it to start tuning, etc) and it's not completely silent when in us (still a little present).

I'm trying to decide what route to go:

I really like the idea of the Peterson Strobostomp 2. It's incredibly accurate, can be seen on outdoor stages (I play a few here and there), has a built in DI (for those open mic's, etc), and it seems to be quite durable. However, I'm curious if I need a 250 dollar pedal tuner. Who here owns one? Do you regret buying it/do you think it's overkill?

The DI isn't terribly important. I mainly want:
-accuracy
-speed (I tend to tune while talking between songs)
-durability (I gig often)
-true bypass

Should I just go with a Korg pitchblack? I've been thinking about slloooooowly setting up a rack by next year--should I just get a rack tuner now as I've got an empty rack sitting around?

What would you do? I'll be buying a tuner tomorrow no matter what (3 gigs next week), just trying to figure out what to get...
Pitchblack is just fine if you don't need the DI. I use one and it's great.
Quote by pwrmax
Pitchblack is just fine if you don't need the DI. I use one and it's great.

+1

its big, bright, clear, true bypass, no odd engaging/disengaging noises... everything you need for a tuner.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The Korg is great for stage, but I wouldn't trust it for intonation. The Peterson is just more accurate, and you need that for setting up a guitar.

But, I've heard more than a few horror stories about it's reliability. I have one and have gigged with it for years with no trouble, but...

Turbo Tuner is supposedly faster than even the Peterson, and built like a tank, but I haven't tried it.
Nope, absolute accuracy comes with a strobe, or in the case of the Peterson and TT, a simulated strobe.

The Korg gets you to .1 cents, the TT st200 to .02, and something like .002 when it leaves the factory.

Some of Petersons rack units can get to +/- .0006!

"Pitch it with a Peterson" is actually an old(ish) saying, to describe perfect intonation, as in, "Damn, that sounds so right you could pitch it with a peterson!"
The Korg promises 0.1 of a cent, and the strobostomp 2 is showing at 0.1 of a cent as well.

I forgot to mention that I do my own setups. It's sounding more and more like I should go with my gut on the strobostomp. Can anyone attest to how "fast" it is with tuning? I felt like my PW tuner was fast enough for me. Surely it can't be any slower.
Quote by guitarinchris
The Korg promises 0.1 of a cent, and the strobostomp 2 is showing at 0.1 of a cent as well.

I forgot to mention that I do my own setups. It's sounding more and more like I should go with my gut on the strobostomp. Can anyone attest to how "fast" it is with tuning? I felt like my PW tuner was fast enough for me. Surely it can't be any slower.

No, it's pretty quick, but it can get "confused" sometimes. Strobes are more (or less) accurate than their rated +/- cents stat, because your perception of the movement of the strobe wheel is going to play a part.

The TT is faster, though, and tracks a little better, it just doesn't have a full screen that displays a digital strobe wheel.

I think there's a head to head between these two on youtube somewhere...
I found a head to head with the Peterson and with the Turbo Tuner. The turbo tuner seems a bit faster, but I've realized that both are plenty fast for what I need.

The TT is definitely cheaper and has a smaller footprint. I'll see if they carry this guy at my local store.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!
I downloaded a real Peterson strobe tuner app for my iPhone and A/B box it. It blows my noisy Planet Waves tuner away. It really is real Peterson strobe tuning and the app and adapter cord were under $20. Best music related purchase EVER!
Quote by pwrmax

i have this. its pretty damn accurate, just takes a bit of getting used to.

Although, if its in your signal chain, you can hear a slight hum from it while tuning. I havent tested it the tuner out on my amp, but i cant see how it would make any noise through that.

It is only a very slight hum. As in it would get drowned out by people talking. And when you arent tuning, its completely quiet
Quote by guitarted
check out the sonic research turbo tuner. pretty reasonable price, tu-2 sized stobe tuner.

+1

They are the best stomp box tuner I've ever had my hands on. It's faster and easier to read than the peterson strobe tuners, however, the peterson tuners do have more features if that is what you are looking for.
Not taking any online orders.
sonic research turbo tuner is great aswell
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
mcguyvering anything is generally a good idea, but you have to have the right kit and experience. Do you have a matchstick, a half-chewed piece of wrigleys and a short piece of string? Are you ex-special forces with a mullet? you also need to be careful you don't accidentally convert your pedal to an anti-personnel device.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by guitarinchris
So I need a new beast!

Anyways, while I could try to mcgyver this back together (the latch is destroyed and it's out of warranty at both the store and the manufacturer) , I've been having a few issues with this tuner for a while now (having to engage/disengage/reengage to get it to start tuning, etc) and it's not completely silent when in us (still a little present).

I'm trying to decide what route to go:

I really like the idea of the Peterson Strobostomp 2. It's incredibly accurate, can be seen on outdoor stages (I play a few here and there), has a built in DI (for those open mic's, etc), and it seems to be quite durable. However, I'm curious if I need a 250 dollar pedal tuner. Who here owns one? Do you regret buying it/do you think it's overkill?

The DI isn't terribly important. I mainly want:
-accuracy
-speed (I tend to tune while talking between songs)
-durability (I gig often)
-true bypass

Should I just go with a Korg pitchblack? I've been thinking about slloooooowly setting up a rack by next year--should I just get a rack tuner now as I've got an empty rack sitting around?

What would you do? I'll be buying a tuner tomorrow no matter what (3 gigs next week), just trying to figure out what to get...

You would regret not getting a Turbo Tuner by Sonic Research. It is much faster and just as accurate and precise as the Peterson, much less money and built tougher. Some people have issues with the display, I prefer it and it is easier to get precise adjustments than the Korg. Hopefully you got something you like. Here is a vid showing the difference in speed and the similar accuracy of the Peterson and TT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bY9H7ec6_0
If I were you I wouldn't judge the final decision based on the "cent accuracy" ratings.
Humans can only perceive about a 5-6 cent change in pitch anyway.
Buying a tuner for the extra 0.01 cent accuracy rating is like buying a new guitar strap for better tone, it really doesn't make too much sense.
(Although it is without a doubt easier to tune more accurately with a strobe tuner as compared to an LED tuner.)

In your situation I'd go for the Turbo Tuner for its speed,
UNLESS you'd rather keep a bit of extra money in your pocket, in which case
I'd go for the Pitchblack.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Nov 6, 2009,
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
do you mean fiancée?

Wow. Just wow. Somebody give this guy the rainbow award.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
I own the Turbo Tuner is really accurate. Its impossible to get the ring to stop moving while tuning.

I also use it to inotate my guitars.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Wow. Just wow. Somebody give this guy the rainbow award.

i think he's right.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?