Page 1 of 2
Hey Ultimate Guitar, I specifically joined here to ask this question
Now, I dont have a very huge budget, but any suggestion is welcomed

I'm thinking of getting the Ibanez GRG170DX (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/grg170dx/index.html) but i've heard a LOT of good things about the Epiphone Les Paul Special II which my friend is getting. I'm very stuck to Ibanez (because they look cool haha). I know to avoid Fender Strats, right? So I'm kind of open for anything...

I'm thinking of playing rock to hard rock. No metal, maybe some punk. Some artists I want to play like are Sixx: AM ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlS_kmxES0 ), Ellegarden ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRtArRGMTg ) and other random stuff ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U1lf8RYa9E )

Thanks for the input!

Edit: Should I just save up for an Ibanez rg350dx (+$200) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/rg350dx/index.html) instead? I would have to really cheap out on the amp and other equipment then...
Last edited by bloppyblue at Oct 15, 2009,
u could get an epiphone sg id get a bit higher end ibanez rg tho if ur goin that direction tho personally i like the s series ibanez's alott more than the rg's
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
u could get an epiphone sg id get a bit higher end ibanez rg tho if ur goin that direction tho personally i like the s series ibanez's alott more than the rg's

The trem's on the RG170 model are pretty bad as far as tuning stability goes. The Epiphone would be a better choice of those two. But I recommend you check out http://www.rondomusic.com/
you can get an epiphone g-400 for just a few bucks more. never played that ibanez before, but i own an epi and its pretty quality. needed some setup and fret work but plays pretty well. good luck
Quote by bloppyblue
I know to avoid Fender Strats, right? So I'm kind of open for anything...

WHAT?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Take the Ibanez RG350DX It's amazing as much as I've heard believe me

Besides getting a higher-end guitar (not 2000 dollars,I mean slightly higher end) you'll earn many more benefits. Like no tuning problem,easier string changes,better hardware allowing you to safely make adjustments on your guitar for extended periods of time (Unlike my Washburn 10-x which I have to adjust 3-4 times a month + check if it's in tune every time I play,but that's because I'm a guitar nerd ). Go for the slightly more expensive,you won't regret it because if you buy the cheaper one,that's a waste of time and money,harder to play,harder to maintain... Just follow my advice
Last edited by Dopemgs at Oct 15, 2009,
Quote by jscott1324
Ibanez rg321 mahogany body, fast neck, pretty high output pickups, $200
$299.99
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Thanks guys, for the fast responses

The trem's on the RG170 model are pretty bad as far as tuning stability goes.

I dont think i'm going to be using the trems, it seems really bothersome to me... Thats the whammy bar, right? I'm still brushing up on my general guitar knowledge... Haha, I feel like a dork.

you can get an epiphone g-400 for just a few bucks more. never played that ibanez before, but i own an epi and its pretty quality. needed some setup and fret work but plays pretty well. good luck

G400 seems pretty nice from some reviews... The only thing is that I'd like to avoid any modifications at the beginning :P Being new and all, more hassle would suck.

Yeah, I was lookin at that.. Actually, it sells for $375 where I am :S About 100 bucks more than the GRG170DX. But I heard good things about that too, I dont know if its worth it.
Quote by Dopemgs
Take the Ibanez RG350DX It's amazing as much as I've heard believe me ... ...

Man, you sound convincing... Another 2-300 bucks... The white is beautiful though haha. Is it very beginner-friendly? If anyone knows. I was told I should go for a cheap one incase I dont ever want to pick it up after a couple days. But I guess a better one would motivate me more. Thanks for your opinion :d
also maybe check out the ibanez sa160
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
You should avoid floating tremolos on your first guitar. It just adds to what already probably seems like a pretty daunting instrument.

I'd suggest grabbing some cheap POS and just getting into it. $100 right now isn't much to lose later if you want something better. $500 is a lot to lose if you never want to pick it up after your second lesson.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by bloppyblue

I know to avoid Fender Strats, right? So I'm kind of open for anything...

Quote by Kevy Absolution
WHAT?

+1

You must be gettin fender and squires mixed up... And even then thats still not true

I would go for the ibanez if it comes in a hardtail version.

What amp you thinking of buying?
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Get a squier bullet or is it stratocaster bullet? I forget

But get something like that i'm sure someone else will correct me i think they'd be about $100US and they're a pretty good starting guitar, spend a bit more on a amp tho. because amp is most of your sound
yes ibanez are excellent.

i can`t believe somebody suggested a epiphone over a ibby.

and fender strats are excellent but way out of a budget since you were asking about a grg170dx...

go for the grg170dx and either a roland cube or peavey vypyr
Quote by jscott1324
It's also the single worst guitar I have ever had the misfortune of playing (well, other than one particular Gibson LP Axcess). I have never found any other guitar so fundamentally flawed and poorly, cheaply constructed.

There's nothing notably wrong with any of the other guitars mentioned so far, but by God, leave the RG321 alone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
It's also the single worst guitar I have ever had the misfortune of playing (well, other than one particular Gibson LP Axcess). I have never found any other guitar so fundamentally flawed and poorly, cheaply constructed.

There's nothing notably wrong with any of the other guitars mentioned so far, but by God, leave the RG321 alone.
Care to explain to us how a guitar that has been hugely popular for the past 22 years is "fundamentally flawed"?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
You should avoid floating tremolos on your first guitar... I'd suggest grabbing some cheap POS and just getting into it. $100 right now isn't much to lose later if you want something better.

I was thinking that the tremolo (though I'm not specifically looking for one) is going to be a problem.. If I wont use it then I wont touch it, and when I get better if the time comes up that I do, it'll be there
I'm not thinking of pursuing this as some kind of carreer... Just something long enough to last me for a while.

Quote by Tatsumaru
What amp you thinking of buying?

Err.. I'm not quite sure yet. I think I'm probably just going to go with the cheapest thing Long $ McQuade has (so a Traynor TSM10 10 Watt Practice Amp probably)

Quote by Eater of ashes
Right.

Haha, that made me laugh..

But I think I DO mean the Fender Squier Strats... The very cheap ones, that people aren't so happy of owning...
Last edited by bloppyblue at Oct 16, 2009,
NOOOOOO don't buy one of those cheap crappy amps. Believe me, when I was a total noob, I thought of getting a good guitar and a really crappy amp because I thought it didn't matter, but amps make all the difference in the world! Amps are not just boxes that the sounds come out of, they really determine the tone and how well it will sound. If you are going to be serious about guitar playing, don't get one of those crappy amps. Get something like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

Or something like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp-104087572-i1169242.gc

Don't just set the amp aside like it's not important, when looking for a purchase, an amp is just as important (if not more important) than looking for a guitar. You HAVE to get an amp with a decent sound, or when you pick up the guitar and start playing, it will sound bad and will probably discourage you from playing.

PS: Don't get any amp with "Marshall MG" or "Line 6 Spider III" on it, those amps are horribly overpriced and are some of the most hated amps on this site!
Last edited by dsan224 at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by dsan224
NOOOOOO don't buy one of those cheap crappy amps. Believe me, when I was a total noob, I thought of getting a good guitar and a really crappy amp because I thought it didn't matter, but amps make all the difference in the world! Amps are not just boxes that the sounds come out of, they really determine the tone and how well it will sound. If you are going to be serious about guitar playing, don't get one of those crappy amps. Get something like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

Or something like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp-104087572-i1169242.gc

Don't just set the amp aside like it's not important, when looking for a purchase, an amp is just as important (if not more important) than looking for a guitar. You HAVE to get an amp with a decent sound, or when you pick up the guitar and start playing, it will sound bad and will probably discourage you from playing.

PS: Don't get any amp with "Marshall MG" or "Line 6 Spider III" on it, those amps are horribly overpriced and are some of the most hated amps on this site!

+1

This is why i asked what amp you were thinking of getting ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by ch0
Care to explain to us how a guitar that has been hugely popular for the past 22 years is "fundamentally flawed"?

He was playing it upside down
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

DO NOT GET A CHEAP AMP

Good amp + cheap guitar = good sound
cheap amp + good guitar = bad sound

AMP>GUITAR PRICE WISE
Which I mean: get a crappy squier bullet, but then get like a roland cube 30 or peavay vypyr.
Quote by dsan224
NOOOOOO don't buy one of those cheap crappy amps. Believe me, when I was a total noob, I thought of getting a good guitar and a really crappy amp because I thought it didn't matter, but amps make all the difference in the world!...
...Don't just set the amp aside like it's not important, when looking for a purchase, an amp is just as important (if not more important) than looking for a guitar....

Oh... Wow... Thank you so much for that information :S Hm... I should probably do more research on amps then.

Quote by falconthefirst
Am I the only one that thinks the RG321 looks ugly?

No, you're not :P

Quote by Lollage123
DO NOT GET A CHEAP AMP

Good amp + cheap guitar = good sound
cheap amp + good guitar = bad sound

AMP>GUITAR PRICE WISE
Which I mean: get a crappy squier bullet, but then get like a roland cube 30 or peavay vypyr.

I think I'll go for the Peavey Vypyr 15 amp mentioned earlier. It's a hundred bucks, and looks cool haha.

So, should I just cheap out on the guitar then? Maybe go back to the Ibanez GRG170DX instead of the RG350DX? I dont exactly have a lot of money to throw away, nor am I sure I'll really go into playing the guitar...
Good choice on the Vypyr. Nice amp.

Even though you're looking to play a lot of heavy stuff, Squiers are worth a look (especially the Vintage Modified fat strats-duncan designed pickups, humbucker in the bridge position).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by falconthefirst
Am I the only one that thinks the RG321 looks ugly?

Get an RG2EX1

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783
I actually bought one of those to replace the RG321MH I gave away. I like basswood better when it comes to RGs anyway.

$250 shipped for my RG2EX1 though... Bloody JPY doing so well, driving all those prices up.
Quote by Marty Friedman
May I suggest that instead of those amps, look at a Roland Micro Cube? It might cost 20-30 more but trust me, Cubes are excellent practice amps (look! I got a 30 watt cube myself!).
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Okay you have the right direction in an amp. Epiphone guitars are overpriced. Agile are a better bet for Les Paul and SG type guitars. Stay well away from any trem system. They are nasty to tune and on cheaper guitars will pull your tuning all over the place so you have to re-tune every few minutes. Not using one with it there is not a great option either. There is still the problem of trying to tune against a spring. Stick with a hardtail guitar until you are playing decently.

Don't be afraid to buy used. A better guitar that's a few years old is a much better investment and if you should decide not to continue with it, you'll have very saleable kit to sell. A quick look at the used market on ebay suggests that Epiphones of a year old sell at less than 1/4 of their new price but Ibanez, Schecter and most other brands fetch around half their new price.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by bloppyblue
Hey Ultimate Guitar, I specifically joined here to ask this question
Now, I dont have a very huge budget, but any suggestion is welcomed

I'm thinking of getting the Ibanez GRG170DX (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/grg170dx/index.html) but i've heard a LOT of good things about the Epiphone Les Paul Special II which my friend is getting. I'm very stuck to Ibanez (because they look cool haha). I know to avoid Fender Strats, right? So I'm kind of open for anything...

I'm thinking of playing rock to hard rock. No metal, maybe some punk. Some artists I want to play like are Sixx: AM ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlS_kmxES0 ), Ellegarden ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRtArRGMTg ) and other random stuff ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U1lf8RYa9E )

Thanks for the input!

Edit: Should I just save up for an Ibanez rg350dx (+$200) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/rg350dx/index.html) instead? I would have to really cheap out on the amp and other equipment then...

I can't speak for the Ibanez, but I can speak for the Special II. Avoid at all costs. Seriously. It was my first guitar (when I knew nothing about them) and lemme tell you, I would never ever ever ever ever in my life buy one again. Terrible guitars with terrible resale value, terrible electronics and terrible everything.
Quote by Lewadra
May I suggest that instead of those amps, look at a Roland Micro Cube? It might cost 20-30 more but trust me, Cubes are excellent practice amps (look! I got a 30 watt cube myself!).

Hm... Alright, I'll definitely consider it. It seems pretty good from what I've seen. Thanks!

Quote by Lurcher
Stay well away from any trem system. They are nasty to tune and on cheaper guitars will pull your tuning all over the place so you have to re-tune every few minutes. Not using one with it there is not a great option either. There is still the problem of trying to tune against a spring. Stick with a hardtail guitar until you are playing decently.

It cant be that big of a deal to just ignore one of the features...? I dont think I can find a guitar I like that doesnt have a trem... I'm really stuck to Ibanez, and I dont think they sell any hardtail guitars. I'm not planning on even touching the trem.
Quote by Lewadra

The micro cube is only good if you want farts for your tone.
^It's not that bad for a practice amp. That being said, the Vypyr 15 is a better deal.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Peavey Vypyr 15 is more versatile, and has a good tone. Plus MUCH more effects. I say go with the Vypyr.
Quote by bloppyblue
I'm really stuck to Ibanez, and I dont think they sell any hardtail guitars.

Are you kidding? Take a look at their website.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Fender strats are good. Squires are not so good.

Stay away from MG's or spiders. Go for vyper or roland cube.

I don't know alot about ibanez they go from high to low grades i think.

Epiphones are alriight.

Don't make him sound stupid. He doesent got his knowledge of guitars yet.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by darkcheef
The micro cube is only good if you want farts for your tone.

LOL, alright, Vypyr it is then!

Quote by vinnie-watt5
Don't make him sound stupid. He doesent got his knowledge of guitars yet.

Thanks man And I'm a girl, haha.

Alright guys, thanks so much for all the help I think I'm gonna go for the Vypyr 15 and save up more money for the Ibanez RG350
Quote by bloppyblue

Alright guys, thanks so much for all the help I think I'm gonna go for the Vypyr 15 and save up more money for the Ibanez RG350

You know as a girl guitarist around here, you have to play in skirts and play Black Sabbath. I am sorry if you don't want to, but they are the rules around here
Quote by bloppyblue

+100 profile views for TS.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Page 1 of 2