No, this isn't bout drumming, but our drummer decides to get us a 'gig' at a bar and we don't know ANY songs yet...

He's decided to tell this bar that we'll play 3 songs and then jam for about 1/2 an hour.

This would be so bad if I had known the 3 songs he chose. I only know 1/3...

How could I go about learning Nuthin' but a Good Time and Talk Dirty to Me in a week or less...

EDIT: I only still need to learn the SOLO in Nuthin' but a Good Time, but Talk Dirty to Me...I haven't even started...
Why is this in the technique thread? It sounds like something you would want to post a Myspace bulliten about... I'm really sure those songs aren't THAT difficult to learn.
Quote by TatarSalad2
Why is this in the technique thread? It sounds like something you would want to post a Myspace bulliten about... I'm really sure those songs aren't THAT difficult to learn.

Technique FORUM...

And practicing is a technique, IMO. That's why it's here. They aren't hard, but it's the fact that I've only got a week. I'm guessing just work my ass off with them?
well i don't know how good you are but to me those aren't very difficult so yeah man just learn it or bail are basically your options
Quote by The.new.guy
Technique FORUM...

And practicing is a technique, IMO. That's why it's here. They aren't hard, but it's the fact that I've only got a week. I'm guessing just work my ass off with them?

Touche!

But yeah. You really need to work your ass off.
Talk Dirty To Me is easy to play, the solo especially, and for the Nothin’ But A Good Time solo just make something up that sounds similar if you can’t learn it, chances are that most people in the bar aren’t gonna know the solo note for note and its basically standard 80’s hair metal noodling solo stuff
If you can't learn a solo, but know some of it, just make parts up! Improvise! I swear, only like 2-4 people in the bar will actually go "Hey! That's not the solo", but still they'll guess you're improvising your own... So if anything, people will go even more "Yay!"

When we were playing Sweet home alabama with our music group in school on the last day before summerbreak, I was playing the really simple intro riff (not the main riff) but got bored so i improved... no one cared or even noticed, just more "WOOOHOOO!"
Gear:

Eastone ST-1
Jackson RR3 Limited Edition
Kustom Arrow 16
Line 6 POD X3 Live
The Box MA-120 MK-II
just try to make some parts up(if you cant finish the solo or some parts of it) i'll work though but maybe try your best in completing the song.give yourself some determination!
Damn man I can average 3 or 4 songs a week and play them pretty well sometimes even

more so 2 songs shouldn't be too hard and if they are really hard get the tabs for them

here and an orignal copy of the music and GET YER ASS TO WORK! This outlines why I hate

covers because its more about memory than actual skill
Don't worry dude as long as you're somewhat good at guitar, those songs should be NO problem. I just looked at the tabs and doodled with them on my guitar and I basically learned the first few riffs and can play along to both the intro and verse's to both.. and that only took 20 minutes to get them up to speed with the song.

And while it may take longer for the solo, as long as you know the sound of the solo off the top of your head you can improvise the solo a bit and make it similar to the other solo without learning most of the notes.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Last edited by DragTheWaters11 at Oct 16, 2009,
Quick tip - learn the form.

If it's AABA then you have 3 things to learn - A, B, and the order.

Sometimes spotting repeating patterns makes life very easy - sometimes songs are just weird. Paranoid for example, what's that about? 5 verses with random transitions...

And work your ass off, obviously.
You got a whole week? My old drummer did the same kinda thing when we had no singer, the fiddler was off home and it was 2 hours notice to play a 2 hour set. Have you any idea how long I played the Freebird solo for that night?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Captain Capo
Damn man I can average 3 or 4 songs a week and play them pretty well sometimes even more so 2 songs shouldn't be too hard and if they are really hard get the tabs for them here and an orignal copy of the music and GET YER ASS TO WORK! This outlines why I hate covers because its more about memory than actual skill

First of all since your spacing was so awful and hard to read, I fixed it.
Second of all, don't be an elitist. Everyone learns at different speeds. I myself usually spend at least two or three weeks on a song, really playing close attention to details, and not trying to rush it. But I have a friend that can learn the song as well as me within three days. This doesn't make me worse. :/
Thidly, I doubt you get 3-4 songs a week. That means in a year of guitar playing, you'll have learned at least 150 songs. That's near impossible I'd say.

TS, I'd say just work really hard, like everyone else. Don't learn fast though. Still pay close attention to the details, probably even more attention than you normally would, just because its a short amount of time, shorter than you would normally learn it (So I presume).
and good luck!
Quote by Baby Joel
First of all since your spacing was so awful and hard to read, I fixed it.
Second of all, don't be an elitist. Everyone learns at different speeds. I myself usually spend at least two or three weeks on a song, really playing close attention to details, and not trying to rush it. But I have a friend that can learn the song as well as me within three days. This doesn't make me worse. :/
Thidly, I doubt you get 3-4 songs a week. That means in a year of guitar playing, you'll have learned at least 150 songs. That's near impossible I'd say.

TS, I'd say just work really hard, like everyone else. Don't learn fast though. Still pay close attention to the details, probably even more attention than you normally would, just because its a short amount of time, shorter than you would normally learn it (So I presume).
and good luck!

I bet he did. He just learns Jonas Brother, Hannah Montana, and Punk rock.

Now If he were to pick anything with skill, He would probably have to spend a week on that one alone.

About the solos, If you have the riffs down, your pretty much already there. Those songs require the Pentatonic Scale for soloing, so really all you have to do is improvise around it and the Major scales. Learn the main licks of the solos, and build around it.
cancel the show?

learn the songs?

i mean... how the hell the people from the internetz could help in this :p
Quote by deluxity
i mean... how the hell the people from the internetz could help in this :p

maybe if he told us where and when he's playing, we could all show up and turn it into an impromptu open jam and he wouldn't have to learn any songs after all
Quote by ascend
maybe if he told us where and when he's playing, we could all show up and turn it into an impromptu open jam and he wouldn't have to learn any songs after all

As incredibly bad ass that would be, I doubt anyone would want to show up...small bar...small town...****hole state.
I just watched both on youtube. Why did people ever listen tho this again? I don't Bret Michaels understands that wearing woman's clothing and lipstick is not an effective way to project his masculinity.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
I've been rushed into gigs before, never again. I like to make sure we're really good and have the vocal harmonies and things worked out before we ever do a gig. One bad gig in the beginning can kill the bands rep before you even have one.