with a part time summer job
i bought a fender stratocaster (mim)
i have been playing guitar for about 5 years but compared to my actual playing, my knowledge in guitar/ effects/ are like zero
anyways i wanted to try out divebombing with my strat cuz it has a tremolo bar
and i looked around internet and many ppl seem to talk about floyd rose
which i my strat doesnt have

so is it ok to divebomb or "not be gentle" with the whammy bar because sometimes it makes uncomfortable string tension like high popping sound and im wondering if its because the guitar is new and i dont think im doing the divebombing wrong cuz sometimes i get the right sound
and i realize my guitar goes out of tune if i mess around for too long
and because im worried i might be damaging the guitar i dont do it anymore

i dont even know how tight you screw in the whammy bar into the bridgethingie either i just turn it until it becomes really tight that i cant move it and loosen it abit

please help me
You probably won't damage anything unless you are a dumbass about it. You won't get the desired divebomb effect you are talking about though. The range of a strat trem is nowhere near what a Floyd has, but it won't break (unless you are Herman Li'ing it to the max)
it shouldn't break anything but it def won't be as awesome as you want it to be without a floyd rose or other comparable system (Kahler, Edge 3 among others).

+1 to the guy above me; that's pretty much it
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
I broke mine doing a dive bomb on "Eruption." Just snapped off in my hand, and a lot of it is stuck in the bridge. I wasn't even pushing that hard. Then again, it was a $15 bar on a ghetto Indonesian Squire.
Quote by googleguitar
so is it ok to divebomb or "not be gentle" with the whammy bar because sometimes it makes uncomfortable string tension like high popping sound and im wondering if its because the guitar is new and i dont think im doing the divebombing wrong cuz sometimes i get the right sound

Are you sure it's the bar itself? It could just be the strings slipping on the bridge/nut/string trees.

and i realize my guitar goes out of tune if i mess around for too long
and because im worried i might be damaging the guitar i dont do it anymore

Actually, going out of tune is the only concern with those types of trems. What you can do to ease the effect is to line the slots in the nut for the strings with something that's got less friction, like graphite. Easiest way to do that is take a pencil, rub it into the grooves in the nut. That will lessen the effect of going out of tune, but not as completely as adding a set of locking tuners will (you can buy a set specifically for your type of guitar).

i dont even know how tight you screw in the whammy bar into the bridgethingie either i just turn it until it becomes really tight that i cant move it and loosen it abit

I'd rather not do that. Seems like it just puts too much stress on the whammy bar. Loosen it a bit. It won't make much difference to your tone or playability, and won't stress the bar too much in use.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I let the whammy bar on my OLP (strat style bridge) just hang floppy. It's more a preference thing than anything.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Noslo13
I broke mine doing a dive bomb on "Eruption." Just snapped off in my hand, and a lot of it is stuck in the bridge. I wasn't even pushing that hard.

this is the biggest thing you have to worry about, i think. i don't think you can damage the actual bridge so much, but the whammy bar itself can break. i've heard lots of stories about vintage termolo's (which is what you have) having the bar break off inside. happened to my friend's Fender SRV signature model. the worst part is the only way to fix it at that point is to get a new bridge.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
this is the biggest thing you have to worry about, i think. i don't think you can damage the actual bridge so much, but the whammy bar itself can break. i've heard lots of stories about vintage termolo's (which is what you have) having the bar break off inside. happened to my friend's Fender SRV signature model. the worst part is the only way to fix it at that point is to get a new bridge.
That's not even remotely accurate dude. There are a few ways to get the threaded remains out of the bridge after the bar breaks.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
i haven't seen his guitar since the accident but he said the very tip of the bar is broken off in his bridge and he can't remove it. i know with a floyd you could remove it, but i don't know the inner workings of a vintage style trem.

EDIT: and he's the type of guy who; if it can be removed it would have been done later that day. i know it's been close to 2 years or so now. but fender refuses to send out parts to individual customers and apparently the SRV bridge isn't too common (and insanely expensive where you can find it)
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Oct 16, 2009,