Hello, I noticed this massive mark on one of my transformers on my 6505
does anyone know what causes this? and if its really bad?

It's the mark of the devil. You might want to get it exorcised.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
yeah its the same photo and nah it wasnt on the tube, if your looking front on to the amp its on the left transformer. its not a scratch i dont think, looks like a mark
^congrats. You and travis have just been reported. Take your spam to the pit if you don't know how to offer advice.

Jamesy - it looks like solder but if it doesn't have any texture to it I wouldn't worry about it. Something probably just marked it up in assembly or something. I doubt it was caused by the transformer itself but I'm not an amp tech. I did forward your thread to the Who To Listen To sticky so in the hopes that someone or possibly a moderator may have any other ideas.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 16, 2009,
oh ok! thanks!!! great help i thought it may of been because of heat? like if something gets really hot the paint could melt? but yeah i think your right
How long have you used your amp since you obtained it?

It looks like the mark is really on the transformer. So my guess is that if your amp is working and has not given out any odd smells or has not been acting up during this period, its not life-threatening just yet.

Like 311 said, it looks like solder, or as you have suggested it could be paint. You should post a clear picture, but my guess is that it's not gonna grow up and eat your amp, so I don't think you need to worry.

I would suggest that you keep your ears peeled for odd noise and your noise turned for funny smells.

Hey 311, you ok today? Its the first time I've seen your report so many people in such a short time.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
How long have you used your amp since you obtained it?

It looks like the mark is really on the transformer. So my guess is that if your amp is working and has not given out any odd smells or has not been acting up during this period, its not life-threatening just yet.

Like 311 said, it looks like solder, or as you have suggested it could be paint. You should post a clear picture, but my guess is that it's not gonna grow up and eat your amp, so I don't think you need to worry.

I would suggest that you keep your ears peeled for odd noise and your noise turned for funny smells.

Hey 311, you ok today? Its the first time I've seen your report so many people in such a short time.

well ive had the amp for 3 months, got it new, use it pretty much everyday for about an hour or so, sometimes more or less.

the only thing i can smell is when its been on for a long time it gets really hot and u can smell the heat. wouldnt say its a "funny" smell.
Quote by jamesy_pwd
well ive had the amp for 3 months, got it new, use it pretty much everyday for about an hour or so, sometimes more or less.

the only thing i can smell is when its been on for a long time it gets really hot and u can smell the heat. wouldnt say its a "funny" smell.

Is it the Randall?

You smell something like ozone right, that's normal. A number of tube amps give out that ozone-y smell when the power tubes start cooking.

What's the longest you've ever used it?

As 311 has suggested. Maybe clearer pictures sent to the manufacturer might shed some light on the situation too.

However, I doubt its anything severe.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

Yeah, it looks like solder but he says it has no texture to it so I'm assuming it is just something left over from the manufacturing process. A mark. He has a 5150 btw.

I didn't suggest sending a pic to Peavey to ask them but that is a good idea.

Transformers do not really get hot and I doubt anything inside the amp, like the tubes, would get hot enough cause a mark like that. Well, outside of maybe a red-plating tube but still, I don't think that has happened to his amp.

And yes, I've been dealing with a lot of idiots today. Time for a break.

G'night

no its my 6505+ head. longest ive ever used it.... probz bout 5 hours straight, lol
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, it looks like solder but he says it has no texture to it so I'm assuming it is just something left over from the manufacturing process. A mark. He has a 5150 btw.

I didn't suggest sending a pic to Peavey to ask them but that is a good idea.

Transformers do not really get hot and I doubt anything inside the amp, like the tubes, would get hot enough cause a mark like that. Well, outside of maybe a red-plating tube but still, I don't think that has happened to his amp.

And yes, I've been dealing with a lot of idiots today. Time for a break.

G'night

I actually meant to write "Do as 311 suggested. You might also want to take a clear picture and send it to the manufacturer.

Also, I suspect that he has mentioned the 5150 somewhere in his opening, but I probably missed it. I've not been feeling too well at all today.

Quote by jamesy_pwd
no its my 6505+ head. longest ive ever used it.... probz bout 5 hours straight, lol

5 hours is quite a long time... I think you have very little to worry about, honestly.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 16, 2009,

It's late and threads/posts start to blend together after awhile. Copious amounts of alcohol doesn't help. He did say 6505+ in OP and I new it was a 6505+ from talking to him earlier. Same difference though for this conversation.

(man I really do need a break from this place)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
(man I really do need a break from this place)

I know the feeling.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I don't know if this explains the mark on your transformer, but some transformer manufacturers put their logo on a thin metal plate and then attach it to the top of the transformer. In the course of sitting around in a bin until they are used to build an amp, they sometimes fall off. That may have caused the mark on your transformer.

Whatever it is, it looks like a finish flaw and as such is nothing to concern yourself with.
okay, thanks alot was just a bit concerned when i found it, dont want my amp blowing up during a show. though that would win me a lot of points with the audience for great effects (Y)
Quote by jamesy_pwd
okay, thanks alot was just a bit concerned when i found it, dont want my amp blowing up during a show. though that would win me a lot of points with the audience for great effects (Y)

and then you'll be an amp poorer.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by FatalGear41
I don't know if this explains the mark on your transformer, but some transformer manufacturers put their logo on a thin metal plate and then attach it to the top of the transformer. In the course of sitting around in a bin until they are used to build an amp, they sometimes fall off. That may have caused the mark on your transformer.

This is what I think it is. Some sort of adhesive for a lot number sticker or something.
In any case, your amp would fail long before the transformer got hot enough to scorch or burn like that, so it's nothing to worry about.