If you own this head let me know how it is. if you played it only for a few minutes then dont bother replying. i know vox clean channels are pretty solid. looking to get more info on the od channel. i know you can get a pretty decent sabbath sound out of this thing. what about more of a heavier stoner metal type sound? i cant find any decent video reviews of this am at all.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Oct 16, 2009,
Well, I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by only asking advice from owners-

I've spent quite a bit of time with one, and there's a reason I don't have one.
The clean channel is not what you'd expect from a vox, it's got significantly less chime and top end than the usual AC15/30 clean sound. It has a decent amount of gain available so it should cover your genres, but the OD channel just doesn't sound particularly warm and it doesn't have the same character other higher gain amps do. To me vox tried to bridge the gap and it just turned out half-hearted.
Quote by Roc8995
Well, I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by only asking advice from owners-

I've spent quite a bit of time with one, and there's a reason I don't have one.
The clean channel is not what you'd expect from a vox, it's got significantly less chime and top end than the usual AC15/30 clean sound. It has a decent amount of gain available so it should cover your genres, but the OD channel just doesn't sound particularly warm and it doesn't have the same character other higher gain amps do. To me vox tried to bridge the gap and it just turned out half-hearted.

yeah, i know there are probably some people that have spent a decent amount of time on one to really mess with controls, but majority of the time its not the case. how was the low end on the amp? plus what cab(s) did you run it through? my second stack will be krank cabs cause they have really good low end. just cant decide on a head for this stack. stressing me out. wondering if maybe instead of stack 1 having dual heads that stack 2 should be.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
For a cabinet with nice low end I would actually suggest Orange.

Not only will you want an amp with some nice gain, but it is popular with stoner metal to run a slight Fuzz into a high gain overdrive channel on your amplifier.

What is your budget?
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']For a cabinet with nice low end I would actually suggest Orange.

Not only will you want an amp with some nice gain, but it is popular with stoner metal to run a slight Fuzz into a high gain overdrive channel on your amplifier.

What is your budget?

if i could afford it a thunderverb 200 would be sitting in my room right now man. oh and my budget is pretty much whatever i want, but i have to save for it. stack 1 isnt even complete yet so i have time to get stack 2 but the mount of time itd take to save up for the head then cabs would be way too long. trying to stay reasonable but still find a way to get a really good low end. so far this isnt going at all like i thought. haha
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Last edited by Crohny at Oct 18, 2009,
So why do you need full stacks, If you get a half stack you save that much money and are on your way to the Orange, and colin was right on the ac100, I owned one and he pretty much hit it dead on.
Quote by Rhoads_1096
So why do you need full stacks, If you get a half stack you save that much money and are on your way to the Orange, and colin was right on the ac100, I owned one and he pretty much hit it dead on.

i wont be getting full stacks at first. i need to be more clear with what i say. haha. i found a place that has orange heads that are b-stock with full factory warranty so im thinking ill just save up for what i really want. just going to take a minute to get 2 grand.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
if i could afford it a thunderverb 200 would be sitting in my room right now man. oh and my budget is pretty much whatever i want, but i have to save for it. stack 1 isnt even complete yet so i have time to get stack 2 but the mount of time itd take to save up for the head then cabs would be way too long. trying to stay reasonable but still find a way to get a really good low end. so far this isnt going at all like i thought. haha

a thunderverb 200? in your room? with good low end and bedroom volume levels? you didnt think that through very well
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
a thunderverb 200? in your room? with good low end and bedroom volume levels? you didnt think that through very well

yeah, im going to spend 2000-2800 on an amp for bed room play only. that makes complete sense.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by guitaruboy
uh oh
he's getting mouthy!

looks more like im pointing out the fdact people dont have common sense.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by guitaruboy
same thing based on the way you said it
oh well

I didn't say anything.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
yeah, im going to spend 2000-2800 on an amp for bed room play only. that makes complete sense.

you said if you had the cash it would be SITTING IN YOUR ROOM right now. Check to see how much sense your statement makes before accusing people of not having common sense. If you cant handle the sarcasm around here then you're not gonna like many of the posts that pop up.

Now if you happen to live in a stadium or arena then please disregard everything I said.

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
you said if you had the cash it would be SITTING IN YOUR ROOM right now. Check to see how much sense your statement makes before accusing people of not having common sense. If you cant handle the sarcasm around here then you're not gonna like many of the posts that pop up.

Now if you happen to live in a stadium or arena then please disregard everything I said.

well considering my shit gets stored in my room cause it's the only room that doesn't get smoked in it makes sense to me. Even when I play in my room it's not at normal volume levels for a bed room. Should use ear plugs most of the time. I know how forums work nim not new to them nor peoples impulse to post pointless posts that have no basis. Don't think it's that hard to not be a tool and not post pointless stuff.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by joe_k
Definately go the orange. the gain beats the shit out of every other amp i have played, especially for stoner stuff.

I want an orange bad. They're great for stoner stuff obviously but they are very versitile. Which I like in an amp. I play more than just metal so I like tocover all the bases. Orange does that well. Just hard to get 2000-2800 saved up quick haha. Plus I have a bad habbit of being an impulse buyer. If I have a large chuck of money around and I see a guitar I wan that's not made anymore it's too tempting. Like that 56 reissue goldtop with p9"s epiphone made. Want that badly haha.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
w/e bro

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce