It's all up to you my friend... Harmonic Minor, Phrygian, Pentatonic, the list goes on and on...
Here is the post-rock pattern

e|--1-2-3-4
B|--1-2-3-4
G|--1-2-3-4
D|--1-2-3-4
A|--1-2-3-4
E|--1-2-3-4

I mean it's post rock. Dissonance is beauty!

I couldn't believe that there
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Post rock is what the CD's are in the corner of that CD store that charges double price for all its CDs where all those kids who are look like they are trying too hard stand around.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Quote by bpazolli
Post rock is what the CD's are in the corner of that CD store that charges double price for all its CDs where all those kids who are look like they are trying too hard stand around.

Right. :/
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
without sounding likea total idiot, what the hell is post rock?

Can't really explain it, but if you wanna try some look up Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Ross and Mogwai. They all sounds fairly different so it's hard to give PR a valid definition.

Then again, I don't listen to much.

As for the OP's question, I guess use whatever. Dissonance is always good though. Post-rock seems to be about experimenting so... Experiment!
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP

Post rock is music made with rock instruments that isn't strictly rock. It's usually instrumental.
If you want dissonance try the whole tone scale. It has some very dissonant chords. Augmented chords. I have yet to be able to make it sound melodic with rock music. But its a pretty awesome scale.
Quote by Cloudburst
Post rock is music made with rock instruments that isn't strictly rock. It's usually instrumental.

If it is that, it sounds like you should learn random scales and exotic ones.
Post-Punk was never a genre, just like Punk never was. It was a movement, which happened after the Punk movement. It wasn't an exact sound. It was the pre-cursor to Alternative, with bands like REM, B-52's, and Gang of Four being bands that would define it.

Don't learn scales to play a sound that doesn't exist. Learn scales to learn guitar.
Quote by Tedward
knowing major and minor scales would be a great start to be honest.

+a million
Quote by Buck's Student
Post-Punk was never a genre, just like Punk never was. It was a movement, which happened after the Punk movement. It wasn't an exact sound. It was the pre-cursor to Alternative, with bands like REM, B-52's, and Gang of Four being bands that would define it.

Don't learn scales to play a sound that doesn't exist. Learn scales to learn guitar.

Punk is a genre of music, a social/political movement, an attitude, and, to a lesser extent, a fashion (don't need to be all three though.)
Post punk was definitely a genre of music even if you don't consider punk a genre, and he said post rock, not punk.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Lots O' FX
Punk is a genre of music, a social/political movement, an attitude, and, to a lesser extent, a fashion (don't need to be all three though.)
Post punk was definitely a genre of music even if you don't consider punk a genre, and he said post rock, not punk.

No, I don't consider either a genre. I was using punk as an example, as you can't have post-punk without punk.

Same thing with grunge, really. It was alternative rock, and some metal. Alice In Chains' sound had little to do with Nirvanas. It was just a movement, just like post-grunge.

Argue all you like. You probably think Goth is still alive.
Quote by Buck's Student
No, I don't consider either a genre. I was using punk as an example, as you can't have post-punk without punk.

Same thing with grunge, really. It was alternative rock, and some metal. Alice In Chains' sound had little to do with Nirvanas. It was just a movement, just like post-grunge.

jaja you win!!
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by Buck's Student

IMO there's more to the word "genre" than you seem to think. A genre can describe a musical style, a scene, a "movement," an aesthetic, or anything else. Sure, Alice In Chains didn't sound that much like Nirvana, but they did have other things in common. Punk was and is a genre. So is post-punk. And I would argue that post-grunge isn't a "movement" at all, as it really didn't build upon grunge at all.

That's all irrelevant to this thread, however, as this thread is about post-rock, not post-punk or post-grunge. On topic, scales don't make genres. You can use most any scale for most any genre.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP

Quite simply, it's music made with traditional rock instruments (electric guitar, bass, and drums almost exclusively), that isn't rock. Explosions in the sky is a good example.

Since Post-Rock is supposed to not be influenced by past music types, learning scales would be counter-productive.
Free speech is the right to shout "Theatre!" in a crowded fire.
Quote by werty22
IMO there's more to the word "genre" than you seem to think. A genre can describe a musical style, a scene, a "movement," an aesthetic, or anything else. Sure, Alice In Chains didn't sound that much like Nirvana, but they did have other things in common. Punk was and is a genre. So is post-punk. And I would argue that post-grunge isn't a "movement" at all, as it really didn't build upon grunge at all.

No sense in arguing with you. You probably think Talking Heads are post-punk, and that Green Day is a punk band.

And who's even heard of post-rock? Shouldn't that be called "Cliff" or "Valley".
Quote by Buck's Student
No sense in arguing with you. You probably think Talking Heads are post-punk, and that Green Day is a punk band.

And who's even heard of post-rock? Shouldn't that be called "Cliff" or "Valley".

No sense in arguing with you. You make completely baseless assumptions about people rather than respond to their insights.

And you have apparently never heard of post-rock, which makes me wonder wtf you're doing in a thread about post-rock.

Edit: You registered YESTERDAY and you already have 53 posts? You must have been online all day. Anyway, it's a little soon to be going around insulting people, don't you think? You'll make enemies quickly that way.
Last edited by werty22 at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by werty22
No sense in arguing with you. You make completely baseless assumptions about people rather than respond to their insights.

And you have apparently never heard of post-rock, which makes me wonder wtf you're doing in a thread about post-rock.

Edit: You registered YESTERDAY and you already have 53 posts? You must have been online all day. Anyway, it's a little soon to be going around insulting people, don't you think? You'll make enemies quickly that way.

No, I registered only a few hours ago. It's easy to get that many posts on a big board like this.

Anyway, got a little carried away, as I am very passionate in my stance about punk (And other movements). Plus, I misread the title in the first place. It wasn't until your earlier post that I saw that it was a post-rock thread. Sorry for the "baseless assumptions", which came from built up frustration. I have been reading posts on the board for a LONG time, without ever becoming a member, and thought there was more open-minded people here (Not accusing you of being close-minded, just others). So far, not so, but it's cool.
Quote by Buck's Student
No, I registered only a few hours ago. It's easy to get that many posts on a big board like this.

Easy to get to 10 or 11 in a few hours, maybe. 53 is just overkill
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.