I don't understand counting time signatures... Like i understand that if you have 4/4 it means 4 quarter notes a measure, and it's counted 1-2-3-4. But if you have like 4/8, why is it counted 1and-2and-3and-4and? Eighth notes are shorter than quarter, shouldn't the counting be faster?
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
they're not at the same tempo then, the one in 4/8 is slowed down to be at the same pace as 4/4, i think that's what you're getting at. if they were both at 120bpm, 4/8 would be twice as fast. or i've gotten it wrong and shown myself up, but hey i tried x
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
firstly in 4/4 you count 8th notes as 1-and-2-and-3-and-4 and, counting 1-and in the same time as 1 quarter note. in 4/8 time you would count 1-and-2-and cause there's only 4 8th notes. to clear it up one quarter note is divided by two to get two quarter notes that pass in the same amount of time as the one quarter note.

man i am a fooking genius
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis 2
firstly in 4/4 you count 8th notes as 1-and-2-and-3-and-4 and, counting 1-and in the same time as 1 quarter note. in 4/8 time you would count 1-and-2-and cause there's only 4 8th notes. to clear it up one quarter note is divided by two to get two quarter notes that pass in the same amount of time as the one quarter note.

man i am a fooking genius

yes
4/4 is same as 8/8 except instead of counting 1-2-3-4 you count 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and... But it's still in the same tempo the -and- counts are just between 1-2-3-4.

4/8 is kinda like 2/4 the diffrence is that 4/8 is counted 1-and-2-and... (then start again at 1) but 2/4 is counted 1-2...
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Quote by Gulli05
4/4 is same as 8/8 except instead of counting 1-2-3-4 you count 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and... But it's still in the same tempo the -and- counts are just between 1-2-3-4.

4/8 is kinda like 2/4 the diffrence is that 4/8 is counted 1-and-2-and... (then start again at 1) but 2/4 is counted 1-2...

No, 8/8 is not the same. 4/4 is simple duple time, where as 8/8 is almost always asymmetrical time because the grouping is usually 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2. Like 6/8 with two more 8th notes as opposed to 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2
Quote by Gulli05

You would count 4/8 as 1-2-3-4. Using 'and' is reserved for divisions of the beat. Eighth notes are the beat here, so you don't say them as divisions.
These last two answers are spot-on. ^
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea