Hey folks,

Just interested to find out why someone would use a 12 string guitar. Are 6 in one tuning and 6 in another? And how do you play it exactly?

Thanks guys!
Quote by KTFM
Wonderwall.
Bitches love Wonderwall.
Ok 12 string guitars (double course strings) are just tuned in octaves, each of your main strings EADGBE is paired with a much lighter string an octave higher, creating a more full bodied sound. Classic example being Stairway really.

Normally found on acoustics more than Electric, but still follow the same concept for each.
Do you think Smells Like Teen Spirit would sound the same if Paige hadn't used a 12 strings on it!?

The main set of strings are tuned in standard E with the extra bass strings an octave higher (also usually placed on top of its counterpart so that the higher pitched strings are strung first) and the treble strings in unison. This makes: eE-aA-dD-gG-BB-EE.

The extra strings create a chorus-like effect, making twelve string guitars popular for open chord strumming.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Go back to The Hollies. 12 string electric was the essence of their sound. I have 2 electric 12s in different tunings ('cos tuning them is a pain) and I use them quite a bit for background guitar on recordings, then wail away on top with a 6 string.
Acoustic 12s are so commonly used as they give a lovely full sound with loads of harmonics. Plus they have that unique twang. The only downsides are the effort required to hold a clean chord and, unless you invest a lot in a 12 saddle tune-o-matic bridge, intonation can never be right.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by evening_crow
Do you think Smells Like Teen Spirit would sound the same if Paige hadn't used a 12 strings on it!?

Uhhh I think you mean Stairway. Teen Spirit is Nirvana, and there's no way any sane person would use a 12 string for it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Uhhh I think you mean Stairway. Teen Spirit is Nirvana, and there's no way any sane person would use a 12 string for it.

He was very obviously kidding.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
He was very obviously kidding.

Thank you for pointing out what i so thought was obvious.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
so you always play all 12 at once? could sound quite awesome..
Quote by KTFM
Wonderwall.
Bitches love Wonderwall.
I think you'll understand better when you see this:

The strings are placed close together so that you can fret two at the same time with one finger without barring.