Poll: How do you acquire your music?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you acquire your music?
I pirate my music.
132 22%
I buy my music.
96 16%
I both pirate and buy my music.
355 60%
I don't listen to music.
7 1%
Voters: 590.
Page 1 of 4
Hi UG,

In my BTEC NND Music Technology course, one of the assignments is to research and discuss an aspect of Music in detail. I have chosen to do the subject of Music Piracy, and whether if it's good overall for the music business.

If you wouldn't mind taking a minute or two out to fill in my questionnaire it would really help my research. I am currently focusing on record sales and the popularity of music piracy. But I am going to look at indie band publicity and weigh it against record sales.

If asked for, I will upload my findings at the end of my research onto a UG column for those to see, but only if you ask for it.

Thanks in advance

Also, if you have any advice on my subject I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

---------------------

How old are you?

Where do you live? (i.e. America, Britain, France, etc. I don't need specifics)

What is the approximate size of your music library? (In gigabytes)

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? (In albums i.e. 15)

Choose one of the following questions to answer:

a) Do you predominantly pirate music, and if so, how? (P2P, Torrents, friends, bootlegs, etc)
b) Do you predominantly buy your music, and if so, what platform do you buy your music on? (CD, Downloads)
c) Do you both pirate and download your music, and if so, what platforms?

If you pirate music, why do you?

If you buy your music, why do you?

If you do both, why do you?

Finally, what is your overall opinion on music Piracy and your views on how it affects the music industry.

-------------------------

Thank you for doing my questionnaire

Boreamor.
Last edited by boreamor at Apr 18, 2010,
Arr, avast,
Me harties,
Shiver ye timbers,
Limber up,
Yo ho,
Yo ho,
Walk the plank,
Get me the treasure,
Arr.
******s, **** off with your pirate jokes.

---------------------

How old are you?
UK
40gb

a) Do you predominantly priate music, and if so, how? (P2P, Torrents, friends, bootlegs, etc)
Torrents

If i don't like the album then thats £15 wasted or something, if i really respect the music after i hear it i'll try purchase.
Also a lot of bands that i want to listen to don't get their albums released in the UK so i have to pirate unless i want to spend bare dollaz on importing that **** in.

Finally, what is your overall opinion on music Piracy and your views on how it affects the music industry.
Yes its bad and i feel like a bad person for doing it, but i don't have the money to buy every single album i ever wanted. I don't think it really has a direct effect on the music industry really, because bands make more money from gigs and merchandise than they do on their CDs and such.
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

Last edited by Tezza_Larks at Oct 16, 2009,
Yo ho yo ho, a Pirate's life for me!
We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot,
Drink up, me hearties, yo ho!

EDIT: Boreamor, we're on the same course
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Oct 16, 2009,
Y i pirate music... cos itunes have that bull**** of "If u want this song buy the whole album"
F* u itunes shop.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Arr, avast,
Me harties,
Shiver ye timbers,
Limber up,
Yo ho,
Yo ho,
Walk the plank,
Get me the treasure,
Arr.

TS how did you not see this coming
"Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining" - Wrex
a) 16

b)Australia

c) 16 gigs

d) 190

e)yes, i always pirate my music, i use rapidshare

i pirate it cus im a stingy bastard :P

f) music industries doing fine, there are plenty of people i know that know they can pirate music but they buy it anyway. Also piracy is not always a bad thing, it raises band awareness and some people buy the album if they like it
How old are you?

Sweden

About 10 gig.

Purchased - about 10
Borrowed from library/Pirated - approx 50.

a) Do you predominantly priate music, and if so, how? (P2P, Torrents, friends, bootlegs, etc)
b) Do you predominantly buy your music, and if so, what platform do you buy your music on? (CD, Downloads)
C, I both pirate and download, Torrents and Rapidshare for downloading, when it comes to buying, CD.

Because i usually just download illagally when I can't get my hands on it at the library or at the stores.

Music industry dieing good, now people might look for actual talents when the record companies stop selling.
Making money off music is a risky business. People gotta face it. Good music can not be found on the radio today, and if there's no record companies, less Payola, less Payola, better quality (Hopefully).
DeVillains!
Last edited by Ylasto at Oct 16, 2009,
your research is bound to fail cos of a few predictable issues;

sample bias (if you think youre researching people in general. What youre doing now could only provide conclusions about musicians who attend internet forums. Most of which, I might add, are male).

social desirability / dropout rates; lots of people consider it stupid to admit to piracy. People who do pirate may be less inclined to answer your poll than people who dont, thus ****ing up your results.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
If I got to make music for a living, I'd be happy earning £20,000 a year (more than I'm on now). If getting free music means Mr Millionaire Rocker is down to his last Bentley, excuse me while I widdle on the World's Smallest Violin.
How old are you? 15

Where do you live? (i.e. America, Britain, France, etc. I don't need specifics) Britain

What is the approximate size of your music library? (In gigabytes) 21.51GB

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? (In albums i.e. 15) ~45

Bittorrent, CDs, Vinyl and occasionally iTunes

if I had the money, I'd buy all my music on CD or vinyl, but I'm permanently short on cash and torrenting is the fastest way of getting music

pirating music is obviously immoral because it doesn't give the people who made the music what they are due for making it, but at the same time, organisations such as the RIAA take things too far. I don't see piracy as the same as theft because it does not remove the original, and therefore the artist doesn't lose anything through it, they just don't gain what they would if the person downloading were to buy it, but in many cases (such as my own) they wouldn't buy it even if they didn't pirate it
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Tezza_Larks
******s, **** off with your pirate jokes.

Oh boo hoo. This is the Pit. Pirate jokes are ten a penny.
How old are you? 18

Where do you live? (i.e. America, Britain, France, etc. I don't need specifics) Canada

What is the approximate size of your music library? (In gigabytes) 22.4 on my computer, but i have many actual cds that i haven't ripped

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? (In albums i.e. 15) approx 40-50

a) Do you predominantly priate music, and if so, how? (P2P, Torrents, friends, bootlegs, etc) yes, i generally use torrents to download the whole cd

If you pirate music, why do you? usually it's to see if i like a band, and if i do, i might buy their next cd, or a shirt, or go to their next concert, besides, they make more money off merch than record sales anyhow

If you buy your music, why do you? to support the band and to have a physical copy, sometimes the packaging helps, like the Death Magnetic packaging, also, things like bonus dvds that i likely wouldn't download cuz i'll only watch once and probably set aside

If you do both, why do you? i like to support the acts i like any way possible, at the end of the day, as long as you're listening to them, i'm sure the artists don't care personally

Finally, what is your overall opinion on music Piracy and your views on how it affects the music industry. overall it is what it is, a free method of getting music that has been going on for decades, back to the 80's and the days of tape trading, the only difference is it's on a much larger scale these days. it is bad for record label, but they're thieves anyways, most cds cost 20$, and thats kinda ridiculous
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I think you missed a word in the thread title. And yes, I love pirate music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EF47ny4gBw

How old are you?

Australia

No idea, but it has 4018 songs in it, apparently. Although that includes things I've bought, or were legal to download.

150, maybe

No

Torrents and CDs.

I have no money, and I love music.

I want to support the artists when I can, and I like having the album art and things.

Because of those two reasons.

I think it can be seen as good, in the sense that people are able to hear albums before choosing to buy them, and both labels and bands are forced to do something really special to get them sold. It's changing the music industry, anyway.

The two most probable results I can think of are that the music industry will continue as it is but get slightly smaller; or record companies as large businesses will be abolished entirely, and bands will record their music themselves (something which is becoming increasingly easy), release it on the interknobs for free, and make their money from tours and merch (including physical copies of albums for those who prefer them). Either way I'm not that bothered.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 16, 2009,
How old are you? 17

Where do you live? Britain

What is the approximate size of your music library? Around 35gb

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? About 20-30

c) Do you both pirate and download your music, and if so, what platforms? If I buy, it's in CD form. I used to use itunes a bit but I stopped because a) the quality is ****e, b) I can't play it in my car, and c) it doesn't seem worth the cost if you don't get a physical copy. I also use torrents, but only occasionally now. Mostly I borrow others' CDs, or copy their itunes libraries

If you pirate music, why do you? No money, or if it's a CD I can't find. Also I'm unlikely to buy an album without hearing it beforehand.

If you buy your music, why do you? I like CDs. I'd buy them more if I could.

If you do both, why do you? See above

Finally, what is your overall opinion on music Piracy and your views on how it affects the music industry. It sucks if you're a musician just starting out, but honestly most major-label bands are doing fine anyway. If you're selling out massive venues on a tour and selling merch, etc, you're fine. It's the record companies who lose out from piracy more than the bands (although I'm sure this is gonna affect artists in some way eventually, with labels being less willing to sign acts, etc.) IMO it's not going to be the end of the industry, particularly with piracy laws getting tighter. We'll see, I guess.
How old are you?

England, UK.

~20GB.

CDs I actually own, maybe 25.
Downloaded, roughly 165.

Torrents, mostly from piratebay.
b) Do you predominantly buy your music, and if so, what platform do you buy your music on? (CD, Downloads)CD. If I pay money for something I want to be albe to actually touch it.

It's free, and I'm lazy. It's also a great way to get into new bands.

Because I really like the album/there's something extra you can't download/having a CD is a very different experience to listing to a torrented album IMO.

Because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to go into town and buy stuff. Most of what I wan't insn't in any local stores, anyway.

The way it is today, it's certainly not beneficial to the existing music industry. I do it because I don't want to waste what little money I have on music that I might not like. Things like Spotify are great for finding new music, but I can't carry my laptop around me whenever I want to listen to music which I don't physically own.

IMO responsible pirates should buy the music they download if they like it. But if what they want is really hard to find there isn't really an alternative to downloading it I don't think.

stratkat
I use free spotify for my music. Before I got spotify I had me and my brothers friend send music
How old are you?18

Where do you live? america

What is the approximate size of your music library? over 9000

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? **** load

c) Do you both pirate and download your music, and if so, what platforms?I buy them if i have money, if not i use bit torrent.

If you pirate music, why do you?because im broke.

If you buy your music, why do you?because i have money.

If you do both, why do you?**** these stupid qiestions.

Finally, what is your overall opinion on music Piracy and your views on how it affects the music industry. when i was a young boy, my father took me to the city.

I'M THE OLDIST PERSON IN THIS THREAD 18 FTW
Last edited by levi.lydat at Oct 16, 2009,
How old are you? 19, 20 as of this Tuesday.

Where do you live? Australia

What is the approximate size of your music library? 20.9GB

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? 25-30?

c) Do you both pirate and download your music, and if so, what platforms? I buy CD's and download music using torrents.

If you pirate music, why do you? Because it's a good way to check out a new band and see if I like them or not and it's also useful for finding music from really obscure bands.

If you buy your music, why do you? Because I like to support the artists that are making the music I enjoy listening to.

If you do both, why do you? See above reasons.

I think music piracy affects the record labels more than it affects the artists, but I think that it's a vicious cycle to some extent. More music pirating means less money for the record labels, so they pay the artists less, and raise their prices, so more people pirate music because they can't afford it, etc. etc.
sig goes here
How old are you? 19

Where do you live? America

What is the approximate size of your music library? 29.5 GB

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? (In albums i.e. 15) around 170 (and yes, that's physical, purchased CDs)

a) Do you predominantly priate music, and if so, how? rar storage sites

If you do both, why do you? i buy music when possible and the money is there. otherwise, i'm usually too poor or the music i want to hear is in no way accessible to me.

Finally, what is your overall opinion on music Piracy and your views on how it affects the music industry. i think it's only the bane of record companies, not artists. there's the principle, of course, that they are someone else's property. but the artist, on a pragmatic level, hardly gets paid anything usually for selling CDs. it's better to buy their merch and buy tickets to see their shows if you want to support an artist. i think it's good for music, but bad for the industry.
#DTWD
How old are you? 17

Where do you live? (i.e. America, Britain, France, etc. I don't need specifics) Australia

What is the approximate size of your music library? (In gigabytes) 200GB

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? (In albums i.e. 15) 40

a) Do you predominantly pirate music, and if so, how? (P2P, Torrents, friends, bootlegs, etc)
CD and MP3, mainly. Sorry if I didn't quite understand the question. xD

If you pirate music, why do you? I can't normally afford music and a lot of the music I like is undergound and is not available for me to purchase. My parents don't trust the Internet, so buying the CD's from their site is out of the question for me.

If you buy your music, why do you? Because I like the packaging and the physical memorabilia that comes with the purchase.

If you do both, why do you? ^^

Finally, what is your overall opinion on music Piracy and your views on how it affects the music industry. I can't be screwed answering this, sorry.
How old are you? 19

Britain
8.5 gigs
over 100

b) Do you predominantly buy your music, and if so, what platform do you buy your music on? (CD, Downloads) I use iTunes, and occasionally buy a hard copy.

I used to, because I couldn't afford to pay for cd's
Because I have a job now and can afford it and it's easier.

It's alright if you genuinely can't afford to buy music or if you want to check out a band before buying the cd.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
How old are you?
america
about 30 gigs
at least 100 CDS + several vinyls and about 50 cassettes

a) Do you predominantly priate music, and if so, how? (P2P, Torrents, friends, bootlegs,)
friends and blogs

i dont have the money to afford all the CDs i'd like/no means to purchase them
if a band is self-releasing material, ill usually buy
otherwise i support through concert tickets/merch
case in point, i own one album of Murder By Death's in physical form, but i have their entire discography on my computer. I came back 7 hours ago from seeing them live for the third or fourth time.

because its nice to own a physical representation of the music + its good to see that the bands get paid one way or another

i think it's destructive in the best way. realistically, who is suffering from music piracy? big labels with generic, uninteresting acts. the indie bands are getting hit too, but not as hard, and i feel that if, as a result of piracy, the music industry became more grassroots- removing "major" labels from the equation and relying moreso on touring (where a bands actual skill level is more obvious), word of mouth, and free means of self-promotion- the focus would shift away from the music industry, and back to the music.
~b
Last edited by ChordMonger at Oct 16, 2009,
How old are you? 19

Where do you live? (i.e. America, Britain, France, etc. I don't need specifics) Northern Irelnad

What is the approximate size of your music library? (In gigabytes) 65-70

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? (In albums i.e. 15) 30

as for your questions i neither buy or pirate music, i use spotify, which pays the artists to post their music and gives u unlimited music downloads, they make their money by advertising, or you can buy premium for 9.99 a month if you dont like their adverts

If you buy your music, why do you? to support the artists, especially in todays music economy, all those good for nothings pirating music cuz they're too cheap to actually spend a tenner to support an artist, i dont care if they're broke or not, theres an old fashioned thing called a job that earns you cash, even at minimum wage if you do two hours work, that enough for a CD, and whats 2 hours out of 24?

Personally i think music piracy is not good for the record industry in any ways whatsoever, it rips of labels and artist, and if artist dont make money they cannt finance new albums or tours, which in turn is bad for the fans and the entire music industry, because this will lead to less money being available for festivals and other forms of musical entertainment, people who pirate music are pathetic, i dont care what their excuse is, im sure every1 has access to a tenner every now and again
How old are you? 19

Where do you live? United States

What is the approximate size of your music library? 6+ gigs

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? 50 + however many digital albums I have.

b) Do you predominantly buy your music, and if so, what platform do you buy your music on? It is a mix. I buy physical albums (typically used). I never buy digital albums, however I own many legally because they are given away free by many artists on the internet.

If you pirate music, why do you? I do not.

If you buy your music, why do you? Music is an experience. I enjoy owning a physical copy, including artwork and other specialties. That said, I am very picky. I will pass on an album if it has ****ty artwork, and sometimes skip it if it has no booklet. If an artist wants me to buy, they need to give me a reason.

I personally don't really care about piracy. People do whatever they want regardless of my feelings. I do not think record labels should be complete asses about it. I mean, suing a 50 year old mother for downloading a few songs for her kids? **** that. If they're going to go after people, go after the ****ers who have gigs and gigs of illegal music. Songs are copyrighted. I don't care if they're audio bites. When 8-tracks were around, the only way to steal the music was to steal the physical tape. If people are going to steal, they may as well walk into a music store and steal the physical copy. It is the same deal.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
How old are you?
Channel Islands, Great Britain
~15GB
~5 or so

Warez sites, Rapidshare

Too expensive, feeding fatcats at the top of music conglomerates etc
It obviously affects the music industry, with large bands suffering the most, but primarily it's the corporations behind the artists that stand to lose the most money.

I would most likely buy my music and not pirate if it were cheaper and not so easy to get my hands on without paying
Say hi

Playing: Sleeping Dogs, FIFA 13, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2
Reading: The Hobbit

Watching: How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 24

Listening: Muse - The 2nd Law
How old are you?

Australia

30gb.

er, no idea how many albums. i have about 4700 songs in my library - most of them from full albums, not just single track downloads.

Yes. Torrents nearly all the time. Occasionally from friends, and occasionally I will download a song from an mp3 site if I'm not bothered about quality and it's a specific track I'm after.

It's quick and convenient, it's free, it's the only way i can afford to listen to bands i've never heard before and get albums 'just to see if they're good', and on a personal level - my belief is that music should be given away freely - if people like it enough to pay you money for it, then so be it, but I should have the ability to deposit money directly into a bank account for the band.

As stated above, I think music should be free, with people given the option to pay the bands/artists directly - kinda like Radiohead's In Rainbows. I don't think it's harmed the industry at all, if anything it's benefited it - i just think musicians need to adapt to the changing industry and realize that they have an even smaller chance of being stinking rich from music alone.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
How old are you? 18

Where do you live? (i.e. America, Britain, France, etc. I don't need specifics) The Netherlands

What is the approximate size of your music library? (In gigabytes) It was 10gb

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? (In albums i.e. 15) don't know like 15-20, I listen to a lot of cd's from my father so...

b) Do you predominantly buy your music, and if so, what platform do you buy your music on? (CD, Downloads) CD, sometimes a friend sents me his new cd though.

If you pirate music, why do you? I have not enough money

If you buy your music, why do you? because I want the whole concept of the album

If you do both, why do you? cheap

If cd's weren't so expensive, I wouldn't pirate. So it is their own fault.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
How old are you?

America

27GB, which is about 4000 songs. But that's because my Ipod is full. Once I get a new Ipod next month, the number will increase by a lot.

Physical copies? Maybe like 10

I use a site called MP3va.com. It's 15 cents a song and it's legal. This way I'm still paying for my music, but it's not exactly breaking my bank.

A couple of reasons.
1. There's always the thought in the back of my head about being caught
2. Quality
3. I like to see musicians get paid

I think that although most musicians don't exactly need any more money, anything that they create should be respected. If somebody spends time to make something, I believe that they deserve to get rewarded for it.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
How old are you?

Where do you live?
USA

What is the approximate size of your music library?
20 gigs

What is the approximate size of your CD collection?
ehh like 30 cds i think

i torrent a CD before i buy because im a poor college kid.

i think its has good and bad because, a) on the good side it raises awareness for the band and gets their name out to people, and b) its bad because, your obviously stealing from the band, which is wrong for more than a couple reasons.
Last edited by -tempest- at Oct 16, 2009,
How old are you?
America (New England)

torrents if i'm downloading, records if i'm purchasing

sample an album i may want to buy
I think it only partially effects the industry. case in point Radiohead's chart topping, pay if you want to, album In Rainbows. Sure there is bound to be some money lost in record sales, but people still buy CDs and records.
How old are you?

America

15. I would have more, but I'm stuck with an 80GB harddrive that's full to the brim. :\

Do you both pirate and download your music, and if so, what platforms?
I buy albums from a local store, or torrent them if I am pirating music.

I pirate because I'm usually strapped for cash (which really isn't a valid excuse, but I still do it), and know a lot of bands don't need the very small profit margin they get from albums. I buy albums from smaller bands that need their record label to know that they will sell.

It does affect the music industry to an extent, as certain bands will be let off from their record label if they don't sell well, but a majority of fans can, and will, buy tickets to a show, buy merchandise, or buy "collectors editions" of albums. The bands will usually do fine, the only one really hurting from piracy are the record labels themselves.
How old are you? 18

Where do you live? UK

What is the approximate size of your music library? 260GB

What is the approximate size of your CD collection? 50

a) Do you predominantly priate music, and if so, how? SWIM uses torrents

If you pirate music, why do you? SWIM is a music student, and can't afford to buy all the music he needs to study

Finally, what is your overall opinion on music Piracy and your views on how it affects the music industry. "The music industry" is largely composed of people who aren't musicians and aren't fans of the music they work with. File-sharing music is the best way to get the industry to change and cut out all the superfluous and detrimental people in suits whose jobs exist from a time when you actually needed help to make an album or tour.
How old are you?
USA
29 gb
4?

a) Do you predominantly priate music, and if so, how? (P2P, Torrents, friends, bootlegs, etc) torrents

I'm poor and can't afford to buy music.

It hurts the label more than it does the artist. I feel like a bad person for downloading but I honestly can't buy music and since it's something I really love (hence I'm on this website) I would go crazy without it.
How old are you?

Belgium
30-40

Rapidshare/megaupload links from some site.Sometimes i rent a cd from the library for €0.50 and copy it.
Faster, most music I like can't be found in small record shops.I hate Itunes because if i'm gonna pay for music I want the cd case and booklet and stuff to hold.

I think it affects the music industry in a bad way but bands like the doors ,nirvana and the beatles already have made quite a lot of money and they can't be found in record shops(well the remastered beatles can and I think I will buy some of them) .If there is some new band that is worth getting their CD then I would buy it to support them but almost none of the bands today are good enough.
How old are you?

Finland

around 10Gb

about 30

Pirating: Torrents, Buying: Real CD's.

Becouse i can't afford to buy all the music i want

Becouse i want the real thing, and to give the band/artist credit

I try to buy CD's but sometimes i download if i don't have money / don't want to spend money in buying a CD if i don't know it's gonna be good

Well, earlier it could be useful in some cases, as you could listen to bands before buying something you might not like. Nowadays theres Spotify and such so you can pre-listen from there.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
How old are you?

Britain

30gb

I both pirate and buy my music. I pirate with bit-torrent and buy on itunes usually

Because music is over-priced and you never know what you're buying, it's easy and a good way to expand your musical horizons. I wouldn't listen to some of my favourite bands without pirating.

I buy music that I can't find on torrents normally, or local bands (see can't find torrents) because i believe they need the support

see above

I believe that since the big dramas over piracy in the music industry, the music industry itself has had to work harder at writing recording and producing, meaning that better music overall is being made and listened to buy people who might not otherwise bother buying the music. Kids are listening to the music they want to listen to rather than what radios and charts tell them to more than ever, giving a surge to less mainstream artists. It's also forced bands to tour and play shows more than they may have otherwise, bringing a massive surge into the live shows industry, including festivals. The only people negatively affected by music pirating are the people who used to make the most money out of it, suits behind desks who couldn't give a toss about what music is just being made, just how many zeros are on the end of their paycheck. As a result more bands are looking to independently release music, and succeed through intensive touring. While this might be more difficult for bands i genuinely believe in the long run that it will produce better music as a whole for the people who care about music.
How old are you?
U.S.
8.21 Gigs
CD's I actually own? Probably 10, but digitally I have many, many albums.

I use torrents and when I buy I download from iTunes.

Honestly, for the rate of how much music I want, I couldn't afford $20. Yeah it's not a lot, but it adds up.
Piracy really messes it up obviously. I honestly wouldn't mind living in a world free of digitally distributed music, but we passed the CD and tape era. I also don't pity the music industry to much, from what I understand, a very small percentage of the money made on selling music goes to the artist. All in all, piracy will get worse, I will continue to go back and forth from the legal and illegal, and if the music industry wants to get back on their feet, they're going to need to perform some type of miracle.
LARGE TEXT
How old are you?

Britain. England.

5.15 gb (not everything is on itunes though, so I'm not sure.)

100 CD albums and maybe 10 vinyll records which I have taken from my parents.

b) Do you predominantly buy your music, and if so, what platform do you buy your music on?

I buy CD's, but I do occasionally send one or two tracks down msn or borrow an album off a friend.

I prefer physically owning the album. I also hardly ever listen to my iPod, and don't like listening to music at a computer.

It is bad on account of being theft, but it's overall effect probably isn't that huge. The only issues I see is if people completely abandon physical releases, because then I won't be able to buy them, and unknown indie bands not getting a chance to grow in "goodness", and just being dropped.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Last edited by Hereiwas at Oct 16, 2009,
Page 1 of 4