Do u need to have a head to work a cabinet? Is it possible to link a laptop to a cab and just use the cab as a massive speaker?
(This is probably the ultimate stupid question ever and I apologise to the pit for wrong forum section)
No you don't need a head. But cabinets are designed for guitars. The speakers won't sound very good with a full mix since they weren't designed for those frequencies.
Your laptop isn't going to be putting out enough power to drive the speakers. You could use a power amp if you wanted to do that job, but ideally, you'd drive something like your laptop's sound with something a little more hifi than a guitar setup. Cabinets are part of a guitarists tone and have known drawbacks and losses compared to say a hifi speaker setup.
Quote by maggot9779
No you don't need a head. But cabinets are designed for guitars. The speakers won't sound very good with a full mix since they weren't designed for those frequencies.

You need an amp, you can't just use the speaker. But you could use a PA power amp rather than a guitar head.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
The power from a laptop's output is nowhere near enough to drive a cab, you need an amplifier of some description, be it a head, PA, hifi amp, etc.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.