Today I started practicing with a metronome,I can play all open chords cleanly now,so i want to add some speed.

Is there a certain bpm I should aim for when switching between chords(f.e. strum A chord and next strum D chord),before moving to a next chord combination?
180 bpm, all 8th notes. :P

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

It's all by ear, man. Start out at a speed and see how easily you can cope with that. If it's too fast, take it back a few notches, too slow, then turn it up. Whatever happens, you need to be able to comfortably play at the bpm you've chosen before moving to the next speed.
"I didn't know there were ninjas in Japan, did you?"

"Ninjas aren't dangerous. They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

Beating Hearts Baby
It's not a matter of bpm - same as anything, work towards your goals. Playing a Green Day song isn't as challenging for chord changes as a Tommy Emmanuel one. Get hold of a few songs you like, play through them - if you can't make the changes, do some practice. Repeat!
Try playing NOFX songs(Idiots are taking over, Bob, Dinasours will never die). They're pretty challenging. Also some Bad Religion songs(Anesthethia, Infected, Sorrow), Rancid(Fall back down), Acro-Brats(Callout), Jimmy Eat World(Pain)
Quote by Freepower
It's not a matter of bpm - same as anything, work towards your goals. Playing a Green Day song isn't as challenging for chord changes as a Tommy Emmanuel one. Get hold of a few songs you like, play through them - if you can't make the changes, do some practice. Repeat!

Yes it's absolutely true what you say,also I don't want to be a super fast shredder or something.
Problem is I am learning all this stuff with an ebook I downloaded,but they don't really tell you how much BPM you should aim for,so I am just practicing technique but no speed.
My goal is to practice those first and then move on to songs,without having to practice those chords(/speed) again to learn that particular song.
Quote by Dark_Knight94
Try playing NOFX songs(Idiots are taking over, Bob, Dinasours will never die). They're pretty challenging. Also some Bad Religion songs(Anesthethia, Infected, Sorrow), Rancid(Fall back down), Acro-Brats(Callout), Jimmy Eat World(Pain)

I love Pain!Solo is so awsome
try setting your metronome to 120 bpm, then strum each chord as quarter notes. then just move up from there. if thats too hard, try 100 bpm.
Quote by foofightin3
try setting your metronome to 120 bpm, then strum each chord as quarter notes. then just move up from there. if thats too hard, try 100 bpm.

So do I have to strum 4times between each beat?(sorry only been playing for 3months)

I tried 100BPM but strumming on each 'click' and that was not so difficult.
Take two chords like G and D at 100 bpm and go:
strum (G), rest, strum (D), rest, etc

Use that beat of rest to move your fingers. Once you get fast enough, take the rest out. Do this for whatever chord progressions you need to work on.