First Tube Amp

So I've just sold my last amplifier: Vox AD50VT-XL (realising that I have no need or interest in owning a high gain amplifier) and am currently looking at buying a new one. I want this new amplifier to be fully tube, and as I have never owned a tube amplifier, I need some help picking one out.

I'll be using this amplifier primarily for bedroom practice, and possibly jamming round a friend's house, so nothing too loud, or too large (a headphone jack would be perfect), but I do not want another modeling or transistor amplifier, so please don't suggest one.

My budget is around £300-400 ($480-650) and my current guitar is a Fender 2009 Mexican Standard Telecaster. I'm after a medium distortion rock sound, sorta like Johnny Greenwood's tone, nothing to heavy, I won't be playing any metal on this, and I'm open to using a distortion pedal if needed.

Some amps I've been looking at: Fender Blues Junior (£369), Marshall Class 5 (£297), Fender Pro Junior (£279)

Thanks for any suggestions and I'll be happy to answer any questions which help you, help me
Which band is Johnny Greenwood in? His name doesn't ring a bell and I can't be bothered using Google

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
You wont get a headphone out on a tube amp...not one that defeats the speaker anyway...the peavey valve king is a nice amp...got a little switch on the back that lets you lower the overall power...think there around ur budget.
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC4TV
Laney VC15
Laney LC15
Blackstar HT-5
Fender Pro Junior
Orange AD-5

The VK112 is much too loud for the OP's wants/needs, and won't sound great without a few upgrades.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'll have to second the valve king...it really is a great amp and I've always felt it's underrated.
blackheart handsome devil
fender blues junior
vox ac15
egnater rebel 20

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

i dont know about in the uk, but over here you can get a used peavey classic 30 for like 300 bucks. also, maybe check out a used ac15, or ive heard you can get cheaper laneys over there too.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I'll third the Valve King... just bought one myself and I'm impressed with how versatile it is.
[
Hey, thanks for all the responses. Johnny Greenwood is in Radiohead btw, probably should of put that in the original post, but ah well. The marshall class 5 has a headphone jack which is one of the reasons I was considering it, but I've also been told it's just too loud for home practice. I've probably couldn't get a 2nd hand Vox AC30 where I live, in fact, where I live, I'd find it very hard to try and test out many of these amplifiers which is one of the reasons I need advice from people who have played them. I've had a look at the valvleking before it's just too big for my room. The Vox AC4TV is an interesting idea though...
HT5 has headphone out as well
Ibanez RG1570 (06) LTD Truckster (07) Fender USA Standard Strat (97) Blackstar HT5s ,TC Polytune, SHO Clone, Russian Muff pi, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy, Marshall Reflector, MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Alex Thomas
The marshall class 5 has a headphone jack which is one of the reasons I was considering it, but I've also been told it's just too loud for home practice.

You're not going to be able to crank any tube amp, no matter its wattage, in your bedroom.

If it has a headphone jack, then the volume issue should be moot.

The VK is an idea if you're interested in upgrading it over the years but as you said it's too big, and is louder than a violent spouse.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by Alex Thomas
...where I live, I'd find it very hard to try and test out many of these amplifiers...

Ahhh.... IoM.... I understand now. VK is probably too loud for the entire island....

lol
[
I'd recommend the Blackstar HT-5 or the Vox AC4TV.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Skuzzmo
Ahhh.... IoM.... I understand now. VK is probably too loud for the entire island....

lol

Very true, I'd love to be able to play many of these amps before I buy, but I can't because we only have one guitar shop over here! lol
What does everyone think of the Fender Blues Junior btw? It was the amp I was originally considering, but I've heard lots of positive and negative things about it. I've been having a look at the Vox AC4TV though, and it looks like it would fit my situation quite well
As Greenwood uses a Vox AC30 (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) I'll recommend the Vox AC4. When cranked, even at 1/4 watts, it sounds great but is still generally too loud to crank all the time. With it's price and your budget you could get a nice OD/distortion pedal for it though.
The only problem with the AC4 is your won't have the clean headroom that the AC30 has at performance levels. But since you're mainly looking for a bedroom amp...this is a great suggestion imo.
Both the Blues Jr and the Pro Jr will be loud. You're not going to get much tube tone out of them in your bedroom w/o pissing off everyone in the house. Plus they have no headphone out. The HT-5 violates your "no transistor" rule, but I question that that's really important considering your not going to get much tone out of the Fenders amps in your bedroom without putting transistors between them and your guitar.
Quote by fly135
Both the Blues Jr and the Pro Jr will be loud. You're not going to get much tube tone out of them in your bedroom w/o pissing off everyone in the house. Plus they have no headphone out. The HT-5 violates your "no transistor" rule, but I question that that's really important considering your not going to get much tone out of the Fenders amps in your bedroom without putting transistors between them and your guitar.

Yeah, I see what you mean about the fenders, that was something I was worried about initially anyway. I have had a look at the blackstar as well, and it seems like a good amp, but I thought it was "all tube" anyway? Or I am missing something?
The Blackstar HT-5 is basically a transistor distortion pedal in front of a 5 watt tube amp in one box. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Somebody else posted a schematic of it and the gain channel is an op amp with diode clipping. My favorite amp I own is the Super Champ XD which uses a DSP front end with a 15 watt tube poser amp. It sounds great at low volumes, can cover both Fender and Marshall tones, and sounds nothing like a DSP multifx.

I have an Ampeg J-20 all tube amp with a pedalboard and I still prefer turning on the SCXD most of the time.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 16, 2009,
The Laney VC30/VC15 has voxish sound for cheaper.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
A blues jr doesn't need to be cranked to get tube tone.
It does need to be turned up to get some overdrive.

I would try the blues jr and ac15 with your guitar.
Quote by fly135
The Blackstar HT-5 is basically a transistor distortion pedal in front of a 5 watt tube amp in one box. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Somebody else posted a schematic of it and the gain channel is an op amp with diode clipping. My favorite amp I own is the Super Champ XD which uses a DSP front end with a 15 watt tube poser amp. It sounds great at low volumes, can cover both Fender and Marshall tones, and sounds nothing like a DSP multifx.

I have an Ampeg J-20 all tube amp with a pedalboard and I still prefer turning on the SCXD most of the time.

The preamp does come from a pedal, yes.

The pedal has valves in it, so the preamp in HT-5 does.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
The preamp does come from a pedal, yes.

The pedal has valves in it, so the preamp in HT-5 does.
Yes I know the HT-5 has a tube in the preamp. The point I was making is that the gain sounds come from an op amp and diodes.

I have no idea why the Blackstar pedal has tubes. And I doubt anyone knows if the Blackstar pedal and amp have anything in common unless a schematic is available. Which leads me to ask how you know the preamp comes from a pedal?

Quote by KBaird
A blues jr doesn't need to be cranked to get tube tone.
It does need to be turned up to get some overdrive.
Given that the Blues Jr is an all tube amp I guess you could say that by definition anything that comes out of it is "tube tone". That's not really what I meant. I was referring to the characteristic tube tone you get by driving the tube preamp and power amp harder. You pretty much have to crank the Blues/Pro Jr to get that. I haven't used a Blues Jr but given it has a Fat switch and both volume/master volume you might be able to achieve that a low volumes. I have a Pro Jr and it lacks those extra controls.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 16, 2009,
First of all I would like to say, the Peavey Valveking is a no no!!! Simple as, its too much for too little. Personally I would go with the Blues Junior purely because of the versatility, but the Class 5 is a Marshall :/ it all depends how thick you want your sound. AThe Class 5 will have a thicker sound than the Blues Junior due to it being a Marshall :/ hope Ive helped a bit
Fender Vibro Champ.

I like the Hotrod series, and they have great tone. The Vibrochamp gets many sounds, though. I used it as a head for months.