Sooooooo I'm 16 and just got an ibanez rg7321, and for christmas I may be getting new pups...but I can't decide between the Ibanez, or my LTD EC-50. I mean they both have crappy pickups, but is the ibanez 7321 worth changing pups? I keep hearing people say "it's a beginner's guitar" or "it's crap" but considering most GOOD 7 strings are quite expensive(except schecters, but they have huge necks) and it's hard to find 7 strings without EMG's(i like passive pups better).

Sooooooo yeah, is the ibanez worth changing the pups, or should I just save up for a whole new 7 string guitar? And if it is worth it, what pups should I get? I'd like to get a dimarzio in the neck(because i love their tonal variety and because my favorite band uses them, but there's like 20 different dimarzios so idk which to get) and then I'd like another passive pup in the bridge for more....extreme metal type stuff(like death metal, meshuggah, Pantera, etc.) soooo yeah...

if anyone could help that'd be amazing
you need to be looking at dimarzio and seymour duncan i don`t know if bareknucke do 7 string pups, if you are overall happy with the guitar and just wanna change the pups then do it, i wouldn`t buy a whole new guitar just for pickups though...

what do you feel the pickup are doing thats letting you down....

mr flibble is the pickup guru on here btw
what amp are you using? a pickup swap won't matter much if you're playing through a subpar amp.
Quote by eyebanez333
what amp are you using? a pickup swap won't matter much if you're playing through a subpar amp.

It's a crate combo amp. It has a nice sound and it doesn't get overdriven unless it's turned up to like 7 or 8, but it's only 25 watts i believe so it's not that loud.
Quote by Nirvana00125
It's a crate combo amp. It has a nice sound and it doesn't get overdriven unless it's turned up to like 7 or 8, but it's only 25 watts i believe so it's not that loud.

I would get a new amp before you worry about pickups because honestly a pickup swap is going to be barely noticable, if any at all, going through that amp.

But some suggestions from me: Dimarzio D Activator, Air Norton, or Seymour Duncan JB. I would stay away from EMGs unless you get a new amp...they might actually sound worse on a SS amp.
Quote by eyebanez333
I would get a new amp before you worry about pickups because honestly a pickup swap is going to be barely noticable, if any at all, going through that amp.

But some suggestions from me: Dimarzio D Activator, Air Norton, or Seymour Duncan JB. I would stay away from EMGs unless you get a new amp...they might actually sound worse on a SS amp.

This is a falshood that I wish people would stop spreading. Actives on good quality SS amps sound fine.

Actives on bad/cheap SS amps sound bad. But then again, so does everything.

But yes, I would look at a new amp before you get new pickups.

My Ibanez GAX70 sounds pretty damn good to me with stock pickups on my Vypyr.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Nirvana00125
crate combo amp.

likely equals

Quote by Mitochondria9

bad/cheap SS amp

Quote by eyebanez333
likely equals

[Edit: whoops, totally misread that]

Yeah. I dunno much about crate amps, but I hear the combo amps arent that great.

I would definitely look at getting a new amp for christmas rather than pickups, you wont notice the tone unless youve got a better amp.

You can get a Vypyr 30 for the price your parents wouldve paid for the two pickups and installation.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Oct 16, 2009,
C. C. Deville used a SS crate amp. But Crate makes some tube combos, let's not jump to conclusions before we actually know what amp the TS has.
Quote by JELIFISH19
C. C. Deville used a SS crate amp. But Crate makes some tube combos, let's not jump to conclusions before we actually know what amp the TS has.

I didnt find any 25 watt tube combos, and the only 25 watt amp I found period was a combo bass amp.

So yeah, some information would be great.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I own this guitar, yes they are worth changing. They're awful, no sustain, no high end. Ibanez guitars around this price range seem to always have the worst pickups.
Quote by JELIFISH19

I don't think Crate makes a 25watt amp...could be wrong...
Quote by Nirvana00125

I didn't find a 25 watt crate amp. But 25 watts (ss or tube) is pretty loud. You said that it doesn't get overdriven unless it's turned up to 7 or 8. Sounds like characteristics of a low powered tube amp like a Crate V5.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I didn't find a 25 watt crate amp. But 25 watts (ss or tube) is pretty loud. You said that it doesn't get overdriven unless it's turned up to 7 or 8. Sounds like characteristics of a low powered tube amp like a Crate V5.

In which case new amp > new pickups.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212