This is my first post in the forums so hello everyone! I hope I can help where it's possible and people can help me. Anyway, I was thinking of upping up from my customized Squier HSS strat and two guitars I had my eye on these two guitars from ESP/LTD:
ALEXI-600:
Grover Tuners
Floyd Rose 1000 Series
EMG HZ F-H2

KH-602:
ESP Tuners
Floyd Rose 1000 Series
EMG 81 & 60

I mostly play metal as in Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Diamond Head, Black Sabbath, Dio. I also occasionally play blues and classic rock.
Thanks in advance everyone
Neither. Those guitars are both overpriced because they're signature guitars.

Are you sure active pickups are right for you if you're going to be playing blues and classic rock? Sure, actives can do those sounds. However, a passive IMO would do it better.

If you're going ESP, look into the MH series, the EC series, etc. With that kind of budget (I'm guessing around $1000?) you could find much better guitars.

I would suggest something like a Jackson or Ibanez though if you want to play classic rock or blues.

EDIT: What amp are you playing by the way?
Yes. Signature guitar's aren't worth their price usually. The cheapest Alexi LTD costed almost as much as my LTD V-500.

EMGs 81 and 60s are great pick-ups and I can highly recommend them basing on your music taste.
If you're only interested in those two, I'd definietly say the KH because it's much more versatile than the Alexi. But I do agree with the other two posters, you can get better guitars for the money.
amp?
budget?
can you go used?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Well I'm not entirely sure what my budget is..I live in China and my budget is around 9000 RMB so around 1,300 dollars, give or take depending on the day. and I've seen the MH and EC and I don't like their look as much as the Alexi or the KH. I'm primarily looking for a guitar that will sound good live and look good live. I've also been looking into Dean MLs and Jackson RR's.Also to Carrot's post. I have a small Marshall 15W that I use at home but at my school there's a Marshall JCM-800, a Fender Super-Sonic stack that are used during shows. And I could go used, I don't mind that much.
1300 dollars?

go with an Ibanez or an RR5
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
1300 dollars?

go with an Ibanez or an RR5

This would be a much better choice.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by thrasher.
What is your amp you'll be running this through?

Read the thread.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
Read the thread.

Marshall 15 watt? I saw that. I just wanted to see if it was an MG.
I know he'll be playing at home alot obviously, and it'd be a better investment to get a better amp because you can't always go to school to practice.
If so, I'd spend some cash on a new amp, and a lesser amount on the guitar.
Last edited by thrasher. at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by thrasher.
Marshall 15 watt? I saw that. I just wanted to see if it was an MG.
I know he'll be playing at home alot obviously, and it'd be a better investment to get a better amp because you can't always go to school to practice.
If so, I'd spend some cash on a new amp, and a lesser amount on the guitar.

Yes I am using an MG and perhaps you're right. I should invest more money into a better amp than a guitar. Any good combos that could be suggested?
Quote by saintfuneral
Yes I am using an MG and perhaps you're right. I should invest more money into a better amp than a guitar. Any good combos that could be suggested?

Maybe you'd want to A/B your budget, like $700 and $600. Look for a nice guitar on sale or on Craigslist, and look on craigslist for an amp. You could get something like a Mark III, it can do the br007z and the cleans perfectly.
Well, Craigslist is a bit out of it for me. Living in China and all but I was looking at Chinese equivalent off eBay and I saw the Marshall VS200 and the Jackson RR3. Both are used but look to be reasonable condition. Any comments?
Quote by saintfuneral
Well, Craigslist is a bit out of it for me. Living in China and all but I was looking at Chinese equivalent off eBay and I saw the Marshall VS200 and the Jackson RR3. Both are used but look to be reasonable condition. Any comments?

Oh, well then Craigslist won't work. I don't think the VS is much of a step up from the MG. How are the prices over there?
Since you live in China, why not a Bugera 333xl combo? They are made there right?

Also, I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on a Schecter C-1. They look and sound pretty damn good for the price they can be had at. Of course, that all depends on the local price though.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
Since you live in China, why not a Bugera 333xl combo? They are made there right?

Also, I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on a Schecter C-1. They look and sound pretty damn good for the price they can be had at. Of course, that all depends on the local price though.

I should be able to get my hands on a Bugera reasonably easy. I'll check some of the guitar stores in Beijing but on the note of the Schecter C-1, I like the look of it and all but I'm really looking for a guitar with a Floyd Rose/FR-styled tremolo, mainly because in the stuff I write myself I do a lot of dives and my Strat just doesn't stay in tune.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Neither. Those guitars are both overpriced because they're signature guitars.

Are you sure active pickups are right for you if you're going to be playing blues and classic rock? Sure, actives can do those sounds. However, a passive IMO would do it better.

If you're going ESP, look into the MH series, the EC series, etc. With that kind of budget (I'm guessing around $1000?) you could find much better guitars.

I would suggest something like a Jackson or Ibanez though if you want to play classic rock or blues.

EDIT: What amp are you playing by the way?

Both Jackson and Ibanez are not suitable for those genres. I mean LTD's, Jacksons, and Ibanez can do them for sure with the right pups, but they're all the same.

And the Alexi, even though it's a ripoff
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Both Jackson and Ibanez are not suitable for those genres. I mean LTD's, Jacksons, and Ibanez can do them for sure with the right pups, but they're all the same.

And the Alexi, even though it's a ripoff

The alexi is not as Versatile as an HH IBanez or Jackson.

and with the bands he's playing he needs versatility
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Actually that Schecter that Rhoads_1096 mentioned looks alright. I think I'll look into that one.
I have played a KH602 and a few high end Ibanez RG's, and IMO (don't go mental, please?)...
IMO it was pretrty good compared the the ibanez's. I have kinda small hands cos for 17 im only 5'5, but the neck was pretty nice, unlike the RG's.
The EMG's are second to none for metal too, and despite the stereotype, they can handle other sounds too ( I know, right?!!), albeit with a little more oomph.

However a friend has owned a low end RG 350dx for years now and in years gone by my experience with it hasn't been bad. So IMO try out the KH and an RG for definate.
Happy Hunting!
Proud Bugera User

Quote by Melodic_Rocker
Cameron's movies have the creativity and quality of a potato with chlamydia.

Quote by Absent Mind
Lady GaGa is rare but would you pay money for her?

-MD Les Paul
-Bugera 6262
-Laney 2x12
Quote by ZzakK
I have played a KH602 and a few high end Ibanez RG's, and IMO (don't go mental, please?)...
IMO it was pretrty good compared the the ibanez's. I have kinda small hands cos for 17 im only 5'5, but the neck was pretty nice, unlike the RG's.
The EMG's are second to none for metal too, and despite the stereotype, they can handle other sounds too ( I know, right?!!), albeit with a little more oomph.

However a friend has owned a low end RG 350dx for years now and in years gone by my experience with it hasn't been bad. So IMO try out the KH and an RG for definate.
Happy Hunting!

WHY DID YOU BUMP THIS THREAD!!!
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
WHY DID YOU BUMP THIS THREAD!!!

I was just saying that despite people slating the over-priced tag on the KH it isn't a BAD guitar (though i guess its a personal preference) and that he should try things out and go with what he likes, not what people say is best so silence thy tongue.

And yes, the KH and M are more or less the same.
Proud Bugera User

Quote by Melodic_Rocker

Quote by Absent Mind

-MD Les Paul
-Bugera 6262
-Laney 2x12
Quote by ZzakK

I was just saying that despite people slating the over-priced tag on the KH it isn't a BAD guitar (though i guess its a personal preference) and that he should try things out and go with what he likes, not what people say is best so silence thy tongue.

And yes, the KH and M are more or less the same.

you don't bump 2 month old threads
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I don't pay attention to dates.

Time is a swirly mass of confusion for me

Proud Bugera User

Quote by Melodic_Rocker

Quote by Absent Mind

-MD Les Paul
-Bugera 6262
-Laney 2x12