I have been extremely lucky in selling much of the crappy gear that I bought last year at a minimal loss. I now have an Egnater Rebel 30 tube amp, an Ibanez EW50MPSENT acoustic guitar, and some pedals. I'd like to buy a new electric guitar now, and I'd like this one to last me a few years before I need to upgrade again. I play rock, metal, and cleans are important to me. I don't play heavy metal. Think Pink Floyd/Van Halen/Iron Maiden/Metallica as the range of tones I want. My budget is $700, and I'd be willing to stretch a little bit if there's a really good guitar/deal out there.

In terms of features, I like thin necks, passive pickups, lots of pickup combos possible, and relatively light guitars. I don't care whether it has a trem or fixed bridge, but whatever it is, the hardware MUST be good quality. I'd also like the guitar to come with a case, but this is not a must. Finally, a piezo system would also be nice, but once again, not essential.

I already have a few guitars in mind, not in any particular order. The first is a Godin Freeway SA. I love the features on this guitar, and my guitar teacher is obsessed with Godins, but I don't like the vintage trem. Also, it's hard to find one to try out. Thoughts?

I have found a few deals on guitars as well. The first is an Ibanez RG1570 that is brand new with a factory blem for $625 w/ case. I love the feel of Ibby Prestiges, and the pickup combo, but I don't like the fact that this has no pickguard. I don't know why, I just prefer a pickguard. Next, I can get an Ibanez S2170SE used for about $750 with a case. This is stretching my budget, and the guitar is missing one of the locking nut pads and the trem arm. Although these are easily replaced, and I love everything else about the guitar, I'm skeptical about its condition. Since it's got a 45 day guarantee, do you think it's worth a try? Finally, I can get a Parker Nitefly A for about $750. I'm not sure whether it includes a case, but if so, I know that's an insane deal. It's in excellent condition as well. However, I don't know how well the Parker trems stay in tune. Any experience with them?

Thanks for any help, and I promise this is the last thread!
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by WinterEagle5
Try a fender jag / mustang(thats is H/S) I like them

I'm not a fan of those. The trem isn't stable at all, and the fingerboard radius is way too curved. Thanks for suggesting though.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Outside of Fenders and Les Pauls, you'll be very hard pressed to find a guitar with a pick guard, I dont think pick guards are that necessary, but hey, its my opinion.

As for choice, go with the 1570, its probably the best out of the 3 IMO.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
@JELIFISH19: Thanks for the advice. I didn't really use the 24 frets on my last RG, but I can see how it would be useful, especially if/when I get into more technical stuff. I just really love the top on the S. It's an ebony burl. If my parents throw in some extra cash for a birthday present, I might just pick up the S or the Parker (if it comes with a case).

@Mitochondria9: The pickguard isn't really essential, but it's just kinda nice looking IMO. Not really a functional preference, just cosmetic. I really want to try out a Nitefly though, but I know I love Ibanez necks. Thanks for your input.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
You don't need to use the 24th fret to get the benefits of it. You get unhindered access to frets 22 and below. They're both great guitars. The Parker is great too, even if it doesn't come with a case. But if you really love Ibanez necks, stick with Ibanez. Nothing will feel quite as good. The RG has a Wizard Prestige and I think the S has a Wizard II Prestige. The RG's neck is thinner. With those three choices, you'll end up with a good guitar no matter what you choose, just try them out. They're all pretty different from each other.
Quote by ibz_bucket
@JELIFISH19: Thanks for the advice. I didn't really use the 24 frets on my last RG, but I can see how it would be useful, especially if/when I get into more technical stuff. I just really love the top on the S. It's an ebony burl. If my parents throw in some extra cash for a birthday present, I might just pick up the S or the Parker (if it comes with a case).

@Mitochondria9: The pickguard isn't really essential, but it's just kinda nice looking IMO. Not really a functional preference, just cosmetic. I really want to try out a Nitefly though, but I know I love Ibanez necks. Thanks for your input.

Yeah, the Wizard necks are something Im kind of stuck on. I love my LTD, but the neck on my RGT is just smooth as heck.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by JELIFISH19
You don't need to use the 24th fret to get the benefits of it. You get unhindered access to frets 22 and below. They're both great guitars. The Parker is great too, even if it doesn't come with a case. But if you really love Ibanez necks, stick with Ibanez. Nothing will feel quite as good. The RG has a Wizard Prestige and I think the S has a Wizard II Prestige. The RG's neck is thinner. With those three choices, you'll end up with a good guitar no matter what you choose, just try them out. They're all pretty different from each other.

You bring up a good point about the 24 frets. I just really love the finish on the S, it's the coolest thing I've ever seen. Ebony burl. I don't think I'm gonna go with the Parker any more unless I can talk the guy down to the same price as the 1570 or so. The way it seems right now, is if my parents are willing to throw in a little money for my birthday, then I'll get the S, otherwise, I'll get the RG. The neck doesn't need to be too thin, as I've played both and feel that both are very comfortable. I don't have really small hands or anything either, so I really like the S.

Quote by Mitochondria9
Yeah, the Wizard necks are something Im kind of stuck on. I love my LTD, but the neck on my RGT is just smooth as heck.

I agree. Simply put, nothing plays like an Ibanez that I've ever experienced.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Last edited by ibz_bucket at Oct 16, 2009,
http://www.themusicfarm.com/product_info.php?products_id=8844

http://www.themusicfarm.com/product_info.php?products_id=8847

unlike dean guitars, the new dbz's r great deals look cool and appear to all come with decent hardware, id recommend the first one if ur going to do classic rock as much as heavy metal, the second if more metal than classic rock anyways hope u find ur guitar