How much do you think using your pinky finger as leverage with your picking hand affects your playing? I know its bad technique but does it really matter that much?

What i mean is when im playing riffs/single notes i push my pinky against my guitar just under the strings and i feel like it gives me leverage so i can steady my hand...part of the may be because i have extremely shaky hands.
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
It will definately affect your playing in a negative way. The biggest issue is that it cuts down on your picking hand's freedom of motion - most noticeably on things like descending 2 note per string runs, where your picking hand needs to be free to move from string to string and keep itself centered around the string being played.

Longer term, it's not too good for your tendons, so there could be problems there too.

I would work on gradually weaning yourself off that technique.
Quote by se012101
It will definately affect your playing in a negative way. The biggest issue is that it cuts down on your picking hand's freedom of motion - most noticeably on things like descending 2 note per string runs, where your picking hand needs to be free to move from string to string and keep itself centered around the string being played.

Longer term, it's not too good for your tendons, so there could be problems there too.

I would work on gradually weaning yourself off that technique.

i disagree iv been playin for like five and a half years and have always used my pinky for leverage and have no problem with pick hand mobility, as long as you can move it around and take it off the guitar when needed i dont think it would be that much of a problem.
Quote by Jman09
i disagree iv been playin for like five and a half years and have always used my pinky for leverage and have no problem with pick hand mobility, as long as you can move it around and take it off the guitar when needed i dont think it would be that much of a problem.

Anchoring is bad. Plain and simple. Ask anyone on UG and you will most likely get the same answer. If you want to take the risks, go ahead. I'd rather be in control of my picking hand.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Lets not get into a big anchoring debate - the mods usually close those threads since it's been done to death. I can only speak from experience (17.5 yrs) when I say that limiting anchoring has helped me. I do allow my pinky to touch the body of the guitar, but I never press down for leverage.
If you look at the players who play well but anchor, they do exactly what you do - anchor, but they have the skill of unanchoring whenever they need more mobility (for example, watch Jason Becker performing Paginini's 5th before he got sick - there's a point towards the end when he anchors with two fingers, but he always unanchors when he needs to). But to me that's kind of like having a problem, and getting good at a workaround, instead of solving the problem. Not to knock Jason Becker - the guy was a god.
Regarding tendonitis - if you're going to develop it from anchoring it's very unlikely you'd see it after only playing for 5 1/2 years, unless you're literally going at it 6 hrs a day consistently. That's something you'd be more likely to see after 10 or 15 years.
It depends on what I'm playing. I'll usually anchor my pinky and ring finger on a pick up or on the body of the guitar if I'm playing in a style that will require a lot of palm muting and fast single note picking. But I only do that to keep my hand steady and in position for quick palm muting. I don't press down hard or anything. I've never felt it hurt my mobility. I just hate the feeling of my picking hand just floating over the strings. I need that anchor for at least a reference point so I don't need to look at the strings.
Quote by se012101
Lets not get into a big anchoring debate - the mods usually close those threads since it's been done to death. I can only speak from experience (17.5 yrs) when I say that limiting anchoring has helped me. I do allow my pinky to touch the body of the guitar, but I never press down for leverage.
If you look at the players who play well but anchor, they do exactly what you do - anchor, but they have the skill of unanchoring whenever they need more mobility (for example, watch Jason Becker performing Paginini's 5th before he got sick - there's a point towards the end when he anchors with two fingers, but he always unanchors when he needs to). But to me that's kind of like having a problem, and getting good at a workaround, instead of solving the problem. Not to knock Jason Becker - the guy was a god.
Regarding tendonitis - if you're going to develop it from anchoring it's very unlikely you'd see it after only playing for 5 1/2 years, unless you're literally going at it 6 hrs a day consistently. That's something you'd be more likely to see after 10 or 15 years.

exactly thats why i said that you must be able to move it around for it to be ok! and i dont ever push down with it, it simply lays on the body of the guitar and when i am on lower strings it lightly touches the side of the of the high E but i have NEVER pushed down with it, it just kind of lays there lol. I unanchor when i need to play arpeggios or palm mute i dont have to keep it in the same spot.

I just reread my post and i must admit my mistake, i said i use my pinky finger for "leverage" which i do not, that is my bad sorry to anyone i offended it was a mistake plain and simple.
Last edited by Jman09 at Oct 16, 2009,