Ok my little brother wants to start playing guitar. I dont want him to spend much because after all he may not continue playing or smth so I need something to start with under $300. Ty
What music styles/ genres does your brother like? Do you have an amp? Are you willing to go used? Until we hear this, we really can't help you.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by SkaJon
What music styles/ genres does your brother like? Do you have an amp? Are you willing to go used? Until we hear this, we really can't help you.

he likes metal mostly, he can use my Roland Cube 15x until he saves a bit more so he can buy one for himself
Cheap used guitars of almost any style can be had for $100.

Another $100 into a PRO set-up and intonation, and you'll have a guitar that plays better than most $500 guitars.

Add a $50 pickup and it'll sound better, too...
Well do you know how to do your own set up? Even if not, pay for a good one because that makes a huge difference in starting out, if the guitar plays bad it'll sound bad discouraging the player.
For metal you may want to check out this hard tail beast
http://www.rondomusic.com/spadwhite.html
if you want him to start out on something a bit more classic, go with the agile unless 8-10 pounds is too heavy for him to lug around
http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000tobacco.html
Good luck!

EDIT; For a beginner avoid Termolos at all cost, they'll get into playing with the whammy and not on developing vibrato or they'll fall out of tune a lot.
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Oct 16, 2009,
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone Les Paul

We really need a stickied thread for cheap guitars...
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone Les Paul

agreed! The Pacifica is pretty darn good, I like epis but agiles are better for less dough
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Yamaha Pacifica 112j.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Im between an Epiphone Les Paul Standard & a Dean MLX (will change pickups as I get it)

edit : he really likes this :

Last edited by I am the Devil at Oct 16, 2009,
Yamaha Pacifica.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by darkcheef
How old is your little brother? Does he have small hands?

If so get a Ibanez RG321, cheap, great for beginners, and a good guitar for metal.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

The RG2EX1 is better at the same price. The only difference is the pickups, I prefer the V7 and V8 pickups over the INF pickups.

Or an GRG170DX. I has one... it's pretty tight.
I can attest to the GRG - it sounds adequate even through a ****ty amp. Through a decent amp like the Cube, it's a solid beginner guitar. Fast neck, 24 frets, ok pups, all you really need to do is block the tremolo so it doesn't lose tuning a lot.
I've been pretty happy with my LTD EC-50. I think I paid like $200 for it.
Quote by SlayingDragons
The RG2EX1 is better at the same price. The only difference is the pickups, I prefer the V7 and V8 pickups over the INF pickups.

Or an GRG170DX. I has one... it's pretty tight.

What's the difference between INF and V7/8?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Squier. Get it from a local shop; try it out. They're higher quality these days, though I've never played one that was total crap.
Quote by I am the Devil
What about the Dean Vendetta XM guys?

No, the Ibanez RG321 or the RG with the confusing name mentioned above will do better. That way if he quits, then you have a decent guitar rather than one that is utter sh*t.

How old is he too, this could decide if he needs a short scale or not.
Quote by darkcheef
No, the Ibanez RG321 or the RG with the confusing name mentioned above will do better. That way if he quits, then you have a decent guitar rather than one that is utter sh*t.

How old is he too, this could decide if he needs a short scale or not.

he's 15
Quote by I am the Devil
What about the Dean Vendetta XM guys?

Deans are well made, so sure. Once again, you need to try it first.
[quote="Buck's Student]Deans are well made, so sure. Once again, you need to try it first.
Not all of them, especially the Vendetta XM
Quote by darkcheef
Not all of them, especially the Vendetta XM

Well, not all Gibson Customs are well made, but they still put out many good ones.
Quote by I am the Devil
ok guys we found some gd deals about Ibanez RG120? What do you think?

No, for a beginner a stop bar bridge will be much easier to work.
Quote by falconthefirst
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone Les Paul

+1

And a stickied thread for cheap amps.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

You should be able to find one for $300 as long as you go used. Maybe even less if you get lucky.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by darkcheef
How old is your little brother? Does he have small hands?

If so get a Ibanez RG321, cheap, great for beginners, and a good guitar for metal.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

This is most definitely one of the best starter guitars (under $300) that you can get these days. Get your brother to try one out to see if he likes it.