Alright first of all, just as much as any other guitarist i hate feedback, and second of all i love good tone, sustain, ect.
Heres my problem; every time i've used a noise get it has seemed to, when the level is low, not work, but when i would adjust the settings to different combinations, trying to make use of the pedal, it would cut up my sound, i.e. it didnt just block noise; it blocked some of my notes.
Someone help me, I am an experienced player but this is uncharted territory for me.
Which noise gate do you have? Some are definitely better than others and some are almost unusable.
"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
for a might-have-been has never been, but a has was once an are."

Quote by s2ert
Alright first of all, just as much as any other guitarist i hate feedback, and second of all i love good tone, sustain, ect.
Heres my problem; every time i've used a noise get it has seemed to, when the level is low, not work, but when i would adjust the settings to different combinations, trying to make use of the pedal, it would cut up my sound, i.e. it didnt just block noise; it blocked some of my notes.
Someone help me, I am an experienced player but this is uncharted territory for me.

Noise gates can chop off the sustain etc if they are turned on too high. Have you tried the isp decimator? Its supposed to be a good noise supressor.
Yeah the ISP is a good noise gate/suppressor. Most will cut sustain if you have the threshold set too high though.
Well i was using the rp250 pedal which is an effects processor so im guessing judging by the replies thats probably a factor.
Quote by s2ert
Well i was using the rp250 pedal which is an effects processor so im guessing judging by the replies thats probably a factor.

Yeah, very well could be.

The trick is to set that threshold juuuuuuuuuust where the feedback starts so the gate shuts on it, but a normal picking attack opens the gate up. If this threshold is too high, well, you're gonna lose sustain as a result, so maybe you should think about what's causing so much feedback and work on cutting back on that and not relying on the gate as much.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Only the highest end multi-effects pedals are going to have an even close to usable gate effect. If you want to go about getting a great tone, lose the multi-effect, get a good amp, and begin to buy single effect pedals. I personally think multi-effect pedals are a great way to start off so that you can develop an ear for what sounds good and what effects you like using then buying the individual pedals. Some think the multis are just a waste of money though so meh.
"I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
for a might-have-been has never been, but a has was once an are."