Hey I've been listening to Muse lately, and, considering the amount of influence Chopin had on Bellamy, I decided to learn some classical music on my classical guitar.

It was made for it, right? So if anyone would please suggest any songs I would greatly appreciate it, as there's no such thing in the rec thread.

Thanks.
you should probably learn to read music, if you can't already, since there's not a lot of tab for classical pieces.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Actually, I do believe that Matthew Bellamy of muse was influenced by more composers than Chopin alone, there's also Rachmaninoff and many others...But yes, your classical guitar was made to play classical on. You're all set there.

I'd check out some stuff in the "Acoustic and Classical Master information thread' stickied at the top of the A&C forum, and then look under "classical info" or whatever it is. There's a bunch of really good sites with lots of information for classical guitar.

Also...I believe you're supposed to grow out (and specifically shape) your fingernails on your right hand for classical guitar, in case you were unaware. My mom gives me crap about my nails all the time (although I'm not much of a classical guitarist).
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
It's VI, (6) I was looking it up the other day...I want the music to that one, it seems like a fun one to play.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Last edited by clayonfire at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by zorbozate
punch in classical tabs on u.g theres agreat selection

Tabs are for men who perform fellatio on other men. Sheet is the way to go for classical guitar. Also, the tabs on this site suck: there isn't any rhythm notation for anything.
Only men who "perform fellatio on other men" need rhythm notations after listening to a song a few times.
Quote by ingames
I decided to learn some classical music on my classical guitar.

Well, that's not a bad idea!

On a serious note, as long as you can read sheet music, you can probably play most classical pieces, albeit with bits of improvisation here and there.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by mrmystic
Only men who "perform fellatio on other men" need rhythm notations after listening to a song a few times.

LOL
You can often find free sheet music just by searching 'free guitar sheet music' on google Try adding in specific composers etc. But sheet music is definitely the way to go with classical.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Look up Fernando Sor, specifically his 20 studies for the guitar picked out by Andres Segovia. Also look up Matteo Carcassi and his 25 studies.
Fernando Carulli wrote some simple guitar pieces as well.

I don't care how good someone is at electric guitar. Because no matter what, classical guitar is going to be extremely challenging for them in the beginning stages. So start out with the basic studies that I listed.
If you are going to play a piece, make sure you have the "correct" music and understand how to play it. There are a LOT of wrong classical guitar tabs
I never read plain text tabs. I always download and play from guitar pro.

Sheet music notation is quite hard to tackle, but I'm memorizing the staff notes lately.

Thanks for the advice!
Quote by mrmystic

Only men who "perform fellatio on other men" need to hear a song to be able to play it.

I second what the people said above, it is much easier to find a MUSIC SHEET that is correct than finding a TAB or GUITAR PRO FILE. These are usually made by ear, and can be wrong at times. Reading isn't as hard as it seems, especially for guitars.
Last edited by Victor V. at Oct 18, 2009,
Classical guitar is a whole different world of guitar, first off, learn to read music. There's some good sight reading for classical guitar books, get that and a beginners repertoire to get you started, I used Charles Duncan's books, they have a great selection of music. Classical guitar sheet music is often more informative then tabs as well, as it often shows correct fingering. for good beginners pieces look up etudes by Fernando Sor, Matteo Carcassi, Francisco Tarrega, and Mauro Giuliani. A good beginners piece is Romance, it's a traditional piece, and is pretty easy, and beautiful. If you're gonna pick up classical guitar be prepared for a lot of work, but it is my favorite style of guitar, and well worth all the effort.