Page 1 of 3
Hey all, Tom Colohue here.

I've had a few ideas and brought this up in the past every now and then, but I think now I'm finally at the level of theoretical knowledge required for a venture such at this. I'm hoping people here will be able to guide, help and otherwise be of use in this.

Basically, the idea is to make a video game soundtrack. A lot of the people here have played games in the past, and can attest that they have some of the best and most often underrated music in the world. Dramatic moments demand some absolutely beautiful music, while there are times when real energetic tunes are required to keep people involved in the action. All in all, it has to be incredibly engrossing, while, more often than not, completely unobtrusive.

This all comes from writing music for a situation rather than writing music for the love of it, as you wish and seeing what comes of it. This is why I think that this will be an educational experience for everybody involved.

First, we need a story to develop, which I will edit into this post under suggestions etc. Obviously, we need a lot of instrumental songs, but there's no reason not to have some lyrical involvement as long as people don't feel that it would be getting in the way.

Think of some of your favourite game music. Sounds from games like Streets Of Rage, themes from Final Fantasy and even the funky little tunes from Parappa The Rapper. Get some energy flowing and, once we've got a story decided on, we can get ourselves some tracks to fit, using lots of different instruments, different situations and a truly unique experience for all.

So, does anybody think that this is worth pursuing?
I am very very interested in this.

One of my "dream" jobs is to become a composer for video games and the like.
I think it's worth it. Are we talking any kind of music? I've been itching to write some orchestral music for quite some time, so a good story here would really get me going on inspiration. If this gets far enough, I could try to get a recording with a real ensemble here at my school. I'm sure there are plenty here who would wanna participate.
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with something orchestral as long as we can make a story that's worth it. We'll need to have a clue as to how to compose and hear it without the orchestra.
Quote by Colohue
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with something orchestral as long as we can make a story that's worth it. We'll need to have a clue as to how to compose and hear it without the orchestra.

I use a score-writing program called Finale. It doesn't have great sounds for playback, but it will give us a rough idea of what the final product would sound like.
If you bother to compose it, throw me the Midi files and I'll put it into EWQL Orchestra... You won't even know it's not a real orchestra
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Well the point here is to compose something of that nature.

I'm thinking that we should start with an overture. Something broad, powerful and optimistic that can cover intro movies/menues.

What do you guys think? What sort of feel would you aim for when first starting a game?
I like this idea, a lot.

Though i feel it should be set in the modern era. I will also be willing to create/mix and master music if need be Just let me know
i am interested

as for what feel to aim for when starting a game, well that depends on the game. i played a game with ok music this past week, but the music fit the game. it was dark, lots of rain sounds and menacing things going on. that wouldnt work as the opening to a lot of games, but it worked there. so what kinda game we looking at here? id like to do something, probably keep it kinda short, but i still would enjoy contributing.
It's a good idea. Another band named Powerglove already did it, you should give it a listen, might just inspire you.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Okay, let's get a story started then.

I'm not going to use any names, so let's have the following characters:

Hero
Ally
Love Interest
Villain
Henchman

Simple enough? There's no need to name them when their roles could be so clear. I'd like it to be a modern era, but still to have fantasy elements in order to keep things alive, to keep an actual game interesting and thus give us plenty of situations to write music about.

I'm thinking vampires. Not Legacy Of Kain vampires or Anne Rice vampires, more Underworld vampires, with guns, teeth and swords. I'm canibalising an old story of mine here for this.

An old vampire, though his body is still only twenty-three, is returning to his old home after centuries away protecting one of the oldest, wisest and strongest vampires from assasination. He is coming back to his old coven in search of strong allies to continue his task. This is Hero.

Upon first entering the city, he feeds and, since he is quite powerful, he takes pleasure in using all the tricks that he has learned to drain the blood of the innocent in new and exciting ways. This draws the attention of Henchman, a vampire hunter who is a vampire himself, but believes in religion. Henchman feels that it is worth his own soul burning in hell forever to ensure the same for his enemies. The two encounter each other, and a battle ensues. Hero however, does not feel the need to fight, so he toys with his enemies, blows up their car, and disappears into the night.

You guys think you can work with that?
Disclaimer: I write a lot, so just head to the bottom for thread-relating. And I'm a very avid gamer.

I'm currently building a game.

I'm making it using RPG Maker, and I'm using Softimage's XSI to make 3D pre-rendered cutscenes (some of those are filmed in real-life, too !).
Basically it's a zombie/aliens shooter.

The plot revolves around one main character (I have a couple stories with this character already, this is a ''sequel'' and my most ambitious work yet). The guy is part of an interspecies organization who fights another organization. The organizations use people to fight their wars. When those ''heroes'' die, their minds (and experiences and everything) are stored (in various places). When the organization retrieve it, they can just transfer it back into another body. This makes for an interesting game, since you sometime change bodies (to infiltrate a planet, because there's no other choice ... etc.) granting new abilities.

I'm pretty limited on comp specs here, so I can't work with a full 3D engine. So the game looks a lot like the old Final Fantasys, but in modern environements.

Up to now, I have the hero in a town where there seems to be a zombie infestation. As he advances through his mission, he upgrades weaponry, find new squad members, etc. Plenty of sidequests. He discovers that the infestation is the work of the enemy organization, which was controlling the governement, and proceeds to take them out.

That's what I have so far. Not really related, but if anyone wants to compose music for the game ... .

For your vampire story, I'm thinking grandiose orchestra music for the menus. A different theme for each menu is pretty nice too. For in-game, I think heavily distorted single notes with background noises (like people talking, yelling, cars honking, dogs, bottles breakings, skaters ...) from time to time would be nice.
Quote by Dog
You must be able to tremolo pick like a mad man.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
How the **** do you jerk off?

Oh yeah: I'm a French-Canadian so excuse my English .
I'd be interested in this, I guess. I'm more used to writing fantasy-type RPG music though, not really meant for a modern setting. Oh well, we'll see what happens.
Quote by Colohue
Okay, let's get a story started then.

I'm not going to use any names, so let's have the following characters:

Hero
Ally
Love Interest
Villain
Henchman

Simple enough? There's no need to name them when their roles could be so clear. I'd like it to be a modern era, but still to have fantasy elements in order to keep things alive, to keep an actual game interesting and thus give us plenty of situations to write music about.

I'm thinking vampires. Not Legacy Of Kain vampires or Anne Rice vampires, more Underworld vampires, with guns, teeth and swords. I'm canibalising an old story of mine here for this.

An old vampire, though his body is still only twenty-three, is returning to his old home after centuries away protecting one of the oldest, wisest and strongest vampires from assasination. He is coming back to his old coven in search of strong allies to continue his task. This is Hero.

Upon first entering the city, he feeds and, since he is quite powerful, he takes pleasure in using all the tricks that he has learned to drain the blood of the innocent in new and exciting ways. This draws the attention of Henchman, a vampire hunter who is a vampire himself, but believes in religion. Henchman feels that it is worth his own soul burning in hell forever to ensure the same for his enemies. The two encounter each other, and a battle ensues. Hero however, does not feel the need to fight, so he toys with his enemies, blows up their car, and disappears into the night.

You guys think you can work with that?

I'm going to try and work with that right now
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
hey RedDeath ! Say, what's going on with the zombie CYOA ? I could write if there's really no one else ...

And sure, send whatever you want to. Don't worry, I won't be stealing any, you'll have full credits if the game ever makes it out of my living room .

And only the first hour or so of the game is in ''modern'' settings. Next part is on another planet ... I can probably make it fantasy enough for you .
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Last edited by el toro DKiAB at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by el toro DKiAB
hey RedDeath ! Say, what's going on with the zombie CYOA ? I could write if there's really no one else ...

And sure, send whatever you want to. Don't worry, I won't be stealing any, you'll have full credits if the game ever makes it out of my living room .

And only the first hour or so of the game is in ''modern'' settings. Next part is on another planet ... I can probably make it fantasy enough for you .

I don't know. I was thinking about writing, but I don't have enough time these days... I guess. I'll see if I can finish sometime today or tomorrow. If not, you can write.

And my comment was directed towards Colohue.
Definitely will be at least following this.

Will there be an actual videogame, and if so, how will it be programmed? I know a bit about programming.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Ghast
I'm going to try and work with that right now

Okay, we'll give you some time to play around. Let's have something dark, but victorious, yes?

I'm not a game designer; I'm just after the experience of the project. Once the music is made, perhaps it can be moved on towards a game or something - I don't know.
I'm interested in this.
I'd be happy to do some stuff on piano. I love the soundtrack to the Halo games. That stuff is epic, well worth checking out. So um....no formal story yet, or I am just a little slow?
Quote by Norphin
I'm interested in this.
I'd be happy to do some stuff on piano. I love the soundtrack to the Halo games. That stuff is epic, well worth checking out. So um....no formal story yet, or I am just a little slow?

The intro has been laid out, but we're taking things slowly. It's up for suggestions.

Also, you're write. Halo does have some quite worthwhile music in it.
I would like to participate.
I need practice for this, since i'm going to college to learn how to do this exact thing :]

Are we going to use the really long story given to us?

My favorite music is from the likes of Nobuo Uematsu, Kojo Kondo, and Motoi Sakuraba. Those guys are beasts.

I would be good for writing more metal band oriented stuff, but it's very orchestrated as well. If you need an idea of what i'm talking about, check my MP3's and listen to "And it Begins + Closing the Gap". Closing the Gap was originally written as a battle song... I think it somewhat sounds like it xD
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I would like to participate.
I need practice for this, since i'm going to college to learn how to do this exact thing :]

Are we going to use the really long story given to us?

I'm enjoying your music, but I'm confused as to what long story you're talking about. I've only given a short intro bit. I'm open for suggestions from anybody.
Quote by Colohue
I'm enjoying your music, but I'm confused as to what long story you're talking about. I've only given a short intro bit. I'm open for suggestions from anybody.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood the other post after yours. Sorry ^^

And thank you. Does that mean i'm able to participate and write?
Not meant to offend but does it have to be vampires? They have been used so much recently I really don't want to see one ever again lol.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Not meant to offend but does it have to be vampires? They have been used so much recently I really don't want to see one ever again lol.

Then by all means give me something else to work with. I've thus far only received one suggestion that it be in a modern setting.

And of course you can contribute, Dim. The more the merrier. Let's get some ideas coming from all different directions.
Last edited by Colohue at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by Colohue
Then by all means give me something else to work with. I've thus far only received one suggestion that it be in a modern setting.

And of course you can contribute, Dim. The more the merrier. Let's get some ideas coming from all different directions.

How modern are you wanting it?

el toro's idea seems to have some good potential imo, if we all work with that I think we could get a good story.

What do you guys think?
Quote by Guitarfreak777

while i kinda agree with that a bit, i still love vampires. while there are a ton of shows out there right now, stuff like 'Salem's Lot or the original Dracula are more where i come from vampire style. and underworld was a cool twist on things. then we get to the popular stuff thats out now, and yeah it gets overused a bit. but if we could go back to that older stuff, a good game would be epic (though i do love LOK too). a good game in a modern style setting with a nice little twist such as using vampires isnt exactly a new idea, but it is a very workable one.

anyway, what kind of game are we talking here? when i read that i though 3rd person shooter style. more like devil may cry 3rd person than gears of war 3rd person though. but at the same time, i could also see a more turn based game like FFVII or FFVIII (those are the two ive played, others are probably similar). for me anyway, the kind of music has to fit the type of game. shooter would be more gritty, crunchy music, where i would use a more orchestral style for a game more involved in talking to other charaters and such (except i cant write for an orchestra, but that kinda style anyway).

so i think the 3rd person idea would work better for this style of game, and probably for the style of music most people would be comfortable working with. if this is sorta more a collaborative decision making process, what does everyone else think?
Quote by jof1029
while i kinda agree with that a bit, i still love vampires. while there are a ton of shows out there right now, stuff like 'Salem's Lot or the original Dracula are more where i come from vampire style. and underworld was a cool twist on things. then we get to the popular stuff thats out now, and yeah it gets overused a bit. but if we could go back to that older stuff, a good game would be epic (though i do love LOK too). a good game in a modern style setting with a nice little twist such as using vampires isnt exactly a new idea, but it is a very workable one.

anyway, what kind of game are we talking here? when i read that i though 3rd person shooter style. more like devil may cry 3rd person than gears of war 3rd person though. but at the same time, i could also see a more turn based game like FFVII or FFVIII (those are the two ive played, others are probably similar). for me anyway, the kind of music has to fit the type of game. shooter would be more gritty, crunchy music, where i would use a more orchestral style for a game more involved in talking to other charaters and such (except i cant write for an orchestra, but that kinda style anyway).

so i think the 3rd person idea would work better for this style of game, and probably for the style of music most people would be comfortable working with. if this is sorta more a collaborative decision making process, what does everyone else think?

I see what your saying with the vampires and if we did do the older versions it wouldn't be so bad.

I think it should be more of a 3rd person like devil may cry as you said seems to be very fitting here.
I actually think that the Devil May Cry sort of thing could be exactly what we're looking for, but I don't want everybody making battle themes. At the moment we're working on the intro and anybody who starts making boss fight music will just be ignored.

This is a group process, and this idea opens up a lot more options, while still fitting the overall feel. I'd like to think of Devil May Cry, but with some beauty and momentous scenery.
Quote by gallagher2006
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589795&page=1

We tried something similiar a while ago, until someone took it unto themselves to try and MAKE a game inspired by the music.

Hey. You guys could have kept going with the soundtrack But no thread lives forever.

Wow el toro, I just carefully read your suggestion. Is it merely a coincidence that it sounds a lot like the Zombie Outbreak/Fugitive Edition threads? Either way, it sounds pretty cool. I like the idea of the significance of mind... stuff. At least I would imagine that psychology and whatnot play a large part.

And I just FINALLY understood about the mind-storing thing. Interesting.
Quote by RedDeath9
Hey. You guys could have kept going with the soundtrack But no thread lives forever.

Wow el toro, I just carefully read your suggestion. Is it merely a coincidence that it sounds a lot like the Zombie Outbreak/Fugitive Edition threads? Either way, it sounds pretty cool. I like the idea of the significance of mind... stuff. At least I would imagine that psychology and whatnot play a large part.

And I just FINALLY understood about the mind-storing thing. Interesting.

It is a coicidence I've been writing stuff about zombies for the past 2 years. The CYOA seemed awesome to me because of that .

My game is a third-person shooter ... think over-the-shoulder camera. Cross between Devil May Cry and Gears of War.

Psychology is a good part of the ambiance I'm trying to create . Ever saw zombies clubbin' ? And the mind storing thing ... I just thought of that as a convenient way to be able to change environements/main characters. And storyline-related of course.

Sorry about all the confusion. I'm pretty much a hermit who can't talk and when I try to explain what's going on in my mind to people ... well, if I'm not face-to-face, and the person isn't listening very intently, it's ugly. And I'm not quite as fluent in English, either. Anyone here speaks french ?
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Last edited by el toro DKiAB at Oct 18, 2009,
Can I get a TD RL or whatever that thing is.
Seems interesting but people are making huge posts.

I will try to just jump in a minute and say, rather than making a game, can't use hack an old game and replace the music? Just for starters.
Loads of great games and would be really easy.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by GaijinFoot
Can I get a TD RL or whatever that thing is.
Seems interesting but people are making huge posts.

I will try to just jump in a minute and say, rather than making a game, can't use hack an old game and replace the music? Just for starters.
Loads of great games and would be really easy.

TL;DR.

Ok I'll be nice (although reading 3 paragraphes at a time makes for good brain exercise). Colohue has this idea about making a soundtrack for a game. He's provided a story for you to base your work on. Some people have been talking about the tones and effects to use.

btw, sorry for the spam posts Colohue ... I'll stick to constructive ideas and creative music now.
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Last edited by el toro DKiAB at Oct 18, 2009,
Quote by el toro DKiAB
TL;DR.

Ok I'll be nice (although reading 3 paragraphes at a time makes for good brain exercise). Colohue has this idea about making a soundtrack for a game. He's provided a story for you to base your work on. Some people have been talking about the tones and effects to use.

It's a bit more than 3 paragraphs but thanks for explaining.
Is there an actual game being made or do people just want to know the genre to help create?

I've thought about a similar thing recently but strictly 8bit.
anywho, I'll watch the thread for a bit now I'm caught up.

Thanks
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Page 1 of 3