Hey I was just wondering what you guys think of Guitar Pro and is it much better (for the money) than TuxGuitar. I use TuxGuitar (for those that don't know, it plays guitar pro files and is a free open source program) a lot to both learn songs/mostly play along with the guitar track or whatever turned off, but I see that GuitarPro has the Realistic Sound engine thing. How does this fare? I see how it works on the site but one can only trust something so much as advertised by the publisher.

I really don't like the MIDI sounds of Tuxguitar (or that of the GP5 demo w/o RSE) Do you guys think its worth the extra 60?
The RSE is very nice, I think it's worth it but that's just because I can't stand MIDI guitar sounds. I also find Guitar Pro to be more user friendly than Tux Guitar.
Don't they all use the same sounds? And besides, the programs are for learning/writing songs, not for sounding entirely life like.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
The reason why I liked guitarpro better was because I got really used to the interface when I was writing songs. When I tried tux guitar everything was in different places so it turned me off. If you're used to tux guitar's interface and you just use it mostly to listen to songs then tux guitar is pretty much identical to guitarpro.

I personally never turn on the realstic sound feature. It does sound a lot cooler but it used up a bit too much CPU for my liking. Plus it only sounds realstic for guitar, bass, and drums, so any synth sounds or auxilary percussion delays a little bit because its still the MIDI sound.
If we're talking looks (like print quality and such) there is NO substitute for GP5.

TuxGuitar's pretty good for functionality though, and pretty much on par with GP5.

RSE can be worth it, but it doesn't work on my computer well.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
i am pretty annoyed iwth tux guitar right now. i can't get it to format my bars correctly because it does its own crap. like right now, im stuck in a bar in 4/4 which is what it should be, and there are 8 eight notes in the bar, but it puts an extra 8th rest in there, so its in 9/8. i can't figure out a single way to fix it. its like that in 5 or 6 measures.

i don't like how much control it has over things
I much prefer GP5. I don't think Tux Guitar has drums in it either? Could be wrong, haven't used it in a while
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Can't say one way or the other on Tux, but GP5 is definitely worht it. i love that program :]
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote by entity0009
Animal Cracker

I'm pretty sure it's a type of noodle.
Can't stand the MIDI sounds, so GP for me. MIDI notes in drop G# sounds awful
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
MIDI notes in drop G# sounds awful

Or arranging eight-string guitar F#'s for MIDI. Yuck.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by travislausch
Or arranging eight-string guitar F#'s for MIDI. Yuck.

Here's hoping GP6 has 8-string support, I'm fed up of tabbing a single guitar line over 2 separate tracks
ohai little sig.
it depends what u use it for. i use tuxguitar just to learn timings when playing along with songs, because it can sometimes be hard to hear in the actual song while reading plain text tabs. so i learn in tuxguitar and then play along with the real song. but if u use it to write stuff or u play along with it instead of the actual song, GP5.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Alright guys seems like GP5 would be a worthwhile decision for me. That being said, up above someone had mentioned hoping that GP6 had a feature for 8-string support. This doesn't matter to me but do you have any idea of around what time it would be released? I can't even count how many times I've bought something right before the price went down. I'd be willing to wait a small while
Yeah, GP is great. Powertab is great

Tux is free though. that was the major selling point for me
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
^This thread is literally 5 years old...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com