Page 1 of 2
I didn't really know where to put it.. so I decided for the pit

Like in the movie 'School of Rock (), I would like one, as it would be very informative for me. Does anyone know where I could find ( a complete ) one?

i want one, too. I've even tried to make one before.

that would be a lucritive (moneymaking) idea if someone decided to make one...it would probably be a pretty big poster tho
A headbangers journey is a documentary, but it features all the rock genres in a diagram format.

But that is more about Heavy metal sub-genres than all the other genres like alternative and Psychadelic.
DeVillains!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg

This one is more geared toward metal and hard rock, but there are other styles like grunge and punk thrown in there as well. Hope it helps.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by Ylasto
A headbangers journey is a documentary, but it features all the rock genres in a diagram format.

But that is more about Heavy metal sub-genres than all the other genres like alternative and Psychadelic.

thats an awesome documentary!
Looks like you have a picture of it already. What's the problem?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Sewn Up
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg

This one is more geared toward metal and hard rock, but there are other styles like grunge and punk thrown in there as well. Hope it helps.

It's also inaccurate - Biohazard is not 'nu-metal,' Hatebreed isn't metalcore and neither is Dillinger Escape Plan, and Fear Factory isn't Industrial.

Sorry.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by nightraven
good luck finding a chart tailored exactly to your interpretations of the bands. the best you can do is check out wiki articles which have loads and loads of example bands.

I agree to an extent, but calling Biohazard nu metal is pretty inaccurate by most standards. Putting Fear Factory under the Industrial umbrella seems really wrong too.
There are other ones that skirt the line, but those seem really out of place.

Maybe I'm just picky? I don't really care about genres, but if you're gonna group them, it should be done with a very large and diverse group of people to cover this kinda thing, IMO.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
You can get it if you buy the DVD, if you put it in your computer you can find it somewhere there.
I've always been interested in the history of rock, and a chart would be awesome to have. I might make one this weekend or I'll wait for someone else to.
Louis Armstrong - Frank Sinatra - Elvis - Beatles - Queen - Michael Jackson - Metallica - Nirvana - (Insert 90s Pop Group here) - (Insert random hip hop rapper crap here).

Something like that.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Quote by strat0blaster
It's also inaccurate - Biohazard is not 'nu-metal,' Hatebreed isn't metalcore and neither is Dillinger Escape Plan, and Fear Factory isn't Industrial.

Sorry.

No youre wrong, sorry. unless youre being sarcastic.
I don't see how New Wave comes from folk rock, especially because the term New Wave was an attempt for record companies to market punk. It became it's own genre, but not having an arrow coming from punk is wrong.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by strat0blaster
I agree to an extent, but calling Biohazard nu metal is pretty inaccurate by most standards. Putting Fear Factory under the Industrial umbrella seems really wrong too.
There are other ones that skirt the line, but those seem really out of place.

Maybe I'm just picky? I don't really care about genres, but if you're gonna group them, it should be done with a very large and diverse group of people to cover this kinda thing, IMO.

Don't worry about being picky at all. There were some bands on there that I don't think should've been in the categories they were in either. I know Biohazard isn't Nu-metal and I know that Hatebreed isn't Metalcore. If anything, I think Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage should've been under Metalcore because they are the two main bands that really brought that style of playing to a pretty large audience. However, I was only using the chart as an example to help the guy get started so he can make his own conclusions.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by element4433
I don't see how New Wave comes from folk rock, especially because the term New Wave was an attempt for record companies to market punk. It became it's own genre, but not having an arrow coming from punk is wrong.

I've always thought of New Wave as post-punk. Speaking of which, how can you have a list of New Wave bands and not include XTC??
Quote by wizards?
I made an influence chart for a project on the history of music. That was pretty much a bunch of lines coming from Robert Johnson, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page.

If you did it right, there would have been a few delta blues players with lines going to T-
Bone Walker and Muddy Waters, a **** load of lines going out of them, with a **** load of lines going out of those guys etc.
Quote by the_jackyl
I've always thought of New Wave as post-punk. Speaking of which, how can you have a list of New Wave bands and not include XTC??
Post Punk and New Wave are different.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The School of Rock chalkboard was probably scribbled on in 10 minutes - it only features in the film for about 3 seconds IIRC.

The 'genealogy' of music is more complicated than that. Artists are influenced by lots of genres, and any certain genre is rarely just a reaction to one previous genre.
Quote by the_jackyl
*shrug* care to elaborate?
Yeah sure. Post Punk would be Joy Division, Magazine, Gang of Four, The Talking Heads (maybe), The Pop Group. New Wave would be Devo and that type of thing.

Honestly I'm not the best person to talk about the difference.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Page 1 of 2