I'm just curious to know how many of you out there actually toggle between pickups when you're playing. And if you do, for what sounds or styles do you switch between pickups to get your desired sound? Like me....I have an H-H configuration with a 5 way toggle and I use my bridge pickup for my primary distortion and lead tones for metal, rock, etc., my neck pickup for most soloing, sweeping or any type of warm or ballad type tones. I use positions 2 and 4 of the switch for Strat-like blues tones such as Stevie Ray Vaughan or Los Lonely Boys, and for cleans I mostly use the middle position or I'll use positions 2 and 4 for a brighter clean tone.
Sorry if this has already been posted but I tried looking and didn't find anything. So I'm just curious.....how do you guys incorporate your toggle switch into your playing?
TALK TO GOD HERE --->

ME:
So you're gonna end the world soon?
GOD:
Interesting deduction. That was my original intention.
ME:
Well don't.
GOD:
Well that's okay. OK I will not.

Earth's fate saved in sig = EPIC WIN!!!
With my current amp, I basically have to use the bridge p-up on my Squier Tele, or else it gets too muddy, but I'm getting a Blues Deluxe tomorrow, and I'll definitely be using my neck p-up a lot to try to emulate that SRV/John Mayer blues strat tone.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
i only switch dependent on the sound i want or if i'm using distortion, if i'm using distorion i use the bridge, if i play clean i use either the neck or both.
I switch all the time.

When playing a piece, I'll try about 45 seconds of it on each pickup config. (I have a H/S/S setup) To see what sounds best.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
exactly like you do...except sometimes I'll roll the volume completely down on the neck and strike a vicious bend with the bridge and toggle for that sweet effect...I'm sure it's horrible for the pots but I haven't had any problems....yet
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
i switch pickups on my LP about 3-5 times per song (depending on the song)
this is mostly due to the fact that i have a combo amp, and no foot switch
if you toggle to a low tone low volume it reduces deistortion.
usaly with workin them angels by rush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obvHQoNcpzc
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Depends entirely on the song? But generally, I have no set standards for pickup use, I don't have one position I always uses for solos, one always for clean, etc. I use everything pretty much evenly. The only thing I never use is on Strats, the second position (bridge + middle together). That is the only pickup selection on any guitar that I have never found a use for.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
to MrFlibble yeah thats what I do too thats what I meant but what I posted above is usually what I start off with and then I work from there. Thats actually what I meant. sorry for the confusion.
TALK TO GOD HERE --->

ME:
So you're gonna end the world soon?
GOD:
Interesting deduction. That was my original intention.
ME:
Well don't.
GOD:
Well that's okay. OK I will not.

Earth's fate saved in sig = EPIC WIN!!!
I use them all quite often really. It all depends on the tone I want. There have been times where I've used the bridge for palm mutes and 'chugga chugga', but I've also used the neck for the same.
Whichever setting is most appropriate in the current musical context.. i do tend to switch from the bridge to neck when playing leads to smooth it out, but not always as it can be a bit of a hassle unless you have time to change
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
I change selections fairly often..
on my strat, I use almost all the pickup combinations (I've got 3 on/off switches, instead of a 5-way), for different sounds.
on my dinky (H-H), I use mostly bridge, or bridge+neck.. the neck still gets used on its own, just not as often. and I find I switch more mid-song when I'm using my dinky, than on my strat

soo.. i pretty much use all the positions, I guess I switch fairly often
i almost never use the middle pick up on my strat, just the neck and bridge
No set standards, it really depends what I feel like using.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i usually keep my amp tone pretty warm, and then use a boost pedal for solos. so because of that, i use my bridge pickup for mostly everything, neck pickup for most cleans and tapping, smooth shreds (although i cant really shred yet).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Constantly.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
I like the bridge tone better than the neck tone, yet i must admit that i use the neck pups alot, specially when im into arpeggios and sweeps
For me, it's

Middle + Bridge = Rhythm distortion
Bridge = Overdrive
Neck = Light overdrive
Neck + Middle = Warm cleans + Lead distortion
Neck = Harsh cleans

If that makes any sense.
switch all the time. usually have them at different volumes as well.
when i'm centered (bridge and neck), i have the neck volume and tone rolled off
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
All the time, I usually keep my neck pickup ready for solos and my bridge for rhythem, but i switch all the time, I'm going to need some new pup selectors soon.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by RaySolava
[Survey] How often do you toggle between pickups?

*looks at his guitars and notices they are all single pickup*

ummm....

aha!

Never!
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
The only thing I never use is on Strats, the second position (bridge + middle together). That is the only pickup selection on any guitar that I have never found a use for.

I used to not use it, but recently it's been my favourite position.

I just use whatever I feel like at any time.

Although when playing live with a band, I tend to use either the middle or the bridge pickup for leads, because the extra treble helps to cut through the mix and be audible.

Also, recently I've been liking all 3 of my pickups at once for a mellow clean sound.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Oct 16, 2009,
If I have my octave pedal on I like being at the neck with the tone rolled off a bit; it adds even more bass, same goes if I'm using fuzz. For blues leads I use the neck with the tone rolled completely down; I get a great "woman" tone that way. If I'm playing rock I only ever use the bridge pickup even if I'm playing rhythm, it's just how I get my sound I guess. I use the middle position for cleans, you get a great balance of sounds that way.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by Yerjam at Oct 16, 2009,
I toggle the pickup selection a lot while I'm playing, Doesn't matter which guitar it is. Why? Well, They have distinct sounds and the neck pickup is usually louder than the bridge pickup even if it is adjusted lower.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Oct 16, 2009,
I use it like that:

Neck + Bridge = "normal" clean tone, slower solos
Neck = almost the same as for Neck + Bridge
Bridge = I mainly use it for OD, also for twangy cleans
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
It depends on the tone im going for in the given parts.

In my main guitar I have two humbuckers, split coil mode, reverse phase mode, or normal, and a three way switch to to chose which pickups are on. The positions are for bridge, neck or both.

For most of my distortions as I like a tight tone, I use the bridge pickup, in humbucker mode. For clean leads I like to use the neck pickup in humbucker mode, or both pickups. For clean strumming, I use the neck pickup in split coil mode (kinda like single coil pickup sound). If I want more of a squaky sound for like reggae and such, I turn on the reverse phase switch on top of that. Another type of interesting tone, is rolling down the volume while on the neck pickup for a creamy dirty sound.
I only have an SSS strat and I really cannot decide which pickup config I like the most

with high gain the bridge has a decent crunch for a single coil and a strat, but I LOVE the tone of the neck and middle pups as well as the gain, just has more 'pop' im not sure how to describe it.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON