I really want to get me an Ibanez RG. I love the tone, feel and looks and just about everything. But when I did research I found out that some people say the Edge 3 bridge is unreliable and sucks and others that said it was. A trem is just the greatest ****ing thing to ever exist so I need to have one. Or just really want one really really really bad.

I read some reviews on it online and two or three people mentioned that it has to be set up right. And that all the people who say it sucks didnt even bother setting it up so

To the people ho have owned and used one over a long period of time and set it up properly according to the instructions, is it a good reliable bridge that keeps in tune?

If you never owned one and or are just here to flame rather than give credible criticism well just get the **** out and go home. Noone cares.
Here's how it is: It's a junk bridge. How much does a good bridge cost for the manufacturer? About 2 times the cost of the Edge III. Think about it this way: An Edge III costs about $45 in like new condition on eBay. An OFR or a Gotoh Floyd Rose costs two to three times that. There's a reason they put it on cheap guitars, it's a cheap unit.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've had mine for about 2 years now, and the tuning slips on it a hell of a lot. The saddles themselves have slipped, pushing the pickguard up on mine. (RG 350) This was before and after being set up many times.

I don't like the trem at all to be honest, there are much better out there. The higher end RG's have better trems, so if you could save up a little more, and get a higher end RG, you will have a much nicer guitar and trem.

Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
I've never owned an Edge III. I've owned an Edge II, and some other Ibanez guitars.

Locking trems need to be set up right. It's like a classic car: with weekly maintainance it will give you years of enjoyment, but otherwise it'll just never work right. If you're not willing to mess with it pretty regularly (or it's your only electric and you don't have a backup), avoid it and go with a vintage-style trem.

That said, I found Ibanez to be a very unreliable company. The metal they use for their saddles/screws/miscellaneous parts is poor quality, and often nonstandard machining to boot. If you lose or break a part, Ibanez (at least when I owned mine) does NOT have a good support policy, and I couldn't find a part elsewhere. When I lost a saddle to my Lo-Pro II, the Ibanez rep actually told my dealer (he was on speakerphone while I was there) to, "Just machine something for the guy."

Terrible customer service, and that's why I'll never own one again.
it keeps in tune. it works well. but after a lot of heavy use (if you use it a lot for like...6 months) the knife edges (search for FR's in wikipedia to know what that is) wear out and everything else starts to fail.

it's cheap but it works fine until those tings wear out. Then, you'll eed to tune almost on a daily basis, adjust intontaion a lot, etc. i wouldnt get it. and honestly, trems aren't that great.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Oct 16, 2009,
yes it is a cheap trem, but in order for them to last follow, the maintenance instructions, break it in gently for the 1st couple of weeks....and the simple rule is even though the manual will say you can go up or down by as much as a 7th don`t do anything more than a 4th....you are not steve vai.....
Its not that bad. I have it on one of my guitars and it has not failed me yet. It works great, though my main guitar has a OFR. I find the Edge trems smoother, though the OFR can stay in tune no matter what. I do wish it was smoother though.
If you have them set up properly and don't attempt any Steve Vai or Herman Li style antics then you can have years of reliable service. I owned an Edge III equipped RG350DX for a year that never gave me any problems at all.

That being said, if you can find an older RG with an Original Edge then do it. The bridge on my 550 rocks.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
wow lots of replies.
ill go to guitar center and see if they have any higher end RGs with better bridges
if not, well ill think of something.

btw out of curiosity
is it possible to take out the edge 3 and replace it with an original floyd rose?
would the OFR fit in the cutout or would i have some other work to do
I don't know about OFRs but I'm pretty sure Edge Pros, Lo Pros and ZRs all fit in Edge III cavities.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by bikecheez
A trem is just the greatest ****ing thing to ever exist so I need to have one.

If you want divebombs etc, get a whammy pedal. Why spend 30 minutes tuning your guitar every time you want to play something in an alternate tuning just to have one little effect which you're probably not even going to use much?

Oh, and good luck with changing strings.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
I throw my 2 cents in.. My Ibanez 370DX has the Edge lll Locking Tremolo in it and i have no problems with it i have been cranking dive bombs on this for about 2 years now. the tunning doesn't slip the tremolo on mine happens to work fine and has had ZERO problems so far so in my opinion the edge lll is a hit and miss kind of bridge i happened to get lucky or i take care of mine one of the two
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by jean_genie
That said, I found Ibanez to be a very unreliable company. The metal they use for their saddles/screws/miscellaneous parts is poor quality, and often nonstandard machining to boot. If you lose or break a part, Ibanez (at least when I owned mine) does NOT have a good support policy, and I couldn't find a part elsewhere. When I lost a saddle to my Lo-Pro II, the Ibanez rep actually told my dealer (he was on speakerphone while I was there) to, "Just machine something for the guy."

Terrible customer service, and that's why I'll never own one again.

I find that Ibanez is very reliable. The problem is that you bought a low-end Ibanez. You can't expect it to be great quality. There's a reason why it was cheaper than the other models. They were cutting some corners to keep price down. In terms of customer service, Ibanez is a Japanese company that produces its own hardware. You can't really expect them to have optimal customer service when you skimped out on getting the nicer one for a cheaper version especially since you lost it. If I ran Ibanez, I wouldn't help you either, it's just a lot of trouble to please one person who didn't even buy the "good stuff."

Quote by bikecheez
wow lots of replies.
ill go to guitar center and see if they have any higher end RGs with better bridges

btw out of curiosity
is it possible to take out the edge 3 and replace it with an original floyd rose?

It's not worth it in the long run. You're better off getting a much higher quality guitar with a good trem. The Edge 3 may last for you, but if it doesn't just forget about it, it's still a low end guitar. The RGs (Prestige) with good trems start at $1000. You can also look for used ones. You could probably easily find a 80s or 90s MIJ RG with upgraded pickups and a good trem for less than a RG350DX and an OFR. It would also be much higher quality. Or look for a used Prestige. It's worth it to save a little longer for the Prestige or MIJ. They have better wood, better craftsmanship, and overall better quality in every aspect. Plus, they're not that expensive on the used market.

Quote by falconthefirst

If you want divebombs etc, get a whammy pedal. Why spend 30 minutes tuning your guitar every time you want to play something in an alternate tuning just to have one little effect which you're probably not even going to use much?

Oh, and good luck with changing strings.

Whammy pedals are nothing like trems. Trems physically affect the strings and guitar. You can do things on them that you can never do with the pedal. Comparing the two is like comparing a tube amp to the cheap modeler attempt at recreating its character. There's just no comparison. They're different, that's why Steve Vai has a whammy pedal on his pedal board in addition to his trems. They don't do the same thing.
Quote by bikecheez
wow lots of replies.

btw out of curiosity

I have a thread on my sig, in which I posted instructions on how replacing the Edge III to OFR is possible. Its relatively easy, but takes a long time if you dont have a router.
Quote by nyandres
I have a thread on my sig, in which I posted instructions on how replacing the Edge III to OFR is possible. Its relatively easy, but takes a long time if you dont have a router.
I'd still do it the way you did it - sans router. Just seems like it would be a lot harder to perma-**** something with sandpaper.

To the guy who said 'good luck changing strings': lol@your ineptness
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
ok so it looks like i have a couple options at this point.

-save extra money to buy a good quality ibanez with better bridge
not sure about this one because i work for a cater hall so i dont work a set number of days per week, so im not entirely sure about this. i really want to get my guitar by christmas but if necessary i would wait an extra month or two for the quality

-get the ibanez and hope for the best(leads into third option)
the option doesnt even sound good. not sure about this. but if its not working out i can just return it and get a different guitar or just save the refund money and some more to get a better guitar.

-if the bridge is outta wack then replace it with a OFR(using nyandres' tut)
saves the second option but it would be alot of extra work. cause i am not taking any shortcuts.

not sure yet. i got quite some time though so im pretty relaxed. and its not like i have a deadline.
Last edited by bikecheez at Oct 18, 2009,
Musiciansfriend and Guitarcenter probably have Black Friday sales. I got my Prestige for $800 last year. It was originally $1000. I plan on doing the same this year.
It's a hit and miss thing. Mine DID suck, but is did a really good setup on it myself and it works wonderfully now. you just have to try it out.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by IbanezRGS
It's a hit and miss thing. Mine DID suck, but is did a really good setup on it myself and it works wonderfully now. you just have to try it out.

what do you mean by you did a good setup?
like did you alter the bridge and or something drastic/semi drastic?
or did you just fine tune it using the screws and manual?
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
I've had mine for about 2 years now, and the tuning slips on it a hell of a lot. The saddles themselves have slipped, pushing the pickguard up on mine. (RG 350) This was before and after being set up many times.

I don't like the trem at all to be honest, there are much better out there. The higher end RG's have better trems, so if you could save up a little more, and get a higher end RG, you will have a much nicer guitar and trem.

This

the knife edges die between 6 months to a year of playing, which is absolute BS.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
hey what i would suggest after i did the same thing as you is to get an ibanez like in the $2000 (australian money) range because after a while trust me you will want to change the bridge. and after buying the bridge (like i did) and get it setup there is most likely going to be lots of problems and then you have to get them fixed (again like me) and you will end up probs spending over $500-$600 dollars more just to get it setup and you still might want to change the pickups!! So i have spent well over the price of $2000 bucks on my guitar (including the price of the guitar) just to get the the bridge on it. so if you have parents or just by yourself, believe me they will be saving lots of money just buy getting a more expensive (maybe prestige model) guitar with a good bridge and good pickups already in it. Sorry to write heaps but it's all important! lol!
Chris!
I've had mine for a year now and it has yet to fail, i tune it about once every couple of months and it's still pretty much perfect. On top of that, i never got the guitar set up and i got the one that was on display at Guitar Center since it was the last one, so who knows what it suffered before i bought it.