Holy fuk my amp sounds way better through head headphones, even if they are just cheap skullcandies. i have a peavey rage 158 transtube and i'm wondering if all amps sound better through headphones. The lead channel sounded like Zeppelin - Whole lotta love solo

also i'm thinking of getting i new speaker. the current one is a Blue marvel, and i'm thinking of something like a V30.

What d'ya think??
Imo I don't think that all amps sound better through headphones. I think it's more that peavey speakers aren't that great. You'd be further ahead selling your amp and putting the money from the amp and what you would have spent on a speaker to get a new amp. Are you in a band? What other gear do you have and what styles of music do you play? Hope this helped some.
Last edited by higglor at Oct 16, 2009,
Every amp I've tried headphones on sounded WAY worse hah.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
With my gear it's the other way 'round, no matter what headphones I use.

Uhm, how do I say this politely? The Peavey Rage is one of the worst amps I have ever had the misfortune to come across and if I weren't an atheist, I'd take it as proof that Satan exists and works at Peavey HQ.

Sorry. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: It's a really cheap and in my opinion very very bad amp and therefore I don't think it's worth it to spend money on a replacement speaker for it. I'd rather keep the money, save some more and replace the amp alltogether at some point later.
Quote by TheQuailman
With my gear it's the other way 'round, no matter what headphones I use.

Uhm, how do I say this politely? The Peavey Rage is one of the worst amps I have ever had the misfortune to come across and if I weren't an atheist, I'd take it as proof that Satan exists and works at Peavey HQ.

Sorry. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: It's a really cheap and in my opinion very very bad amp and therefore I don't think it's worth it to spend money on a replacement speaker for it. I'd rather keep the money, save some more and replace the amp alltogether at some point later.

well i think it works just fine and i was looking to mod it and the selling price i could get for it isnt worth it
Well, if you like it, that's all that counts. I wouldn't know what speaker to get for it though. Don't limit yourself to Celestions, there's a couple of companies that make copies of famous speakers, like http://warehousespeakers.com, which means you can get a good speaker for relatively cheap. We've got an entire forum section for gear building and customizing though, maybe one of the guys there can help you more:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

EDIT: I doubt you can fit a 12" speaker like a V30 in the Rage, it uses an 8" one, doesn't it?
Last edited by TheQuailman at Oct 16, 2009,