I recently recorded my singing for the first time and realized that everything sounded very, very wrong (no, I no longer have the recordings. I deleted them). I kept recording and trying to make everything sound better, but I couldn't. If I can't seem to match the pitch when singing, but I'm still able to hear how far off I am when I listen to a recording of myself, would I be considered tone deaf or am I just a bad singer? And is there any way I can fix this pitch-matching issue?

I also have some issues with singing clean. My voice seems to waver a lot - not because of straining or lack of breath support, but because... I don't know, I guess I instinctively add vibrato to everything to compensate for mediocre singing or something. Anyway, I can't stop - it happens on its own, without me thinking about it.

tl;dr I've been working on my range all this time because I thought my pitch was okay, then I recorded myself and wanted to puke it was so bad. Am I still tone deaf if I can hear my failure in the recordings, and how can I solve this issue? As for the second paragraph, just read it.
If I can't seem to match the pitch when singing, but I'm still able to hear how far off I am when I listen to a recording of myself, would I be considered tone deaf or am I just a bad singer?

You're not tone deaf. If you were tone deaf you wouldn't realise how bad you were.
Call me Batman.
I'm pretty sure the vibrato you're talking about is you spazzing out your diaphragm. Vibrato is done with the throat, not the diaphragm.

It's quite hard to fix. Try just pushing in your diaphragm the whole time, and consciously making sure it doesn't spaz out.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Get a vocal teacher.

Can't afford it, and there are no local jobs available to make it so I can.
Quote by i_don't_know

That sucks dude, without any type of teacher normally players can't fix problems by themselves because they really don't know how to.

I would suggest looking up as much as you can about the technique vibrato so you know how it works, maybe then you can stop yourself from doing it.
Quote by i_don't_know

Umm, where do you live where there's no jobs?

The reason it sounds so off now is that you're hearing the sound of your own voice for the first time. You couldn't handle it so much that you even deleted the recordings

You should record yourself regularly, try to make sounds that sound good and play them back to you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Umm, where do you live where there's no jobs?

The reason it sounds so off now is that you're hearing the sound of your own voice for the first time. You couldn't handle it so much that you even deleted the recordings

You should record yourself regularly, try to make sounds that sound good and play them back to you.

That's some of the best advice I've gotten since I joined this site. I'll try it!

Also, an update: Today I learned that if I worry less about my range and just stick to my chest voice most of the time and use my mixed voice less, my pitch is more accurate. Maybe I'll stick to my natural pseudo-bass chest voice from now on.
Quote by i_don't_know
That's some of the best advice I've gotten since I joined this site. I'll try it!

Also, an update: Today I learned that if I worry less about my range and just stick to my chest voice most of the time and use my mixed voice less, my pitch is more accurate. Maybe I'll stick to my natural pseudo-bass chest voice from now on.

You should always stick to what's natural for you whenever possible anyways. You'll always sing better that way. I can sing low bass notes, but my voice is at its best when I sing anywhere from A3 - A4.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Something that will help a lot in terms of singing is Ear Training; if at all possible, try to find something online to help you learn and identify intervals and such. Ear training and vocal work go hand and hand quite a bit.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by i_don't_know

You'll initially feel more comfortable singing around the range that you speak in, and make funny voices/jokes in. When I started singing lessons my bass range was good, because I have a naturally lower voice and did Elvis impersonations

But it's good to work on your entire range to increase confidence with it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
You'll initially feel more comfortable singing around the range that you speak in, and make funny voices/jokes in. When I started singing lessons my bass range was good, because I have a naturally lower voice and did Elvis impersonations

But it's good to work on your entire range to increase confidence with it.

yea its funny how that works. i seem to have a lot of control over my voice when i do my bing crosby impression....which by the way is pretty good (or so im told). not that ill ever need to use that voice lol. although i did use it on a christmas song me and these girls i know did. i sang the low end parts. pretty fun actually.