Alrighty UG...

I've been looking to add another guitar to my collection this year, and I think a 7 string is the way to go.

I'm kind of just looking for suggestions on what would be a good 7 string in terms of build quality/playability/tone/etc. I'm just looking for suggestions to get my gears turning.

This guitar will, of course, be for t3h br00talz. I'm looking to get a nice grind going on like Dream Theater's lower tuned stuff, Meshuggah (yeah, they use 8's ) etc.

The terms of my thread:...

-NO EMG 707's; I am a fan of passives and these make it impossible for me to put a passive pup in the guitar!

-IT MUST BE A BARITONE; I didn't like the couple of 25.5 scale 7's I've toyed with

-I'd like to spend ~$800 USD. I am absolutely willing to go used

Without further ado...

FIRE AWAY!
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
Last edited by {Ѵëņŏmőůş} at Oct 16, 2009,
Ibanez Apex 2 ,awesome guitar,900$,definately worth it!!!
It's equipped with some awesome DiMarzio pickups which sound really awesome,it comes factory downtuned to ADGCFAD, this is Munky's guitar. KoRn style. Awesome!!!!
Last edited by Dopemgs at Oct 16, 2009,
AGILE!!!!

get a septor. they've got passive pickups and fixed bridges. and they don't cost more than about 600 bucks. do it!
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Used Ibanez RG7680, RG1077XL, RG7420XL ... if you can find them. Agiles look pretty solid. There are a bunch of Schecters, too. You need to audition them for playability since the neck profiles are all over the place.

I have the LTD SC607B, beastly, but they have actives.

^^ i think all the Schecter 7-strings have EMG 707's
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Quote by Ippon
My older Schecters have the '59/Jazz combos.

oh, i wasn't aware of that, my bad lol wonder if they still make them like that

edit: they do, the blackjack 7 sting model has the JB/'59 pickups
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C7-Blackjack-7String-Electric-Guitar?sku=484195
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Last edited by fbeckinsale at Oct 16, 2009,
You could probably pick up an ESP SC607B from the used market if you're patient. Great guitars. I'd advice trying them out first; the pickup configuration is a little odd to some.

The Ibanez Apex 2 isn't a baritone guitar. I wouldn't suggest it for anything below A, and even then you'll need a thicker string for the A. It's floppy otherwise.

I doubt you'll be able to find an XL Ibanez. But keep your eye out.

I'm just reiterating what Ippon has said, but Schecter guitars offer a plethora of models with a 26.5" neck. Just be mindful of their thickness.