Hello, I've been playing guitar for just about 3 years now and thinking of getting a new amp. I don't really know anything about amps and sound so I can't really describe what I'm looking for in technical terms (sorry about that). All I can say is that I play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with little to none effects. I like full and strong clean(er) tones like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton and Stanley Jordan, and my all-time favourite is Brian May's powerful and smooth sound.

Sorry, I know I didn't give that much info, but if I could get some amp recommendations for at most $600, or at least a point in the right direction, it would be really helpful.

thanks!
New or is used ok?
Just home practice or gig?
Nearest major city? (for craigslist posts if used is ok)
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
hmmm well first you have to decide tube or solid state (SS) okay well all of those guitarist used tube....always. However most tube amps for about 600 dollars dont have totally amazing cleans. The only two good ones are really the fender blues jr. and VOX AC15, both have a nice crunch and decent cleans, far from sparkly though. Twin reverb prbly has the best cleans of any amp (its a higher end fender). I would strongly not suggest most solid states, but there are some decent ones like the roland cube etc. still clapton had some edge and i would have to say the VOX or fender or even the epi valve jr are good amps
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Check out the cheaper Fender tube amps: Champ, Vibrochamp, Super Champ. I have the first two, and both are VERY good. You can mic them for shows, or plug them into a Cab.

That's just for the sound you're looking for. Peavey makes great amps in your price range, as does Marshall (solid-state, maybe the new cheap tubes called Haze), and tons of other companies. Check out Musicians Friend or Music123, or simply go to a nearby music store. Check out as many amps as possible.
Quote by brownsfan456
hmmm well first you have to decide tube or solid state (SS) okay well all of those guitarist used tube....always. However most tube amps for about 600 dollars dont have totally amazing cleans. The only two good ones are really the fender blues jr. and VOX AC15, both have a nice crunch and decent cleans, far from sparkly though. Twin reverb prbly has the best cleans of any amp (its a higher end fender). I would strongly not suggest most solid states, but there are some decent ones like the roland cube etc. still clapton had some edge and i would have to say the VOX or fender or even the epi valve jr are good amps

Solidstates... In my opinion, great amps. They last long, can be modded to sound better (if needed), and get sounds tube amps can't get. You can sound tubey with a solid-state, but you can't get the solid-state sounds with a tube amp.
Quote by Buck's Student
Solidstates... In my opinion, great amps. They last long, can be modded to sound better (if needed), and get sounds tube amps can't get. You can sound tubey with a solid-state, but you can't get the solid-state sounds with a tube amp.

Oct 2009

Welcome to UG.
Quote by gregs1020
Oct 2009

Welcome to UG.

Thanks. I figured I needed to join, after lurking for so long.
Quote by Buck's Student
Thanks. I figured I needed to join, after lurking for so long.

lol
'09er

anyway TS, ignore the oct '09er, SS sucks for what you want to play - check out some fenders for your clean tones. I dunno how well this would work (cue UG amp buffs) but how about Vox AC4 with a clean boost?
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
lol
'09er

anyway TS, ignore the oct '09er, SS sucks for what you want to play - check out some fenders for your clean tones. I dunno how well this would work (cue UG amp buffs) but how about Vox AC4 with a clean boost?

Pardon me, but Roland Jazz Chorus have some of the best clean sounds, and are solid-state.

Albert King used pretty crappy solid-states, long before today's technology that made solid-states better, and he still sounded like Albert King.
Quote by Buck's Student

Sorry, I don't think many solid state amps are modded. It's usually a more difficult process, due to the nature of the board.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Sorry, I don't think many solid state amps are modded. It's usually a more difficult process, due to the nature of the board.

You can mod them, though. As in, new speakers, etc.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, I wouldn't list that under a Pro for solid state amps, since that is also something that can be done for tube amps.

Well, it improves the sound.
I think until the TS returns and answers some questions, we're pretty much wasting our time.
I had an old Rickenbacker ss amp back in the 70s that sounded great... it did tend to pick up radio station though... in fact, many solid state amps that I have come across have really good cleans as long as you play them as lower volumes... as soon as you turn them up though... they become steryle, thin and brittle... micing them is really the only way to get around the thin sound at higher volumes... a good EQ, and a touch of verb to warm things up goes a long way.

Another problem with solid state amps is they have no tubes and since they don't have tubes you cant push them for tube saturation to get dirt and drive, so with a solid state amp you will need to be prepared to buy distortion pedals... overdrive pedals won't work properly... they can be used to add warmth and fatten things up a little... especially a tube preamp, but it will never sound like a genuine tube amp.

TS: I would definitely get a tube amp if possible... Blues Jr is a great amp in your price range, but with your budget you could also get a SCXD and a 2x12 extention cab and get SRV tones (especially if you had a strat) and some really nice sparkley cleans... and still be able to get some of those other tones you're looking for. If you check one out don't be discouraged by the small box and speaker, it really opens up with a cab.

Also... if you buy used off of Craigslist... I see used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe go for 500 all the time in new condition and DRRI for less than $700 sometimes... you could have a very nice amp if you took the time to watch the list.
~JP~