Page 1 of 2
PIT I NEED YOU!!!!

Okay, next Tuesday (October 20th) there is a Jazz Band audition. They are probably only taking two guitarists. My best friend is trying out, and I'm sure he will make it. Now there is one other kid I have to compete with and I really want to make Jazz Band.

What I need to know for the audition is basic site reading (the guy said I didn't really need to worry about that, but a site to learn some basics would be nice), some scales ( I already know the minor pentatonic and the major scale), a bunch of Major Chords, Minor Chords, and 7 chords (excuse me if I didn't say 7 chords right, but I need suggestions on what chords to learn for jazz, I know some already) a.k.a basic chords.

Also, my biggest issue is I need an audition song, obviously a Jazz Song. Something that shows off some chords and maybe some scales as well. THE GUITARISTS PLAY ALMOST ALL RHYTHM, SO A SONG WITH JAZZ CHORDS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL. Please, help me pit, I need answers

--Ed
Last edited by edkloczko at Oct 16, 2009,
so what is an easy song to play and solo over. you should try that
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
http://www.musictheory.net/

...Yes, it's that simple

If you know the major scale (dorian iirc), then you can basically play all 7 modes. It's all about how you place the scale relative to the key you're playing in.

Load up a jazzy track you know the key to, and then get improvising.

*DISCLAIMER* Våd Hamster is in no way a guitar teacher, or someone well versed in theory. He just plays shiz.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Oct 16, 2009,
Isn't it a little late? You can't just learn Jazz in a few days.

You need a standard chart. Look up the Jodie Grind.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by XianXiuHong
Why do you want to join a jazz band when you don't even play jazz?

First, I assumed you watched my youtube videos, so thank you for that. I would like to join the jazz band because I've become interested in it and I think it would be an awesome experience.
Know your chords and know them well. But do you have an audition piece to work on? or is it all just sight reading?

Eidt: oh ok I see now... I would maybe recommend some version of the the song St. Thomas. It's not that difficult and you can come up with some cool melodies.

here's a video, you don't have to make it as complicated as this guy does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsnNWKkeoHk&feature=related
Last edited by rmr024 at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by edkloczko
First, I assumed you watched my youtube videos, so thank you for that. I would like to join the jazz band because I've become interested in it and I think it would be an awesome experience.

Ah cool, jazz is seriously tough though, sight reading that stuff is major brain explosion, but it's so rewarding in the end because you'll develop much better technique and finger independence. I say go for it and if you don't get in, don't get too discouraged
Learn Major and Minor chords. 7th, 9th chords are very good. Jazz guitarists also use diminished and sustains a lot. And most importantly, arpeggios.

I'm learning Jazz guitar atm and it's damned hard.
Quote by rmr024
Know your chords and know them well. But do you have an audition piece to work on? or is it all just sight reading?

Eidt: oh ok I see now... I would maybe recommend some version of the the song St. Thomas. It's not that difficult and you can come up with some cool melodies.

here's a video, you don't have to make it as complicated as this guy does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsnNWKkeoHk&feature=related

that doesn't have guitar in it though, does it?
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Is this a proper serious band? Or are you just a group just chillin' and jammin'?

Jazz Band for my school, sorry if that wasn't clear.
Quote by XianXiuHong
The guy in the video is playing a guitar

Yea i missed that and just searched "St. Thomas" on youtube.
Learn the chord shapes for both barr chords and "open" chords.
Practice your jazz phrasing. This can be done by just listening to jazz players.

I'm in two jazz bands and love it.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
There are two separate emphases in jazz guitar: that of the combo, and that of the big band.

In big band, your focus should be rhythmic comping and melodic reading.

In a combo, you should focus on arpeggiation and chord color for use in both accompaniment and soloing.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Put a solo riff over Autumn Leaves. You will be envied by men and sought after by women. The band director will do anything to make love to you.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
The guitarists in the jazz band back when I was in school really only played chords.

Maj min 7th's Sus and Dim are used very very commonly (My chord chops weren't up to par so I was playing bass (my other instrument))
Quote by Meurglys3
Try playing A Night In Tunisia. When I played it in my school band, we'd have the first melody on guitar and then I'd play the chords for the other parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQYXn1DP38s
If you want to listen to it.

I could probably do that, where could I find tabs for it?
Quote by edkloczko

I lol'd.
I put a link to a lead sheet for it, you'll probably want to learn to read music if you play in a school band. But since I'm a nice/extremely bored guy, I made a tab of more or less what I played in band. If you want the rest of the melodies, I suggest you a) learn to read from the lead sheet I gave you and b) learn to figure out stuff by ear (not to sound rude or condescending, but those are really important skills).

Keep in mind two things about the chords in B section
1) They would not be played with the rhythms transcribed. They are to be comped . Since you are a beginner at jazz, you could just get by with playing the chords as staccato quarter notes.

2) You will notice that the bass notes in some of the chords are in parentheses. Generally the bass will take care of the root notes, and as a guitarist you will only play the "interesting" notes. But since you'd probably be auditioning by yourself, you might want to play those notes with your thumb to get a fuller sound.

3) Also, I made a little mistake. The chord before the C7 chord should just be (3)x3333 not (3)x3353, although the way it is there might sound cool too.
Last edited by Meurglys3 at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by Våd Hamster
I lol'd.

dude I could do that anytime the reason I said that I probably could is that I have a wedding to go to tommorow, and I need to learn it by Tuesday
I personally think that while Meurgly's piece is good, you need to figure out what the band leader wants. I guess it depends on age level, but where I come from, we were expected to always play as if we were playing piano: add color, don't play the root, and use syncopated rhythms, and not comp on the straight downbeats.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by edkloczko
I'm only 12 and have been playing for around a year.

I am also 12 and what is this?

Seriously though, you aren't allowed on the site unless you are 13.
Quote by edkloczko

I wasn't sure which one to do, so I just did both.

EDIT: 12? Underage b@.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Oct 17, 2009,
Go buy yourself a real book, learn some standards, and go in like that. Also learn the 6th, 5th, and 4th string root maj 7th chords, min 7th chords, dom 7th chords, and min 7b5 chords and know them like the back of your hand.

Only then will you have a chance of making it.
Quote by Holy Katana

I wasn't sure which one to do, so I just did both.

EDIT: 12? Underage b@.

They don't have tabs for it here...
Quote by schecter ftw
Since your only 12, its probably just a middle school jazz band. When I did that back in my day, I just had to know how to make a 7th chords on the E and A string and I was fine.

yea I'm doin okay with the chords, what I really need is an audition song
Quote by edkloczko
They don't have tabs for it here...

You missed the point completely.

EDIT: Lead sheet. Don't bitch about it if you can't read.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Oct 17, 2009,
Page 1 of 2