Well ????

Since i haven't saved up enough for a strat (i'm 16 and dont have a job) should i buy really good pickups like lets say Texas Specials....and put them on my Squier so i can get a more "Strat" sounding guitar....or
save up for like 12454343253453 more years and
get a real strat ???
is it worth it....???

I am a blues rock player.....and i like to have an extra PUNCH....to my guitar....
i really enjoy hearing the guitar scream....as well as....adding percussive hits on muted strings etc.etc.etc....what do you think ???

thank you all....
I would, in fact I plan to after I buy quite a few other things on my GAS list. I love the feel of a squier strat, but they lack that amazing sound. a 100$ investment would make it like a real fender for half the price
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
In my experiences, most Squiers are built quite well, but have terrible electronics. I'd say do it and be amazed at how much more full your guitar sounds
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Quote by Heylo12
I would, in fact I plan to after I buy quite a few other things on my GAS list. I love the feel of a squier strat, but they lack that amazing sound. a 100$ investment would make it like a real fender for half the price

yea...minus half the other things that make a fender a fender...
If you like the guitar enough, then do it. I'm currently modifying my Squier because I love the neck on it. It's more comfortable than any MIA 2008 Strat necks I've played.

But if the guitar does nothing for you, if the neck is slightly warped, the tuning wobbly, the jack socket crackling, the pots dirty, then maybe you are better off saving up and getting a MIM Strat, or better still, a MIJ Strat from ebay.
Do you have a good amp? Upgrading pickups are worthless if you don't have a good amp.
^ What he said. The boy needs a good amp.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
new amp before pups.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Good guitars consist of great sounding woods, flawless craftmanship, good quality electronics and hardware. Squiers typically lack all four. You can upgrade your pickups but I wouldn't spend a lot.
Quote by BobDetroit
Good guitars consist of great sounding woods, flawless craftmanship, good quality electronics and hardware. Squiers typically lack all four. You can upgrade your pickups but I wouldn't spend a lot.

unless your clifford the big red dog...your not gonna tell a whole lotta difference of wood, especailly if hes somewhat new. and electronics are replaceable for a reason d00d.

i say go for the pups and also what squire is it? if its a classic vibe series doo ettt
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
I guess it all depends....

Some of the Squiers and the early MIM Strats came with horrible sounding pickups but these days theyre equiped with much better parts so first thing, find out exactly what vintage Squier you own.

2nd, I'd look around on Ebay and buy a set of used pickups. I got my Rio Grandes for under $100 and saved a lot of cash by doing so. A "real Strat" can sound a lot of different ways but you might be thinking of one of the Fender "Vintage" pickup sets or the EJs. Texas Spls are a different flavor...

Try out some different Strats till you find a sound you like. Then try to find some used pickups.

The amp is the finale part of the tone chain, so you'll have to listen to some amps and once again, buy a good used amp. When I went electric, I dropped in at my local auction house abd bought a 100 watt Peavey 1X12 for $40.00 and a brand new Pignose 60 watt 1X12 for $25. You don't need that much power any more than I do (I sold those amps for a huge profit!) but the deals are out there.

Some cheap but good pickups and a 5 to 15 watt amp and you'll be set for a long time!

Good luck!
Do it!!

One day I'm going to change the pups in my pacifica strat [HSS]- I love that guitar - it is really great to play - - - apart from the all out noise from the single coils and the lack of real strength in the humbucker.

But I agree with the above - new amp before anything else.

If you only have enough money for pups or amp, Go for the amp.
Hey Ibanez - Left hand Xiphos? any chance!!??

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica
Ibanez RG 270L (with EMG 81/85)
Jackson RR V (with Dimarzio D Activator X)
Quote by westdyolf
unless your clifford the big red dog...your not gonna tell a whole lotta difference of wood, especailly if hes somewhat new. and electronics are replaceable for a reason d00d.

i say go for the pups and also what squire is it? if its a classic vibe series doo ettt

LOL

I would do it providing your squier isnt a bullet.

There are also other pickups you could try, not just fender ones.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Some Fenders are actually quite cheap, so you could sell the squier, and you wouldn't be that far off getting a Fender, also, don't forget Christmas isn't too far away so you could get it then. But putting Fender pickups in your Squier will make a big difference.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
What kind of Squier is it? If you enjoy the feel of your Squier then go for it.

By the way, Tex Specials aren't "really good". Sure they're good, but IMO "really good" belongs to handwound boutique pups. I'm not saying they aren't good, but they're not the best ever.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Ok for those that wanted to know...
my Squier is not a bullet its from the affinity series....
its a SQUIRE STRAT-Crafted in Indonesia
with a serial number of:
s/n ICO70724972- can anyone tell me what this means... (year, etc.)
i liked around online but not much help.....

thank you everybody......
Right on wikipedia.

Indonesian Squiers

IC: I = Indonesia, C = Cor-Tek (Cort), the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year.

IS: I = Indonesia, S = Samick, the serial number prefix is followed by a 2 number year.
So your guitar was made in '07 (2007).

Do you like your Affinity? Affinities commonly have thinner bodies and necks (nut width is smaller), unlike their counterparts.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Oct 17, 2009,