Hi there,
my friend says that sweep picking is not important, but I try to convince him that it is important... I need some backup, plz write why do you think it's important or why do you think it isn't.
There are different types of it, which really improve your style. It's not just metal stuff.

It doesn't matter what he think, it's what you want to play.
Might not be important to him, but to you it could be a different story

What is important for you might not be for other people.
Its music, nothing is important. There are lots of great songs without sweeping. It's only important if you want it to be.
Well ya music is subjective, but you would think that a guitar player would want to improve every aspect of his game if not whats the point?
i will agree on it being important, because it can help with other techniques and overall left hand and right hand synchronization.

however, most habitual sweep pickers are idiot metalheads that only do sweep picking, dropped power chords, and palm muting.

so i will say its unimportant, because music have survived wonderfully without it. i just use a little bit in practices to warm up
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
I don't think it's important at all. It's a good way to throw in a fast flurry of notes, but speed isn't everything. It's a good thing to know how to do, but I don't really find it useful. But I suppose it all depends what kind of music you play/write. If you play punk, the most difficult thing you will need to know is chords and hammer ons/pull offs. Alternatively, if you play neo-classical, you may feel sweeps are a necessity.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
it can be important if u want to play music that requires it. i love it, its fun to do but honestly idk if its all that important, i think ive only written like one solo that uses them. of course i play around with them alot but its a little hard to work them into songs with my band because we are not neoclassical at all more like some kind of nu metal meets metalcore(im bad at naming genres), its more like a free time thing i guess. although it is a good skill to learn because not many people know how to do it and it puts u one step ahead of the game u know? if he wants to be a lead player in some metal band and he shows up at an audition and sweeps like crazy im pretty sure theyll let him in, but lets say its some country band. theyre gonna be like wtf is that and why do we need it?
not if you hybrid pick arpeggios.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
It's not. Nothing is. I prefer string skipping arpeggios to sweeping them.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
In the greater scheme of playing the guitar no, sweep picking isn't particularly important.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It depends on what you want to play. If your goal is to pull off No Boundaries flawlessly, I guess it's important.

I see it more as a specialized thing, not a core technique, like alternate picking, or your overall sense of timing.
Quote by l.yac
Hi there,
my friend says that sweep picking is not important, but I try to convince him that it is important... I need some backup, plz write why do you think it's important or why do you think it isn't.

He's right.

In terms of things you should be learning and practicing and getting really good at sweeping should be pretty low down on your list of stuff, there are many more important things to think about:

Finger independence, bending, vibrato, solid alternate picking, phrasing, note choice and therefore by extension theory, legato, chord construction, soloing while following chords, picking hand tone...

I'm sure I could go on and on and on if I wasn't so damned tired.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by neptunose
all guitar master play sweep picking.. sweep make guitar sounds very beautifull. Look vai, Satriani, Jason Becker.......

Yeah but they also have everything ELSE down as well, you can bet that sweeping wasn't at the top of their "things I have to get down immediately" list, it would have been the basics first.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well i guess its a personal choice. Some people stick to a particular technique and dont try new things so yea. But anyway, i was wondering about the CORRECT technique of sweep picking. Is there a way that can yield the best results? While i sweep pick i usually dont move my thumb much but i let my wrist do the work and keep the pick relatively the same angle which is slightly downwards. I really dont know if im doing right and everytime i practice with a metronome i get a little faster but not much and i think it could be my technique thats slowing down the process.
If you have the basics down, And would like to open new doors, it is important.

Besides, there are some licks you just can't play without a Specific technique. Sure, taking an Arpeggio and turning it into a String skipping lick works, but The lower you go, doing that becomes impossible...

There is a purpose for everything. If you don't need it for your genre, its not important to you. But If its for my genre, Its important for me.

Its all about if you can use it. Thats what makes it "Important".
Sweep picking does not always have to be used in a context such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0SNdUCy_yk.

It could also be used to "sweep into a note"; to replace a rake, for example.

It definitely isn't the most important thing to learn, but it is a good technique to have under your belt.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE