so
i purchased a epiphone valve jr
love it
im running it through a 4X12 cab
is ther any way of makingit louder though?
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
mod it to have a effects loop, then send the out to a different power amp.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
mod it to have a effects loop, then send the out to a different power amp.

im confuse

this is what you should do

Guitar > Pedal > Amp > Dummy load > Power amp > Speaker
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
i dont know a whole lot about amp parts. but bigger transformer?
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Higher efficiency speakers will make it sound louder. A better than stock OT will improve its volume a little. An OT is gonna set you back 40$ or more, and speakers wont be cheap if you want high efficiency ones. Boosting the front end can help, my DoubleD pedal adds considerably to its overall volume but wont be clean. Boils down to its a 5w single knob amp amp if you want more volume you need more watts.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Oct 16, 2009,
Mic it???
DO YOU LIEK ME???

cause i dont like you

Quote by Floods_Solo
Lol. If insomniac's were called something less cool like "cock lords" or something I bet there would be significantly less people claiming to be it.
i think the easiest thing to do would be to get some higher efficiency speakers like Tackleberry suggested. this wont make it a whole lot louder and sure wont be cheap, but it is a quick option to squeeze some more volume out of what you have.

my next idea would be to try out a tube known for pushing a bit extra volume out of an amp. mostly you just get tubes that break up faster or slower, so actually getting more volume might be tough. but if you get tubes that break up a little later, i would think you could have more usable volume (stock sounded bad to me all the way up).

then my last idea would be to start modding the amp. a negative feedback loop is going to give you more clean volume, and hence more usable volume (see above parenthesis). there are a couple other things i think you could do to squeeze a bit of extra volume out of the circuit, but thats only if you dont have a problem taking your amp apart.

overall though, i dont think you are going to see a huge increase in volume. you can probably get enough to notice the difference, but it wont be like you can suddenly play medium sized gigs with it.
i mean,
im gigging with it already, it gets loud enough whe we mic it.
but, i was just wondering if there was any way of getting it een louder.
not necessarily cleaner as well,
ill probably just use a powre booster,
i have one of those laying aroud.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
Quote by Tackleberry
Higher efficiency speakers will make it sound louder. A better than stock OT will improve its volume a little. An OT is gonna set you back 40$ or more, and speakers wont be cheap if you want high efficiency ones. Boosting the front end can help, my DoubleD pedal adds considerably to its overall volume but wont be clean. Boils down to its a 5w single knob amp amp if you want more volume you need more watts.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
[quote="'xjosheex :['"]i mean,
im gigging with it already, it gets loud enough whe we mic it.
but, i was just wondering if there was any way of getting it een louder.
not necessarily cleaner as well,
ill probably just use a powre booster,
i have one of those laying aroud.

Mic it louder?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
There are two ways to make the sound louder, use more efficient speakers or use more of them. Doubling the cone area will give you an extra 3dB, and you may be able to find a more efficient speaker and get an extra 3dB or so by changing the existing 4x12. You won't be much louder though, you need 10dB to be twice as loud.

The next thing to try is to fool your ears and brain. Emphasizing the mids will make it sound louder and cutting bass will let you push the amp a little harder though at the expense of the tone you love. Using a compressor will make it sound louder too, this is the trick they use to make ads jump out of the TV at you.

On balance it would be cheaper and more effective to change the amp or go on using the PA to do the work.