Isn't bad at all imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ijJT5VX9c

Seriously, you just hate music if you dislike all these songs. There's probably like 7 songs in there that I can't stand, the others are solid songs.

Also, nostalgia wave for those who listened to the radio a lot(like me) 3-8 years ago. It isn't all emo and "Lil JAWN" in the 2000's like people love to claim.

idk if I should've made this thread, reaaaaallllly bored, and the vid reminded me of a lot of songs I haven't heard in awhile.

2000's mainstream rock ftw
I grew up listening to Blink 182. It's why im still so fond of them these days.
I really like A LOT of those songs. You're right, mainstream music isn't all bad, but people have always been saying that and they always will.

Edit:
Originally Posted by iantheman
I dislike all of those. It all sounds like the same band.

Same with me and classic rock, which was mainstrem then. The truth is that todays mainstream is tomorrows classic.
Last edited by sk8nalmost1394 at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by iantheman
I dislike all of those. It all sounds like the same band.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It's all the same post-grunge make-believe-alternative ****, with just a couple of exceptions.
Quote by toyboxmonster
Took the words right out of my mouth. It's all the same post-grunge make-believe-alternative ****, with just a couple of exceptions.

Name 2 songs that sounded the same out of all of those.
Sorry, but no.

Very few of those songs were even worthy of any top ___s of decade list.

...and the only good songs were Diary of Jane, Dani California, Chop Suey, and Headstrong.
Very few of those songs were even worthy of any top ___s of decade list.
Obviously, that's not why I posted the video though. It was just a nice recap of the popular rock that didn't suck imo.
While those songs are FAR from the worst music I've heard come out of the 2000s, I really do not listen to/like any of those songs/bands.
I love about 80 percent of that music because it's what I grew up listening to.
I still listen to quite a few bands on that list.
The Killers, RHCP, Creed, Incubus, Audioslave, Foo Fighters, Jet, Wolfmother, and White Stripes are the only bands I really listen to on that list.

Not a bad list, but there's SO much better songs released, this is more like, "The Top 40 HIT Songs of the 00's".

I should totally make my own one of these videos, for the hell of it.
Quote by guitarhero_764
You're cool.

Yeah, the only reason someone might dislike some music is to be cool. Shut up.
Quote by guitarhero_764
Seriously, you just hate music if you dislike all these songs,

Seriously, shut up. These songs do not encompass all music, they're not even anything like the majority of other music. If someone doesn't like it, they just have different tastes to whoever made that video, and it's completely immature and elitist to belittle them for their opinion on the most subjective thing in the world.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by guitarhero_764
You're cool.

music is all preference dude
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by guitarhero_764
Name 2 songs that sounded the same out of all of those.

ALL OF THEM.

Except the first track.
I hate statements like that "if you dont like the beatles you hate music!" "IF you dont like this song you don't know anything"
Quote by toyboxmonster
ALL OF THEM.

Except the first track.

Yeah, because the White Stripes totally sound like Breaking Benjamin.

Just, be quiet.
I liked about 60% of that list. I serously need to rethink the music I listen to, I like things that are mostly pussies listen to. My list would include other bands too, I would add Blink-182 and Avenged Sevenfold and many others so once again my opinion is the wrong opinion
Quote by whalepudding
Yeah, the only reason someone might dislike some music is to be cool. Shut up.
No, the only reason someone would say they all sound the same, when they clearly don't. I don't care if you don't like them, I'm not here to shove the bands down your throat or anything(I think of better bands myself).

Seriously, shut up. These songs do not encompass all music, they're not even anything like the majority of other music. You're making an arse of yourself.

I'm making an arse out of myself? You just told me to shut up twice. And that statement was obviously not 100% serious.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Just, be quiet.

why?

he is expressing his thoughts on the list. isnt that what this thread is for?

and again.......

MUSIC IS ALL PREFERENCE!
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by guitarhero_764
No, the only reason someone would say they all sound the same, when they clearly don't. I don't care if you don't like them, I'm not here to shove the bands down your throat or anything(I think of better bands myself).

Yes, they do. We're not trying to persuade you that they're all in the same key and playing the same riffs or progressions, only that they all use the same simple, repetitive, bland approach to guitar, for the most part the same impersonal, (probably producer-written) approach to lyricism, the exact same radio-friendly, slightly gruff I-Wish-I-Were-Kurt-Kobain-But-My-Label-Won't-Let-Me-Mutter-And-Yell-Like-Him approach to vocals, etc, etc.
To me, this is quite honestly very bland because it all sounds like it's been done by the same 5-6 musicians.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
why?

he is expressing his thoughts on the list. isnt that what this thread is for?

and again.......

MUSIC IS ALL PREFERENCE!

Subjective:

Band A and Band B suck.

Objective:

Band A and Band B sound the same.

When you're arguing the second, then it isn't just about preference anymore.
Quote by robotz!
OI. Why are metalhead so douchey about music?

Because in the real world, we're outcasts and the vast majority of people are "douchey" to us about our musical taste and the internet is our outlet.

OK, now seriously, I listened to the whole thing, this is what I can say.

Some of it was listenable, not a whole lot, the only song i genuinely enjoyed from the list is SoaD, if it was a couple of years ago maybe the Linkin Park song too but I can't listen to them anymore. There were a lot of better SoaD songs deserving that spot though in my opinion.

To me the majority of them sounded pretty bad, I wont say "samey" because every genre is like that, it depends on what your used to listening to but some of was so horrible it made me cringe. I cannot listen to Drowning Pool, My Chemical Romance or Nickleback or Wolfmother without deep feelings of hatred, I think it's just because of the amount of times they were on the radio on school buses, they drove me insane.

That said, there was definitely a lot of short term nostalgia in that video, good and bad I guess. Now I guess it's time for you all to vilify me for my opinion.
Quote by guitarhero_764

I'm making an arse out of myself? You just told me to shut up twice. And that statement was obviously not 100% serious.

Not obviously. A lot of people do say things like that seriously, your other posts seemed to back it up, and you made no effort to make it obvious you were joking. You have no idea how sick I am of people making statements effectively saying "everyone REALLY agrees with me and if they disagree they're trying to be cool".

And no, that's not the only reason. If someone is unaccustomed to hearing these types of music, they'll hear the things that are common in those genres and uncommon in what they listen to, and think that these songs are all effectively doing the same thing. For example, a blues fan might listen to different subgenres of blues and hear all the subtleties in the playing, the differing dynamics, different moods. A metal fan might hear the same chord progression over and over with little structural variation and repetitive unremarkable pentatonic wankery. Music is subjective.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by toyboxmonster
Yes, they do. We're not trying to persuade you that they're all in the same key and playing the same riffs or progressions, only that they all use the same simple, repetitive, bland approach to guitar,
You've described a good majority of popular bands from the past 4 decades right there. The Beatles were like that as well. Does the guitar work of Lifehouse sound the same as the guitar work of the Beatles to you?

You can have simple progressions and riffs and still sound good and different.

for the most part the same impersonal, (probably producer-written) approach to lyricism, the exact same radio-friendly, slightly gruff I-Wish-I-Were-Kurt-Kobain-But-My-Label-Won't-Let-Me-Mutter-And-Yell-Like-Him approach to vocals, etc, etc.
Disturbed, Incubus, Wolfmother, The White Stripes, Breaking Benjamin, Switchfoot, etc. sound nothing like the post-grunge style you described. The only bands I can think of on there that did that are Three Days Grace, Puddle of Mudd, Default, Lifehouse, Crossfade, and Trapt. The majority of the bands there sounded nothing like that.
Last edited by guitarhero_764 at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by guitarhero_764
You've described a good majority of popular bands from the past 4 decades right there. The Beatles were like that as well. Does the guitar work of Lifehouse sound the same as the guitar work of the Beatles to you?

You can have simple progressions and riffs and still sound good.

Disturbed, Incubus, Wolfmother, The White Stripes, Breaking Benjamin, Switchfoot, etc. sound nothing like the post-grunge style you described. The only bands I can think of on there that did that are Three Days Grace, Puddle of Mudd, Default, Lifehouse, Crossfade, and Trapt. The majority of the bands there sounded nothing like that.

I said we weren't talking about riffs and chord progressions. Nice job of reading my post, there.

Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Switchfoot, Evanescence, Sum-41, Good Charlotte, etc, etc all fit precisely under the post-grunge umbrella.
I listened to the whole thing and there were only about 4-5 songs that I liked. I prefer music thats a little more raw. Like Beck's early stuff and the With the Lights Out box set by Nirvana.
Quote by toyboxmonster
I said we weren't talking about riffs and chord progressions. Nice job of reading my post, there.
You said simple, repetive, approach to guitar. I wasn't referring to using the same chord progressions and rhythms, but what else were you referring to when you talk about simple approach to guitar? The tuning? :P

Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Switchfoot, Evanescence, Sum-41, Good Charlotte, etc, etc all fit precisely under the post-grunge umbrella.
Yet none of them have even close to the same vocal style. Where were you going with this(actually I see what you mean with Sum 41 and Good Charlotte, but the others aren't close at all)?

Not obviously. A lot of people do say things like that seriously, your other posts seemed to back it up, and you made no effort to make it obvious you were joking. You have no idea how sick I am of people making statements effectively saying "everyone REALLY agrees with me and if they disagree they're trying to be cool".
Ok, sorry then. Its just how I talk.

And no, that's not the only reason. If someone is unaccustomed to hearing these types of music, they'll hear the things that are common in those genres and uncommon in what they listen to, and think that these songs are all effectively doing the same thing. For example, a blues fan might listen to different subgenres of blues and hear all the subtleties in the playing, the differing dynamics, different moods. A metal fan might hear the same chord progression over and over with little structural variation and repetitive unremarkable pentatonic wankery. Music is subjective.
I disagree with you there. Maybe if the Blues song was acoustic driven, had around the same tempo, same key, same chord progression, then I might not notice subtle differences, but that's just because that's all there is.

I don't listen to death metal for instance, but I can clearly tell two bands apart. Experience has nothing to do with how with whether or not bands sound the same. Unless I'm just different from everyone else.
Last edited by guitarhero_764 at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by guitarhero_764
You said simple, repetive, approach to guitar. I wasn't referring to using the same chord progressions and rhythms, but what else were you referring to when you talk about simple approach to guitar? The tuning? :P

For the most part, powerchords, relying on the same repetition of simple riffs (the emphasis here being the repetition of the riffs, not the riffs themselves) a la Evanescene, Three Day's Grace, etc.., the reliance on the same song structures, etc. It's just a terribly unoriginal approach to guitar.
some of those were good, most were meh...
there is some good mainstream music but that gets raped by being overplayed on the radio and the rest is just crap
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
There is a lot of samey-post-grunge-shit in there. Part of it is modern production maybe.

EDIT: A giant +1 to toyboxmonster. Most of that music has no edge whatsoever, and DOES sound the same.
Last edited by Adam_G at Oct 24, 2009,