Page 1 of 2
I'll be short and to the point

I play thrash metal, progressive metal, shred, technical death metal, death metal, metalcore

Megadeth, Animals as Leaders, Metallica, Paul Gilbert, BTBAM, Jeff Loomis, Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Randy Rhoads.

Budget is about $1000-$1500.
An OFR is nice.
I want 24 frets.
REMEMBER 7 STRINGS.
No wood preferences or electronics preference.

If a pickup change is necessary, factor that into the cost.

Suggest me a guitar.

Ready, steady, go

TS is here

TS is not here
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Oct 16, 2009,
Schecter is your friend. Maybe a c7 hellraiser? Have you checked those out?
Blue Red Yellow Green
Schecter Blackjack ATX-FR 7

inb4 RG1570 or w/e

(I love Ibanez)

TS is here
What kind of amp do you have? That could make a difference

edit: my bad I just now read your sig
Blue Red Yellow Green
Last edited by FOYSTA at Oct 16, 2009,
Music Man Petrucci sig used
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by FOYSTA
What kind of amp do you have? That could make a difference

edit: my bad I just now read your sig

I'm buying an ENGL Powerball soon. Just so you know.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Sorry to double post, but in addition.

I've looked at some Schecters, and the only two that have appealed to me are the Hellraiser 7 and the Loomis 7.

With regards to the JP7, it looks badass, I'm trying to find a store in my area that has one.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Dang your gonna have some nice gear!
Blue Red Yellow Green
Quote by FOYSTA
Dang your gonna have some nice gear!

That's the idea

It's going to require me to sell my current gear though. I'm fine with that. Emotionally, I've gotten over it.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Just go for an 8 string. Ibanez RG2228 for sure. You can get them for 1700. Yeah, it's a bit out of your price range; however saving the extra couple hundred for that extra string is well worth it.
go Ibanez if you want a thinner neck, otherwise a Schecter is just as good imo
Schecter and Ibanez are the most popular brands in the ERG thread so...
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Progis8strings
Just go for an 8 string. Ibanez RG2228 for sure. You can get them for 1700. Yeah, it's a bit out of your price range; however saving the extra couple hundred for that extra string is well worth it.

As awesome as the idea of an eight string would be, I would not use the 8th string at all. Part of the reason I'm buying a seven string is that I can match up with my friend who is a bassist and is buying a six-string bass (so that my B can match his).

Also, I do not play ANY music with an eight string.

I'm trying to make my chug chug go DJENT DJENT.

So, how would an RG1527 with BKP or DiMarzio's sound?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
As awesome as the idea of an eight string would be, I would not use the 8th string at all. Part of the reason I'm buying a seven string is that I can match up with my friend who is a bassist and is buying a six-string bass (so that my B can match his).

Also, I do not play ANY music with an eight string.

I'm trying to make my chug chug go DJENT DJENT.

So, how would an RG1527 with BKP or DiMarzio's sound?

Amazing. That's how it would sound. Try out the RG1527 and the Schecter 7 string, and find out which one you prefer, as the necks are really different. However, you may want to consider Carvin's 7 string guitars. They're custom made in the USA, but factory direct so you could get one with all the specs you wanted for about $1500-1600. They also have better tone than the Ibby 7-strings.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
so pretty much the battle is:

EBMM JP7 vs. Ibanez RG1527 w/ BKP or Dimarzio's vs. Schecter Loomis vs. Carvin Custom 7
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
JP7 or RG1527, the basswood works best for a lot of those genres and people you listed
Quote by Junnage
so pretty much the battle is:

EBMM JP7 vs. Ibanez RG1527 w/ BKP or Dimarzio's vs. Schecter Loomis vs. Carvin Custom 7

I honestly don't think you'd get a very nice JP7 used at that price. They are excellent guitars, but the trem isn't as stable as an OFR7 or Edge Pro 7. The Loomis is nice if you like fat necks and EMGs. Try it out, it may be for you. However, I don't think active pickups are justified for the music you're wanting to play.

The two best ones are the Ibby and the Carvin IMO. All the Ibanez 7's I've played are an absolute dream in terms of sheer playability, and the tone isn't bad, but not amazing. The sustain is there, the harmonics are there, the punch is there, but it's a little thin and trebly as well. Maybe a pickup change would fix that. The Carvin is very playable, although not quite as nice as the Ibanez, but has much thicker, fatter, punchier, screaming tone.

You really can't make a bad decision out of any of these, but I'd personally go with the Carvin and learn to deal with the slightly thicker neck.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by DJ_Inferno2000
this

i dont think those ones exist, the only atx 7 has no floyd
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by ibz_bucket
I honestly don't think you'd get a very nice JP7 used at that price. They are excellent guitars, but the trem isn't as stable as an OFR7 or Edge Pro 7. The Loomis is nice if you like fat necks and EMGs. Try it out, it may be for you. However, I don't think active pickups are justified for the music you're wanting to play.

The two best ones are the Ibby and the Carvin IMO. All the Ibanez 7's I've played are an absolute dream in terms of sheer playability, and the tone isn't bad, but not amazing. The sustain is there, the harmonics are there, the punch is there, but it's a little thin and trebly as well. Maybe a pickup change would fix that. The Carvin is very playable, although not quite as nice as the Ibanez, but has much thicker, fatter, punchier, screaming tone.

You really can't make a bad decision out of any of these, but I'd personally go with the Carvin and learn to deal with the slightly thicker neck.

Well I've tried a JP6 and loved it. The trem was good enough for me, but maybe not. I didn't experiment too much.

Fat as in Les Paul neck fat, or wide at in the fretboard is wide?
EMG's might be fine. I mean I'm probably going to be playing Megadeth, Animals as Leaders, Metallica, Paul Gilbert, BTBAM, Jeff Loomis, Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Randy Rhoads most of the time (until I start writing my own music). And over half of those bands (or guitarists) use actives or passives that are very close to actives in terms of output.

I'm looking where I can play an Ibanez 7. I'm a bit nervous about trying to play a Carvin because I'd have to find someone that owns one...since they're all custom built.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Just up for one more go.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
One thing... you're not going to get Djent out of a bluebreaker. All the suggestions for 7s so far are good but that amp is NOT going to djent.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
One thing... you're not going to get Djent out of a bluebreaker. All the suggestions for 7s so far are good but that amp is NOT going to djent.

You clearly did not read other posts in which I stated I was to be purchasing an ENGL Powerball.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Although the MIJ RG7620 has been discontinued for a while, see if you can hook up with one: Basswood body + LoPro trem (arguably one of the best) + super fast neck. The PUs will need to be replaced for sure but for the price, you can easily afford 2 sets.

Quote by Ippon
Although the MIJ RG7620 has been discontinued for a while, see if you can hook up with one: Basswood body + LoPro trem (arguably one of the best) + super fast neck. The PUs will need to be replaced for sure but for the price, you can easily afford 2 sets.

How does this guitar differ from the RG1527?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Prestiges are slightly higher quality but I've never played an older non-Prestige MIJ. I'm going off of what Rich from Ibanesrules says. The RG550 and RG770DX reissues are period correct. They're made in the Prestige factory but they're not Prestige quality. I can see the difference in the fretwork in pictures, but it doesn't really affect anything. I based my purchase of my RG2550Z on a "non-prestige" RG770DX reissue and I didn't notice one difference in quality. From what people say, most people won't notice a difference. You'll end up with a great guitar no matter which you pick. But none of those older RGs can hold a candle to a RG1527M in terms of aesthetics.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Prestiges are slightly higher quality but I've never played an older non-Prestige MIJ. I'm going off of what Rich from Ibanesrules says. The RG550 and RG770DX reissues are period correct. They're made in the Prestige factory but they're not Prestige quality. I can see the difference in the fretwork in pictures, but it doesn't really affect anything. I based my purchase of my RG2550Z on a "non-prestige" RG770DX reissue and I didn't notice one difference in quality. From what people say, most people won't notice a difference. You'll end up with a great guitar no matter which you pick. But none of those older RGs can hold a candle to a RG1527M in terms of aesthetics.

True that.
I was thinking of getting either the RG1527 (or the M) and install a BKP Nailbomb in the bridge and a Cold Sweat in the neck

or

Schecter Loomis 7 String.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
You clearly did not read other posts in which I stated I was to be purchasing an ENGL Powerball.

No, you're right I didn't... but I wasn't being rude and I was only trying to help so if you want to take it that way then fine by me, I really don't care

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No, you're right I didn't... but I wasn't being rude and I was only trying to help so if you want to take it that way then fine by me, I really don't care

Okay. Sorry if I came off as being rude

What would be your personal suggestion for a 7? Or would you like to provide some pros and cons for each 7 string?
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
Okay. Sorry if I came off as being rude

What would be your personal suggestion for a 7? Or would you like to provide some pros and cons for each 7 string?

My own personal choice if I had the money for one would be a used Ibanez RG1077XL with a set of Bare Knuckles in it (not sure which set as yet), it's feels like an Ibanez whiich is ideal for me and has the extended scale length that gives a little extra tension on the low B which is good for teh br00talz.

BUT seeing as how they're rare and very expensive I have an RG1527 which is, as yet, stock but will be BKP'd when I have the money to do so. I'm an Ibby fanboy so it was the obvious choice.

It is worth noting though that if I did have the cash I would have a Schecter Loomis as well, I played one not too long ago and liked it enough to get over the fact that I don't much like EMGs...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Basswood blows. Get the Loomis! Amazing guitar. I have yet to play anything better. Ibanez and the JP models are to small and clunky and don't feel like they are worth what you pay in your hands. I have had zero problems with the Loomis and it just sounds amazing.
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
Quote by lethaldosage45
Basswood blows. Get the Loomis! Amazing guitar. I have yet to play anything better. Ibanez and the JP models are to small and clunky and don't feel like they are worth what you pay in your hands. I have had zero problems with the Loomis and it just sounds amazing.

Basswood is a perfectly good tonewood if you're looking for a balanced output with a punchy midrange. It's not as dark as mahogany but not as bright as alder which makes it nicely versatile.

As much as I did like the Loomis I played there's no comparing it to my RG1527, the craftsmanship on the Prestige range is some of the best you'll find out there right now...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Basswood is a perfectly good tonewood if you're looking for a balanced output with a punchy midrange. It's not as dark as mahogany but not as bright as alder which makes it nicely versatile.

As much as I did like the Loomis I played there's no comparing it to my RG1527, the craftsmanship on the Prestige range is some of the best you'll find out there right now...

Well I guess that means I just have to find a place to try out both.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
don't be afraid of basswood
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by miketheslut
don't be afraid of basswood

Never was. Never will be
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
bump
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by ibz_bucket

Actives can do any genre bro, just depends on what setup you use. For example, Blackouts could probably do just about everything, where as an EMG 81/60 could do most things, except clean for the bridge. If you wanted EMG's that could probably do anything I'd suggest an EMG 85/60 combo, but there's no need to say actives can't do everything, it just depends on your setup.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Page 1 of 2