I can play pretty good sitting down but when I stand up, I can't get anything right. How would I go about fixing this other than practice (Seeing as I already knew that). Any pointers of what I should do and not do? Thanks.
Your guitar is either way too high or low, either that or you have your fingering wrong.
Simply, there are no super cureall shortcuts. Practice.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
you already said it, the only way to get better is to practice. try playing while standing up all the time, since that's what you'll be doing if you ever decide to play a gig or something. might as well get used to it amirite?
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
play it the same height that you play when sitting.

so probably raise the strap, and lower it a little at a time over the next few weeks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

so probably raise the strap, and lower it a little at a time over the next few weeks.

or be liek Tom and don't lower it!
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
As stated, you basically just need to practice and get used to it. I used to be able to play nothing standing, now I can play basically as well as I can sitting, it's just not as stable.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Practice. That's all there is to it. Your wrist'll loosen up and you'll get more comfortable until it's just like sitting.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Oct 17, 2009,
Quote by Junnage

+100000

Just practice dude, and you'll eventually get the hang of it
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Raise your guitar up. As somebody said here a few days ago, good technique is better than looking like green day.
You know, the only way I've gotten better at that was by practice. Also, position your guitar so it is about where it is on your chest when you are sitting down, watch some Jason Becker videos.
Quote by jj1565

Does lowering the strap actually have any benefits? I don't see why it should be lowered at all if the guitar is easiest to play higher up.

Also I'm tired of seeing Tom Morello pictures in threads like these. Needs more George Harrison who also has his guitar higher up:

practice standing up and then when you get the hang of that try playing AND standing up
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Quote by dukeofmetal
practice standing up and then when you get the hang of that try playing AND standing up

Quote by Jecc
Does lowering the strap actually have any benefits? I don't see why it should be lowered at all if the guitar is easiest to play higher up.

Also I'm tired of seeing Tom Morello pictures in threads like these. Needs more George Harrison who also has his guitar higher up:

Yeah but... Tom Morello actually has chops...

I also raise you one John Petrucci:

and one Guthrie Govan:

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You just need to practice, I couldn't play at all standing up for a while, but it just develops with time. My problem was that I found it uncomfortable to play high frets, so if that is your problem, just raise your leg slightly to turn the guitar on a bit of an angle then it is a little easier. You should try raising your strap too, like evryone else said.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
I hated standing and playing, everything felt akward even after raising the strap, but eventually it just clicked, it didn't take that long for me either, to start off with I just played the easier songs I knew.
Normally everyone starts playin up high then after time it goes by they lower the strap. As for me I tried it but I kinda got pissed at how slow this progress was so I just went low and started playing (now alot better than a few weeks ago playing standing)
Quote by Jecc

yes, i play my acoustics high like dave matthews.

i was saying he could eventually lower it, because i assumed he was wanting to play it lower.
and that's why he was having the problem to begin with.

also by lower i didnt mean at the knees. imo, that's just so wrong.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 17, 2009,
Ahh. You guys gave me plenty to read. Thanks, and I never thought of the slowly lowering it. I don't really like playing it with the strap high standing up, it feels a bit awkward. But it doesn't sitting down. I guess I'll just have to take it slow. And I even f*** up on the lower frets, lol. Thanks again.
just stand up and play. you'll get use to it.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

George Harrison has so many chops, he's practically giving them away.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I also raise you one John Petrucci:

and one Guthrie Govan:

I raise you an Oli Herbert.

Take that ^^
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

When I first saw the Beatles play, I and my friend/band members thought it looked really odd the way they played with the guitars up so high, but that sure did not distract from the way they sounded.

I played rhythm and some lead in a surf rock band at that time and that forced me to play standing up. Rhythm was a lot easier to play standing up at first and gradually played more lead as I got better.

As has been posted, just practice, practice, practice.
Quote by Jecc
George Harrison has so many chops, he's practically giving them away.

muttin' chops don't count.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Play in pitch black sitting down. This will help you get less dependent on your eyes for playing and you could develop a better ear and a better feel for the guitar. Then you should be fine standing up. And if seeing the fretboard wasn't the issue. Start with your guitar strapped up high like beatles style and then gradually move it down once you get the hang of it.
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Quote by Junnage

This.

Also, maybe you're wearing your guitar too low. Don't be afraid to bring it up a little bit. Don't worry, you won't look nerdy if you can play good.
Just play how ever you find comfortable, good idea playing in the dark though, i've done this, it really does just makes you more comfortable with your axe.
Prime example of being amazing, and awesome with guitar still high would be
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
You just have to mess around with the strap length and the neck angle till you get it right...